1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Boys And Hygiene

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by chaaral, Jun 6, 2017.

1. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    My son is in middle school and starting to get acne. how do i teach him the importance of cleanliness.
    I need to keep reminding him to take shower, wash his face,hands etc. as the weather is mostly cool here, he doesn't sweat much so the constant need to wash his face is not there. i dont want to keep on nagging him but trying to think of some creative ways to make realize how important it is to wash face regularly in teens. so skin is clear. thanks!

2. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

I don't have a teenager, but my brother showered 2x or 3x a day, depending on what he was involved in. Like if he had soccer practice or tae kwon do. There were 3 reasons why he showered so much, (1) because he sweated during practices and (2) he's allergic to grass so rinsing off lowered his symptoms, and (3) my dad would also spend time to maintain his cleanliness. In my family, we don't leave the house until we showered in the morning. After we enter the house for elsewhere (outside, garden, etc.), we always washed our hands. Afterschool, my mother would remind me to wash my face, but I never really did that, until now, as an adult.

I'm sure you are already supplying him with male-friendly soaps and bodywashes. Somehow smelling more manly become more important to teenaged boys.

sindmani likes this.
  3. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

Thanks BhumiBabe for your reply. wow awesome about 2x or 3x :)
    i let him choose his deodorant and soaps and towels so he feels he in control. they had health classes in school. gym clothes never come home until i threaten him.
    my little one has seasonal allergies so she takes shower after playing outdoors.

4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Summer vacation has started here. What are male-friendly soaps and bodywashes? I am guessing "Dove" soap doesn't fall under that category. : ) Some names would help. I am seriously done with guessing without smelling. If I remind and a shower has already been taken, a yuuge teenage tantrum breaks loose! If I don't remind, the shower might not happen. Grr..

In addition to soap names, I need pithy lines. This one doesn't have effect anymore: "Why do you think taking a shower at least once a day is optional? Is your BO God's gift to mankind?"

:)

SunPa likes this.
  5. chaaral

chaaral Silver IL'ite

I got Fresh Kidz boys blue for him. he got a sample of oldspice from school.

Rihana likes this.
  6. BhumiBabe

There's Dove for Men, Axe, Dial for Men. Just look for manly packaging...it fools them all the time :p

I don't have the pithy oneliners handy for you, though have you tried social shaming - nothing too traumatizing, but threatening to share embarrassing jokes with their friends?

Rihana likes this.
  7. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Wow.. didn't know these existed. Not that it is my job to know! Is dad's!

I thought only deo's and anti-perspirants are gender based. Now dont' tell me there are also his and her baby diapers!

OP, sorry for hijack. : )

8. BhumiBabe

There are gender specific diapers... Huggies pull-up for girls have pink packaging and for boys is blue packaging. Apparently there is a difference between the design, with boy styles having more absorbency in the front verses the middle. While it seems so crazy, 2-year olds are a tough crowd. Currently, I can only get my son to wear things that have cars or dinosaurs on them - things that most 2-year old girls DON'T care about.

And there's Nivea for Men too... I forgot about that.

Rihana likes this.
  9. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@chaaral he will learn on his own. He will get conscious of his acne and will look for remedies.all part of growing up.
    Just ensure you tell him he will have small potholes or whatever you want to call them, if he meddles with them( my young man did that all the time)
    Just tell him drink loads of water and keep the face clean. ( what's it with washing the face and boys.. they don't like it much when moms ask them to do it and one day you see them applying face mask voluntarily and roaming around in the middle of the night..lol)

@Rihana not just diapers.
    There is a range of anti wrinkle and the like series cream for men. You need to call on google devta for a surprising revelation.

My son uses..
    khadi neem, tea tree oil based shampoo because dandruf is something they latch on in hostel. Same with soap. He is happy with dettol lemon or orange. Face wash st.ives. Deo and perfume brut. Cream jergens musk.

Sample:

http://www.nykaa.com/search/result/?q=Men

Rihana likes this.
  10. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Dial and old spice seems to work . Breakfast is served only after a shower at home. I made that rule few years ago when I needed some order to manage the morning chaos and now its a habit After they come home from a game or a practice they need to head directly to their bathroom shower and change into their pajamas or they aren't getting no snack. Hunger is a powerful motivator for a teenager I have come to realize.