1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Books Helpful In Dealing With Life Situations

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Rihana, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Caide

Caide IL Hall of Fame

hi all i am a lover of Danielle steel books particularly the books "Accident" and "malice" in both these she has written about how a women feel after marriage and how she handles her situation is well portrayed.
    Accident:
    in accident book, after an accident what two families are facing is the entire concept... i love the heroine of this book. She comes to know that her husband is in affair when her daughter was admitted in hospital. you can read about how a women without husband's help takes care of her daughter and how a husband leaves his daughter jus because he is afraid to spend expenses if she come alive and a husband who leaves wife since he is in love with someone else and a wife who leaves husband and kids just because she wanna live her life happily but gladly thanks for happy ending as two diff family come together and live a happy life ever after :)

Malice:
    AS for as malice i recommend people who cry for simple reasons or for sad scenes please please please read it alone as this book can make you cry like hell but its a very lovely book. you can read in this book about how a father abuses his daughter and daughter who kills her father and serves her teenage in jail..In jail what are the things she is going through and after getting released how is again betrayed in the name of love.. and finally when she meet love of her life and living happily with her two children her past are revealed.. but her husband stays with her till the end and supports her and even reveal to everyone that is gem of person such a good story hope you all like it

Though these are foreign author books please don't mind some scenes as they are common in foreign author books but these two are lovely ones

Rihana and vaidehi71 like this.
  2. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

One book that really helped me a lot is 'Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle. Basically the book is about concentraing on 'NOW', like what is the exact problem I am dealing with now. Helps to deal with reliving past issues or worrying about future problems. I try to remember this concept whenever I feel overwhelmed with issues/may-may not happen scenarios. Thanks Rihana for reminding me, guess I need to pick this book again.

Rihana likes this.
  3. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Please find name of this book

4. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

5. jillcastle

jillcastle Gold IL'ite

I guess she is referring to Men are from Mars and Women are from Venus

6. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks @Rihana for starting this thread. As promised, I'm sharing the books that have had the most profound influence on me in the last few years. A common theme that links all these books is that they are about
    • Seeing one's relationships in the most authentic light
    • What real, genuine love looks like (parental/romantic/friends/siblings)
    • Inextricable link between Mind & Body
    • Hope & change in times of despair
    These books go beyond the obvious. Consider this industrial strength self-help psychotherapy. For those wondering if they work in the Indian context - absolutely YES ! For anyone going through a difficult time but don't have access to a good therapist - this list is for you !

Life-savers (My personal all-time favorite)
    • Man's search for Meaning - Dr Victor Frankel (Do check out his recorded interviews on youtube)
    Marriage & Relationships (highly recommended!)
    • All of Harriet Lerner's books (Dance of anger, Dance of intimacy, Dance of Connection, Marriage Rules etc.)
    • All of Vijay Nagaswami's books (24X7 marriage, Marriage and Courtship, Three's a crowd, To D(ivorce) or not to D)
    • Should you Leave ? Peter Kramer
    • Spouse - Shobha De (under-rated, little known gem)
    Self Help (Mental well being, Psychology, Healing)
    • Road Less Travelled - Dr Scott Peck (I recommend other books of his - but this is the most profound)
    • Awakening Intuition - Dr Mona Lisa Schultz
    • Anatomy of the Spirit - Caroline Myss
    • Power of Habit
    • The Female Brain
    • Full Catastrophe Living
    • Dying to be Me - Anita Moorjani (Life lessons & authentic account of near-death experience and cancer)
    Dating (Practical advice)
    • He's just not that into you
    • The Rules (Some may find this controversial. But large parts of it are very relevant in the real world for single women).

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  7. madras2018

madras2018 Platinum IL'ite

I forgot to add a few more excellent books I found very useful. I highly recommend each one of these.
    • Too good to leave, too bad to stay - Mira Kirshenbaum
    • Why Women have Sex - Dr. Cindy Meston/David Buss (Candid, eye opening, factual, scientific, excellent)
    • Love will follow - Why the Indian marriage is burning by Shaifali Sandhya. Well researched.
    • Marry Him : Making the case for Mr Good Enough - Lori Gottlieb. Incidentally it was her article in the Atlantic which she fleshed out into a full book. Must read for singles.
    • Marriage Confidential - Love in the post romantic age by Pamela Haag. Must read for couples married for 10+ yrs who have fallen in a semi-happy rut.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016