1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breastfeeding immeadiately after vaccination

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by satin, Jan 29, 2011.

1. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

SO far I always used to breasfeed my baby immeadiately after vaccination,I mean as soon as the doctor injects the vaccination I ask for a room and go and feed him,is it correct,I have asked the doctor too,but my mom says it is incorrect and we should wait atleast for an hour before we feed the baby,like today my baby got measles vaccination and I fed him immeadiately too and my mother started scolding me when I called to tell her that my baby has been vaccinated.Is it correct,did I do anything incorrect,will the vaccines be working effectively?I would be relieved if someone could answer my query.

Thanks

2. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

I don't think feeding the baby has anything to do with the vaccinations not working. The vaccinations are going through the bloodstream and the milk is going through the stomach. They do not interact.

Generally when the baby is in pain, crying a lot, BF calms them down and makes them feel safe. They are more likely to fall asleep. That is good since they won't have to be awake to the continued pain of the shots.

The only thing to be careful about is that the baby is crying so much, that they are not breathing as well and feeding them then may cause some choking. This applies more to the bottle than BF since, they can unlatch at any time to breath more easily at the breast than at the bottle.

I used to BF my baby after he got his shots too. I also gave him the recommended dose of pain releiver and that helped him fall asleep real fast.

3. SANARUN

SANARUN Silver IL'ite

Hi,

Here is what both the paeds of my LO have suggested: Any vaccination is the weakened virus of that particular disease and our BM is so full of antibodies which would naturally act against any virus. So, every time i go to her paed, he would tell me not to feed her atleast for an hour. I have just shared an information...dont panic..i dont think any harm is done.

Next time, try to divert him through some other manner.

sangi

4. satin

satin Silver IL'ite

I forgot to ask this question to my baby's paediatrician this time too and yes I am a little worried now.Hope my habit didnt do any harm to him and the vaccines worked well,what else to say.

5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

I dont think there's the slightest evidence that breastfeeding weakens the body's active immune response against vaccines in any way.Breastmilk certainly does not contain enough antibodies of a particular type to completely bind with and neutralize every bacterium/virus/toxoid in a vaccine and render it harmless so even if there was a tiny degree of neutralization there would be more than enough organisms left over to trigger the body's immune response and result in active antibody formation. I disagree completely with whatever pedi said that and Satin I would say just do as you always do and nurse - it wont harm your baby in any way.

Vanathi.

6. seeabitha

seeabitha Bronze IL'ite

I have asked this question to my paed itself and she said that there is no harm

There are few vaccines (Like Rotovirus and i think poliodrops) after which we should not BF and it will be informed to the mom

7. blushingbaby

blushingbaby New IL'ite

i feel if they are oral drops like polio or rota viral vaccination we ought not to feed for fifteen twenty minutes as the baby might puke the vaccine. if it is shots then i also breat feed my baby to calm him down immediately. so no harm i think as my paed never said anything for the shots.

8. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

All 3 times my daughter has had vaccines so far including 2 shots and an oral rotavirus vaccine, I was told to breastfeed, to comfort her.

9. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite

All 3 times my daughter has had vaccines so far including 2 shots and an oral rotavirus vaccine each time, I was told to breastfeed, to comfort her.

10. Confused211

Confused211 Gold IL'ite