1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

BLW moms pls help

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by rose8282, Jan 27, 2015.

1. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

My daughter is 13 months old. I am Feeding dalia,dal and vegetable every evening while morning in the daycare she has some pasta, steamed veg or whatever. The problem is she is refusing to eat anything at home.
    i encouraged self feeding from 4-5 months but only for Cheerios, fruits. She eats those. I didn't know how to encourage self feeding for rice that we usually eat so that I used to feed her. Before she used to eat but slowly she started to fuss.
    It started about a month and half ago and I started putting videos to divert her. Now it haas come to a point that she cries if I turn it off. I know this is all not good. Hence I started giving her pieces to pick up.
    Apple tea cake, buttered noodles, buttered carrot sticks. She just uses windshield viper motion and throws everything down.

When she comes from daycare, my husband feeds her dinner at 6:30. Then after that she takes about 2 bottles (on demand) before she hits the bed. Now I want to change this pattern. I come at 8pm. If my husband feeds her milk at 6:30, and all of us have dinner at 9...will that work? Out of 3 dinners, she did well in 2. Maybe 1 or 2 bites self feed and if we feed her sitting as family she eats. Still this is less than what she eats if she watches videos and eats. But that's getting such a pain in the ***. I never wanted that in the first place.

My my main question is - how many months will it take for her to get past just couple of bites self feeding. She eats so less this way. If dinner is at 9 then a bottle at 6:30 and a bottle after dinner...is that ok? She started drinking more milk after hitting a year.

Ive looked up blw but clearly all resources are for babies at 6 months.

2. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Over a 100 views and no response! I'm sure my question was clear and there must be so many moms whose kids would either be self feeding or graduated from purees to real foods. My little one doesn't even want to bite on egg yolk because it is not mashed!

3. Chitravivek

Chitravivek Platinum IL'ite

@rose8282 relax. My DD started eating textured food when she was 14 months. Self feeding say 17 months but I still feed her on and off the days she wants. Self feeding will gradually happen when they start school and see other kids eat. Texutred is a process for some kids. Mine did give me struggle and when she found there was no option she did take it.

My son will throw up on texture but I am still trying it. I don't complete mash these days I give in grainy ways.

More Milk can do no harm. Be happy she drink whole milk more now. All you need is relax. Every kid is different and they get trained slowly sometimes.

2 people like this.
  4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Rose, what is BLW?

I can share what we did with my DD. when she was 13 months old is when she started daycare. At that time, she was still eating mashed food. But I encouraged her at the daycare to be given whatever the other kids are having. So, the daycare provider used to give small bite sized food to eat. Things like small pieces of carrots, chicken, broccoli, beans, bread, banana, blueberries etc. She mostly played with the food but she understood the concept that the food goes into her mouth and that she will not be hungry anymore after she eats it.
    And she used to top us with my home-sent mashed food. Only at about 17 months is when she started eating fully on her own. even at night time dinner, I used to let her try and eat first. In the begennig, she also watched cartoons. More than half of the food used to land in the high chair but eventually she got the hang of eating by herself. I would give it at least another 6 months from the day they experiment eating on their own. Even now (at 3 + years), I help her finish the food.

Now, the dinner schedule is completely up to the baby. Until about 3 years, I used to give her dinner at 6 PM. By the time she actually finishes it, its usually 6:30- 6:45. During this time, I give her heavy food, usually rice item. At about 7:30 is when I give her a light snack. It maybe cereal with milk or half a fruit or what ever she wants. She goes to bed between 8 and 8:30 PM.

It is recommended to have at least an hours gap between meal time and sleep time so that you give her tummy a chance to digest food.

Since 2 months, i am giving her a snack at 6 PM and dinner at 7:15 PM.

Hope this helps.

