1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bottle or Not?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by sumanr, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Ramay - Dont know if this will help but there is a bottle which comes with a spoon at one end. So when you tilt the bottle the milk comes onto the spoon and LO can drink from the spoon. My cousin used that to supplement and the baby is still BFing with no niplle confusion issues. Maybe that would help you.

V.

2. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

V - Really? I never knew. I tried googling it out and found something ...is this what you mean -
    Linco Baby Merchandise Work's Co., Ltd.

Any idea of brands that are recommended and experiences?

3. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Yes, it looks like that. I'll ask her about the brand and get back to you tomorrow.

V.

4. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Yessssssss, DH saw something like that in Naidu hall last week, he was telling me :)

5. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Yes, this was a similar one I had but mine was a long bottle got it as a gift. Still stays unused. Wish I could just pass it on.

6. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hey all

Was reading something and want to share it.
    Avent has soft spouts that can be used for 3 months + (thought Avent website says it can be used for 6 months). These can be fixed to the Avent feeding bottles. I am thinking if I can start with this and then shift to Avent Sippy cups (The spout is the same, except that it is hard)
    What say?

Pon - Does DH remember the brand or something? I will check Naidu hall.

7. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

Hey, this looks really good..i never knew this or else I would have practiced this instead of bottles...

when can I introduce sippy cups? What kind of sippy cups should I ask for ?

Vidyaa

8. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Vidyaa,

You can start now. I used bottle till 3 months, bowl and spoon till 6 months after bottle, after 6 months sippy, slowing moving to cup directly. You can get the sippy and see how LO gets adjusted else bowl and spoon is the best.

The major disadvantage of using the bottle for longer is the upper lip develops a pout and needs to be massaged after ever feeding so that it settles down. Longer bottle feeding can even thicken the lips. Plus the jaw muscles used for bottle and BF are different so after sometime you will notice that the baby is just latching and biting on tightly on the breasts waiting for the milk to flow like in bottle.

Hard spout sippy cup with BF is an ideal combi.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2010
  9. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Ramya - the brand are Sarlin and Pigeon. My cousin bought hers in Best babies, Anna nagar. She says sarlin is better as the spoon is soft unlike Pigeon where the spoon is hard plastic.

V.

10. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Thanks Vanathi. Will check out and let u know how it works.

Vidyaa/Lee - From what I read, soft spouts added to feeding bottles can be introduced as early as 3-4 months. Hard spouts with sippy cups are for toddlers (after they sit). Vidyaa, since LO is 4 months now, u can try soft spout. I think I saw them at Mothercare, Style 1 and at Shanthi's (Avent brand). But not sure how it is sold.