Breastfeeding Issues By Evenings.. Pls Suggest

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Meenu1991, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Meenu1991

Meenu1991 Bronze IL'ite

My baby is 18 days old and is very normal during the daytime. Has feeds properly once in 2 or 3hrs and dozes off. But when its after 3PM he needs feed every 1hr and doesnt sleep. He either cries or just simply lies down with his eyes open.. finally my nipples get sore by constant sucking. And we give him formula. Only after that he sleeps in the night.
    Am confused whether am not having much milk. When i squeeze, i can see there is milk. But is it not enough for him?
    Am very worried when evening time starts, as he becomes unconsolable.
    He isn't colic i guess. Because when his stomach is full he sleeps well. When it isn't he keeps crying.
    I take all breastMilk helping foods, garlic, methi etc. And my breasts leak. Since he takes feed every 1hr i guess milk becomes less in evenings.
    Has someone faced an issue like this?
    Please suggest a solution.
    Am not worried about giving formula, but am scared if my milk supply will become less slowly.

2. Deborah

Deborah Gold IL'ite

Hi. Since when has the baby been behaving like this? since birth or did you notice this change ( more hungry in evening ) only lately? If it is only from past few days, don't worry. It's completely normal. Babies go through growth spurt stages( you need to read about them) . During such times, they always want to stay on the breast. It is called cluster feeding.It solves 2 purposes- 1) baby's body is going through a growth phase and he is genuinely hungry. 2) the more the baby suckles, more milk is produced by Mom's body. It is based on supply and demand. So, the baby is actually training your body to make more milk as per his requirements.
    I suggest to keep feeding him as much as he wants.Do all your chores in the morning and be relaxed by evening , just sit in bed and feed as much as the baby wants till his hunger gets satisfied. It's important that you maintain a good diet too. And generally babies feed and sleep but slowly when they start getting active , they manage a wake time of 30-40 mins. Trying keeping baby up for a while during the day. Play with him or just let him look around. Keep the rooms bright during day so that he is not confused between day and night . Giving formula is totally your call. Keep feeding him too. Such phases will keep coming . Read about it.All the best.

Meenu1991, sindmani and BhumiBabe like this.
  3. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

Your baby is only 18 days old, and is still in the learning stage of breastfeeding. I understand the desire to keep the baby's tummy filled by supplementing with formula, but it is not really necessary. I remember my own son, trying the BF but getting lazy and just crying that the milk isn't coming the way he wants it. In fact, he refused one breast and only preferred my left side to BF (definitely not a pleasant experience for me).

Whenever he gets lazy and cries despite being offered breastmilk, I express some milk into his mouth to keep him motivated (and just easing the fullness). I also changed my position, while BFing, and it helped a lot. Instead of sitting on the floor or chair to feed him, I started lying down, with baby right next to me. Thinking back on it, I only did that after the first month, because I couldn't figure how to do it painlessly before that. This may help baby relax, because mom's body heat is right there to snuggle in.

At Deborah mentioned, read up on cluster feeding. Here's a link: Cluster Feeding Tips - 7 Tips To Cope With Cluster Feeding | BellyBelly

This definitely sounds like it. For the sore nipples, try using Lanolin or coconut oil. Don't wear a bra (just wear a button up shirt or nightie.

Good luck, Meenu and congrats on your new baby!

Meenu1991 likes this.
  4. Leena1992

Leena1992 New IL'ite

Hi I am leana from India mainpur I am married to South India guy last year I have a baby of 5 months. My question is that . I am still wearing manja thali but its old now how should apply mangal agin please help me . My husband wants me to wear only yellow threat only his not agreeing for gold chains nowadays mybaby lick my thali threat. The colour is gone fully. And it's very long to. Any one please tell how long it should be and how to apply mangal for if