2 people like this.
  5. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Thanks ladies. Rakhii BLW is baby led weaning. Basically instead of starting purées at 6 months, we give real food like avocado, banana so they practice chewing before learning to swallow ( what they do when we start with purées). Technically I'm not doing BLW but now that she has 4 upper teeth and 2 lower I want her to pick atleast little bit and start chewing like blueberries or the broccoli cheese bites I make but she doesn't. (She does eat bananas, watermelon at times). She just throws everything. That's why I was asking if anyone followed BLW or any mom share the experience of their kid transitioning to self feeding and how many months it takes.

My daughter is drinking milk after dinner (dinner will be at 6:30) and then again before sleeping she wants a bottle and then sleeps. How do I change this? ( I would prefer her to have 1 bottle or maybe cereal and then sleep). Chitra, I'm worried about milk intake because she is drinking more than recommended amount and filling her stomach instead of eating properly. I have done lot of research and find that after 1 year, their growth slows so they eat less and an 18 month eats as much as a 9 month old. I understand that but wish I could do something to reduce it to 1 bottle instead of 2 before sleep and instead introduce a pre sleep snack.

Thank you for sharing your experiences. Appreciate your help!

6. ramyaramani

ramyaramani Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@rose8282 I wanted to reply earlier but could not do so. My son is 16 months old. I follow baby led weaning (with mix of spoon feeding) with my son. We have never had TV (still don't) on while eating. Babies tend to eat less in BLW. The focus is on independence. there are ups and downs in his portion size.

morning breakfast: mostly BLW. Idli/dosa/pancake/waffle. He asks for chutney or sambar, without which he cannot eat idli or dosa.
    Milk after breakfast in sipper. - this I give him, but follow his cues.
    Snack: Cheerios, fruit - BLW
    Lunch: dal rice with sambar/rasam - Spoon feeding. Vegetables - self feed
    snack: fruit or Cheerios or cookies + milk
    dinner: pasta or roti or rice - self feed

I feed him about 2-3 times during day. Night - twice.

Feed milk at 6.30 but less quantity. She should be hungry by 8.15.

2 people like this.
  7. YoginiVenkat

YoginiVenkat Silver IL'ite

Hi rose,

Kids need time and they take their own time. Try sharing a fruit or whatever she like, with her. Mommy, Daddy, and kid sit together and eat. This might help. Just keep trying as it takes time.. Once she starts having something, automatically the milk intake can be reduced. All the best :)

Hey between, stunned to see your display pic with Stefan Salvatore...Wow!! So guess you are watching Vampire Diaries.. I am a desperate fan..

8. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Ramya, thanks for your meal plan for your son. I read somewhere that you do blw so was looking forward for your reply. My daughter self feeds snacks - Cheerios, fruits, breakfast when I give pancakes and rava or atta dosa she eats that herself (few bites). I have not made idlis yet as I don't have success making it but am trying to make again. For lunch they do blw with pasta or other stuff (again I'm guessing most probably she has a bite of each). I used to give her 2 boxes of 4 oz portions each of dal rice and yogurt. After blw session they most probably feed her what I give. Previously she used to eat but now she just eats yogurt. Sometimes that also not there. Evening she fusses....that's when we do the video to get work done. It's sometimes upsetting. She cries wantedly to throw up.

anyhow I observed this pattern that she no longer picks up as enthusiastically as before. I'm talking abt fruits also. She used to eat watermelon since 2-3 months. Now she doesn't eat that too. Seems like we are going a step back.

yogini...yes..I watch vampire diaries. These days not getting time, still have to watch the latest episode!

9. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Babies start to slow down on food intake as their growth/weight gain slows down after the very fast growth (below one year). It is important to let the child decide how much he/she will eat. So encourage self feeding, do not try to get more food down by distracting with TV or similar. As soon as the child makes sign that she has hade enough then stop. Eat the meals together, let her eat first by herself, help feeding if she accepts it and stop when she start to get fussy.

10. YoginiVenkat

YoginiVenkat Silver IL'ite

rose, I watched the latest episode yest only..