1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Books To Read - To Suggest My 12 Year Old Daughter ....

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by FE40, May 30, 2016.

1. FE40

FE40 Silver IL'ite

My daughter fancies reading Famous Five and Enid Blyton (almost all done in all the series).

Pls suggest me what other books/authors can i suggest her ....

2. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Is she too old for Roald Dahl? I still love reading Charlie and the chocolate factory. Maybe have her read the BFG before the movie releases.

Is she past the Harry Potter stage?

How about Anne of the green gables?

Comics? Archie's, Tintins, asterix, Calvin and Hobbes etc etc. so much fun. Mine hates comics but I'm going to try and get my son interested in some.

Books like Chandamamas(old bound ones are available), ACKs etc? Never too old for those.

If she is a serious reader, maybe Jane Austen or the likes.

Little women? Abridged versions of all classics are available. I personally prefer those to the hunger games but I have to admit HG, Stephanie Meyer and Lauren Oliver are all fun reads(I've read them all and liked them all. My teen isn't into dystopia).

I recently saw abridged versions of Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes and Agatha Christie's mysteries too. Didn't have those back in the day but I bet for this age the abridged versions are fun reads. It took going to college for me to read those heavy English laden versions. I need seriously kiddie abridged versions even now(now you know why I like those tween authors).

Have fun reading with your daughter. Oh and the bibliophiles at book lovers will have a ton of suggestions for you. Those ladies are online search engines for books and anything book related. They seem to remember every author/title very well(I can't remember what I read last week). Let's try tagging some of the here :)

@PriyaSrini , @lampdeepa , @chillbreeze , @Shanvy -- ladies, please suggest books and authors for a tween.

3. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

Alice in Wonderland.
    Where the Wild Things Are
    Harry Potter series
    Rick Riordan- Percy Jackson and others
    PG Wodehouse- Mike and Psmith, Tales of St Austin, Gold Bat, White Feather and other school stories--- British English may need some getting used to.
    The Book Thief

Comics:
    Asterix
    Peanuts
    Big Nate

vaidehi71, Shanvy and Laks09 like this.
  4. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

No matter what happens, keep twilight away.

dimhere, Rihana, Shanvy and 1 other person like this.
  5. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Laks09 and Magician have pretty much covered most books that I can think of. To add my bit, I suggest books by Indian authors. Ruskin Bond and R. K. Narayanan's books are timeless classics. Swami and friends, Malgudi days, the blue umbrella and Rajaji's Mahabarata for children are some titles that come to mind.

A couple of newer titles that have caught my attention are Mayil will not be quiet, the runaway peppercorn. Here is a link to some more books by Indian authors
    50 Indian books every parent must read to their child

Happy reading with your daughter @FE40

Shanvy, knbg, Pickle and 1 other person like this.
  6. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dairy of a young girl
    Lucy Maud Montgomery's, Louisa May Alcott's , Jean Webber's books
    Dork Dairies
    Roald Dahl
    and my personal favorite is
    I dare by Kiran Bedi
    Wings of fire

Shanvy and Laks09 like this.
  7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

if she is still in the enid blyton series phase i would think caroline keene, agatha christie if its fiction reading for the sake of enjoying.

the recommendations above are all good ones.

For a 12 twelve year old i would read rajaji's version of mahabharatha rather than any other..it is so interesting to read his version.
    RK naryanan's books almost all his books are a pleasure to read. so is ruskin bond.
    all the classic in their original forms that you do get. jane austen, charles dickens books..chronicles of narnia

If your teen is already a bookworm and has already devoured all these, then few more..
    (i was going down memory lane ..sigh time flies..and they were read for the strong message that came across than just fun)
    the book thief by markus zusak
    the diary of a young girl,
    Just listen by sarah dressen,
    number the stars loris loiry
    bridge to terabithia by katherine paterson
    Island of blue dolphins
    the girl with the silver eyes by davis roberts
    Maniac magee by spinell
    the castle in the attic by winthrop

and if she is interested in non fiction, i will happily recommend them the next time..

oh keep her going in the pleasure of reading..it is not just about fun, it is about discussions, learning, character development and more.

you can also understand how your kiddo's mind works by asking her to talk about what she read. there is so much you learn from these than a hundred hours of sitting through questioning hours..

Laks09 likes this.
  8. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hahah you made me laugh loud..can't stand stephanie meyers for that matter i may be a very small % here i do not like harry potter nor dystopian in YA fiction.

coffeecups, Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  9. magician

magician Silver IL'ite

No one did better dystopia than George Orwell and his 1984. But that's not recommended to a twelve year old. 16+ maybe. Hunger Games are just a triangular love story set in Survivor.

Harry Potter is a wonderful series to grow up with. It kept children engaged and brought back reading from the dead. It suffers from a lack of logic in places, but surely, logic is something we can give a miss at times.

10. Cimorene

Cimorene Platinum IL'ite

I cannot size up a 12-year old properly so below books are recommended for young readers (age group 8-13).
    I'm recommending pre-adolescent books as well that she might have already read, but, if she hasn't, no lego minecraft till she burps them.

Comics:

Asterix: Yes, the complete series. Buy the series and make her read every summer starting from this year.
    (She will be delighted at hitherto undiscovered puns as she grows)
    Larry Gonick's Cartoon Guide ... series, what ever you can grab from the library.
    (All books are great fun)
    The Way Things Work by David Macaulay.
    (To love machines more!)

Picture Books:

Roald Dahl and Dr Seuss books
    Winnie-The-Pooh & Through The Looking Glass
    Marice Sendak's Where the Wild Things Are
    Shel Silvertein's books
    Frog and Toad series by Arnold Lobel
    Flotsam by David Weiner (The pictures are delightful)
    Maps by Aleksandra and Daniel Mizielinska (if you can get in library)

Pre-requisite for upcoming serious reads:

The Complete Fairy Tales of Hans Christian Andersen (prefer illustrated)
    Tales from Shakespeare by Charles and Mary Lamb
    James Baldwin's Old Greek Tales

These books must be read before other books because there will be literary references from these books in every other book she would read henceforth. Square them off!

General Reads:

Harry Potter for the language
    Discworld by Terry Pratchett for the humour
    Kenneth Grahame, Edward Lear, Kipling, Carroll for poetry
    Philip Pullman for coming-of-age
    Gulliver's Travels for the satire (make her read from Lilliput to Laputa)
    The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry for everything else

Philosophy:

Sophie's World

** Special Book:

Princess Bride by William Goldman (not the movie! book! the book is also exquisite)

Apart from books, healthy dose of musicals, live-action films, animation, and other art forms, when Google slaps us with Lotte Reiniger, she must cultivate the interest to pull up

If her foundation is strong, the Liesel Meminger in her can find her way through any library on her own for further reading.

vaidehi71 and PriyaSrini like this.