Breastfeeding Issue Last Time...any Suggestions !!

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Daffodil13, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Hi All,

Thanks for all the support, advice, suggestions provided by you during my tough phase of pregnancy. With all your wishes , help and god's grace I have crossed them all...and now I am currently in 35th week and approaching close to my delivery...

There were days when I was totally scared and down with the complications I had in pregnancy. Special thanks @Laks09 , @Vasumathy ...who have given me lot of confidence and support. And many other friends here who passed on their best wishes to me.So glad that I found this group...

Now I am here with another query...hope you all ladies help me by providing suggestions.

A little long post, pls bear with me. I wanted to explain what I had gone through previous delivery so that you will be able to give me right suggestions.

I had a very bad experience with breastfeeding last time. I had gone through normal delivery so c-sec is not the reason(many ppl say c-sec will delay for BF hence this statement, nothing offensive). Actually my mom who is there during my delivery time couldn't help much as she herself is not aware of BF. Both me & my sister were on bottle feed from day 1 it seems. My sis also had same issue and couldn't breastfeed both her kids more than a month. So when it came to me, no one was around to help me. Immediately after delivery , I tried to BF my daughter but couldn't happen. Not sure whether I lack that skill or baby couldn't latch. It went on like that for 2-3 days and nurses in meanwhile gave formula milk to my daughter. And also I have been put on medication to increase milk supply. It increased but suddenly milk formed as clots in breast and started paining very badly. It turned in to an infection and I got fever. Doc suggested not to feed that milk as it is infected. In hospital I have to forcefully express that milk out...it was very very painful process. Even now I can't forget that pain...all this process took more than a week and my daughter adjusted to bottle feed by then. Later I tried many things like breast pump, food changes etc but nothing helped. My daughter refused to take BF and more inclined to bottle nipple. I barely gave her breastfeed for the first two months. Even in those two months it's both mine and bottle feed. By 3rd month, I had no milk and had to stop completely.

I have this guilt that I couldn't provide my milk to my baby...I know that's that best thing to do as a mother but I failed last time. I really want all your help and suggestions now so that I can BF at least this baby. Any precautionary steps to take before delivery itself ? I mean any changes in food or etc so that I don't go through same cycle like before.

Actually I wanted to consult lactation consultant as well to understand on what can be done. I am wishing to feed this baby at least 6 months...

Pls help all experienced ladies...

Last edited: Jun 12, 2017

2. deeprapriya

deeprapriya Gold IL'ite

OP,

You dont have to feel bad for this.

I think the more we bottle feed, the more the child get used to it. so put lots of effort in the first 2 days of delivery.Take your mom's help. And even if the baby likes or not, try to feed every 2 hours in hospital. This make your baby latch..... dont give much gap between the feeds....use a pillow on your laps to keep the baby..... you will also feel comfortable by doing this..... Try to avoid formula milk to the max..... if there comes a situation of using formula, dont use bottle & nipple..... use Paladai/Sangu/Filler(which we use during initial days to give medicine). so that baby will latch when it gets feed from you....

sindmani, Daffodil13 and SpritualSoul like this.
  3. fourthaugust

fourthaugust Gold IL'ite

Hey dear
    I breastfed my elder son for 2.5years. And currently feeding my 8momths old. As the above poster said, it is very important that you do not give any bottle to your baby. Instead give them fillers etc.
    Please do see a lactation consultant. I have had c section both the time but still I could breastfeed both my babies. Some babies are easy but with some babies you need to have immense patience. Breastfeeding is very hard work and does not come naturally. Seconds after you have baby(ifnormal) do put her onyour breast and feed as much as u can. Believe me the more you feed the sooner your milk will come in and the more your baby sucks the more expert she will become and will be efficient enough to empty you in minutes after a couple of weeks.
    Wish you a very happy and enjoyable breastfeeding relationship.

4. SpritualSoul

SpritualSoul Gold IL'ite

First thing to be done is.. we have to prepare our breast for BF..

From now on start applying olive oil or almond oil in areola area and massage slightly and then pull your nipple softly.. this will help your baby to latch properly... Do this daily before bath.. also use very mild soap..

Include lot of garlic from now onwards.. drink lot of milk.. have sadhavari powder/leghya daily twice, this will help for normal delivery and BF

sindmani and Daffodil13 like this.
  5. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks deeprapriya...this time I will try to feed every 2 hours and see. I hope everything works out good.

6. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks fourthaugust...I think as you said my daughter is not easy baby in terms of BF or I didn't try much from my end. After delivery, I lost all my energy and use to feel sleepy whole day. I use to try BF only when baby cried..I think that is mistake.. this time as you all suggested I will get some patience and try to feed every two hours.

fourthaugust likes this.
  7. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks dear...I will start following your advice. I will try to get sadhavari powder and try. Can I get that from any pathanjali outlet?

8. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Daffodil,
    Its good to hear you have crossed big part of the pregnancy journey. :)
    I wish to second the other ilites reply.
    My first delivery was c section. Myself and dh refused to give our daughter formula feed when the nurses where ready to initiate it. From the first moment it was breast feed and I continued it even though the supply was not sufficient. My daughter used to be in my lap all day because of it. Still I continued the bf. Everyone was like its not enough, need to think about other things. But I din give up. Pediatrician at her 45th day vaccine, asked to start formula feed as there was no weight gain. After that I gave bottle feed, still tried my best through bm. Life was hectic until 3+ months vaccine. Since my girl has gained some weight and bottle feed was less, peds asked to stopped bottle feed. By 5+ months I introduced solids and slowly she picked up weight. But still I breast fed her till 1 and half years.
    I ate lot of garlic, fenugreek powder, fishes and more vegetables and fruits. Juices and had lot of water. Used galact and propl supplements with milk. All these helped me.
    With my second pregnancy I didn't have much trouble on bm aspects. Second baby understood that first baby is taking mom. He has to use the time spent on him.
    Coming back to yours.. Breast feeding needs lot if patience and confidence from mom side. Trust yourself. You can make it.

Daffodil13 likes this.
  9. SpritualSoul

SpritualSoul Gold IL'ite

As you mentioned good to use powder instead of leghya..Bcoz leghya will be sweet.. yes u can get in patanjali outlet..

I used kandige product..bought via amazon.. it tastes yummy so will not miss to have it ... Had it thrice a day
    IMG_20170613_120827.jpg

Buy Khandige Organic Shatavari Lehya- 250g, Helps In Rejuvenating The Female Harmonal And Reproductive System, Lactation Supplement Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

Daffodil13 likes this.
  10. Daffodil13

Daffodil13 Silver IL'ite

Thanks spiritualsoul, I will check in amazon and see. So can we start now at 36 weeks ? I mean both this powder and garlic?