Born Christian And Confused: Please Advise

Discussion in 'Religious places & Spiritual people' started by SoniaG, Jul 14, 2016.

1. SoniaG

SoniaG New IL'ite

Friends,

Please discuss and don't abuse if it hurts your feelings.

I am a born Christian as my parents converted to Christianity. Except going to church on sundays, i rarely got into Christian beliefs. For the past 3 years or so I have been reading about Christianity and other religions, Ramana Mahirshi teachings etc. Like many educated westerners believe, I too feel that the Bible is manipulated and the true message of Jesus is lost. What we are left in Bible is primarily Paul (i.e., Jesus hater's) religion. My father who happens to be a pastor got really annoyed when I discussed this with him. My husband goes to church but doesn't care about what I do. My father says that God will curse me if I leave church blah, blah... but I know he is more worried about his parent congregation in US who support his church financially. Should I be afraid of God and go to Church or follow my will?

2. momsky

momsky Gold IL'ite

You're confused because your devotion to God is not solid. Whether the Bible is manipulated or not, it should not matter really. The important thing is your belief in God, your understanding of His teachings and how you apply them to your life, and lastly, your devotion to show your gratitude and love towards our Father.

I'm Catholic but not traditional. I don't go to Church on a regular basis but I read the Bible and pray every night before I sleep. I'm also a devotee of Mama Mary, I survived so many pains and heartaches since my childhood and praying to her always brings me comfort, courage, and solution.

Like you, I've read the teachings from other religions but it did not make me question my own beliefs as a Catholic. It actually amazes me how teachings are very similar to each other. It's the followers and their ways of showing their love and devotion is what differentiate one religion to another.

Now, as to being cursed if you leave, I don't so if you are really going to be devoted...

KashmirFlower likes this.
  3. sbonigala

sbonigala Platinum IL'ite

God is God for a reason.
    If curses you for not following him, what is the difference between us humans and God?
    God is love and God is nothing but Love and mercy.
    Now lets leave aside the validity of Bible - thats a totally different debate.

I am not a born catholic. I converted to Catholicism by choice after I realized how God has been with me in all my ups and downs of life. I am a practicing catholic now.
    I have read Bhagavadgita and Ramayana and also preaching of many learned. All those boil down to one thing - Love your neighbor.

As @momsky pointed rightly, its the followers that mess it up big time.

momsky likes this.