1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Breast Milk - Please advise

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by Padminiramesh, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Neetu_kumar

Neetu_kumar Senior IL'ite

Agree with you completely Vidyaa. I'm glad you chose the right thing:thumbsup.

2. Padminiramesh

Padminiramesh Senior IL'ite

Even i was asked to BF my LO when i was fallen in sick. The very first question my dr asked was ' did u stopped bf?' I said no and she was happy with that. My GYN, Pedi and lactation consultant strongly recommended to BF my LO when i had fever.

3. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

Let me add my two cents. As Dubbi said, medicine is a profession that is evolving every day with new research results and all these results are published in reputed peer reviewed medical journals. What was common practise yesterday (for eg. something which we discussed here in IL , giving gripe water ) can be considered totally wrong today based on new research results. I work in research, so it is very natural for me to ask for proof based on research and that is where tikka comes from, I guess.

Having said this, let me put myself in Anitha's shoes. She has got a premature baby and was told by hospital staff to be extra careful when people with illness are dealing with the baby. This has made her very cautious. So, while telling to breastfeed when sick it is also important to mention to get the sickness treated.

4. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Not to stir up this controversy again - this is for information for other moms who are readin and may read this thread in future. The following is from the AAP

Similiar info is also put out by the WHO and other national bodies. Please do listen to this rather than to family members or friends who may be misinformed.

Vanathi.

PS - The original is at A Woman’s Guide to Breastfeeding

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

dear anitha, i second lee... we were just trying to help aishu, and trust me with good intentions....
    you know what is best for your baby, so be it !
    yes neither me, nor tikka, in that case none of us here are medical professionals...except vanathi. and thats exactly why we do our bit of googling , asking around and research, so that we can help ourselves, and at times needed, help those whom we know

anitha, i have EBF my baby, even when i was on a/b due to gastro intestinal issues. i also have EBF my baby when i was running fever and ofcourse it was viral... i did take precautions to wash my hands and keep the room and myself sanitized as much as possible.not to sneeze or cough on the baby etc. that is common sense... but under no circumstances have i left feeding her.

i remember when i went to meet zoeys paed, and mind u he is the best this city has. he told me feed her only for 15 mins every 2 hours, coz if u let her suck, she will latch on her way to glory since babies love to suck.but i knew what i had to do, do wat my mommie instinct said...
    there were days when zoey would latch on for hours together, sometimes for comfort, sometimes coz she was just not too well, sometimes when she was growth spurting...
    it was ladies and friends here who kept telling me wat i was going through was normal(thanks tikka)

now at 3.5 months zoey is perfectly on schedule! is a whooping 6 kg healthy pumpkin

anitha all moms here..... are a closed knit circle.... HTH each other.... and we wouldnt advice wat we dont do with our own babies...

end of the day,its your call for ur baby.... lets keep this forum hitch free!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010