1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bliss

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Apr 3, 2019.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchitananda Madam,
    Sorry for second intervention.Your raw jackfruit curry dragged me to 1950 when I was 8 years old.My father was a famous teacher in those days. He had many students from 'Nagaraththaar community( naattukkottai Chettiyars)We attended a wedding in Chettinadu. The bridegroom's relatives took us by car from .I had a jolly car trip. We had a nice breakfast with kesari, idli etc.There was lunch at 12.30., a grand feast on banana leaf.I could not even reach the other side of the leaf.

All the visitors ,without exception were talking about one item-raw jack fruit curry( unripe jack ) there was great demand for the curry from the visitors.They requested the chef to prepare the same item for the dinner too.
    The chief cook was known to my father, being his student.
    While coming out the chief cook prostrated before my father seeking his blessings. My father blessed him, lauded him for all the preparations, especially, the jackfruit curry.My father asked the chef" This is not jack season. How were you able to procure raw jack to make curry for 1000 people?
    The chef took my father alone and whispered something in his ears.My father felt laughing aloud but controlled himself.On coming back home , my father narrated to my mother what the chef told. 'jack curry' was the preferred menu.Not even small pieces of jack were available in the market.'Somehow you have to prepare"was the command from the rich wedding party. In his cooking experience he knew things of similar taste.The nearest taste was that of 'kadalai punnaakku'( oil cake out of ground nuts, the waste after extracting ground nut oil,) which was soaked in water and given to cows as the main food that will enrich lactation.
    Now the wise cook procured ground nut oil cake heaped outside oil mill, powdered it nicely, soaked in water for specified period,cooked in high flame, added necessary ingredients as cooked dhal, dhaniya, chilies etc, seasoned generously with mustard, added dessicated coconut and served.It was relished by one and all. As promised my father didn't reveal to anyone.

My mother tried to make curry out of 'Ground nut oil cake( kadalai punnaakku) available in plenty at home as we had seven cows.It was horrible and nobody touched.Amma left the idea.
    For those with skills, even a piece of grass would become a powerful instrument.

Satchitananda madam,next time ,you may think of oil cake when you take raw jack fruit curry and I doubt whether you will feel the same bliss.To attain the bliss, you have to place yourself in the place of a desi cow!
    jayasala 42

satchitananda and Thyagarajan like this.
  2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:OMG that is super curry with super idea out of punnakku. I enjoyed reading this wonderful inform for dissemination among ......
    Thanks and Regards.
    God too loves unadulterated devotion to curry favour.!!

satchitananda likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear JS ma'am,

I would much rather give the cow jackfruit curry rather than eat groundnut oil cake. Am sure the cow would enjoy the inside of the fruit as much as it does the spiked rind! :) Two creatures of God happy - I and desi cow.

4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

For worldly issues like taxation even God has no answers, may be because there is no such system of collecting revenues up there. Here there are many distractions to disturb in meditation.

Thyagarajan likes this.
  5. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Agreed.
    But God Himself depicted in some temples meditating and if that is the case then the question arises what he would do with such bliss?!
    Thanks & regards.
    God meditate with two eyes at same level but invisible third eye is watching over us/ (u.s.) humanity.

6. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

What a blissful state @satchitananda . Very humorous. Enjoyed it much.
    Foodie that I am, there is no dearth of "blissful" moments .
    Last week it was a cup of avial on Monday, rasam on Tuesday, tomato rice on Wednesday, banana stem pachadi on Thursday...
    But these moments are always broken by a telephone call, or the microvawe saying food's done, or the dryer saying its time to fold the clothes.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2019
    satchitananda and shyamala1234 like this.
  7. satchitananda

So I am in elite company. I learned a new word for this on Friday - a "Suppencoma" (soup induced coma).

kkrish likes this.
  8. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@satchitananda
    My dear Satchi
    Bliss! I was just thinking about what you had described as bliss. Bliss is truly age-related. When I was a child (I once was, believe me!), when I sat near the window of the rain and watched the moving landscape, it was bliss, notwithstanding the coal dust falling into my eyes. In the school, when my furious class teacher asked the whole class to stand up on the bench as punishment, it was pure bliss when he exempted me alone from the punishment. When a very close schoolmate of mine had a misunderstanding with me and stopped talking to me, my mum intervened and smoothed out our relationship, it was pure bliss. While in the Bank, whenever the books balanced at the first stroke (it was all manually done those days), it used to be pure bliss.
    As I advance in age, the reason for bliss keeps changing. It is getting more and more abstract. So abstract, I cannot even tell you what causes bliss to me these days!
    Sri

shyamala1234 and satchitananda like this.
  9. satchitananda

Dear CS, all very relatable sources of bliss. I share with you the bliss induced by train travel. It still gives me immense joy, only issue being that I have not travelled by train in ages, much as I would love to. Sitting and listening to cuckoos sing and the sound of rain lashing the streets (when I was young, the pitter-patter sound of rain on the aluminium chajja outside the kitchen window), the smell of the earth soaked by the first rain, a cup of Amma made coffee and bhajjis in front of me, my baby niece cooing on the table ..... those were moments of bliss and still continue to be.

Through all seasons and ages, one source of bliss, however, has been food. Just on Friday I heard a new word for this state of bliss "suppencoma" - a coma induced by soup!

Cheeniya likes this.