1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Blender For Everyday Use

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Laks09, Jan 19, 2017.

1. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

What do you folks recommend for a reliable blender? I got a butterfly desire mixie on amazon a while ago and it's almost on its way out. I didn't like the plastic jars. The handles broke within a month of use. Now, I have only the chutney jar and the big jar in working condition and it seems to take forever to blend.
    I used to have a mixie from India, a Panasonic with steel jars that my Dad converted to 110 volts for me. I really liked that one and used it for a long time but I can't find a 110v one online.

I was looking at the vitamix(No small jars) and the ninja. Do the little jars in the ninja blender work like the medium jars in Indian mixies?

I have an ultra grinder for wet grinding and am looking at this for day to day curry gravy blending. I use a lot of coconut based gravies and grind a lot of masala pastes etc.

2. justanothergirl

justanothergirl IL Hall of Fame

Vitamix. The best I have seen so far. Yes its a bit pricey but its worth it.

Laks09 likes this.
  3. Laks09

The jar looks kinda big. Will it grind small quantities for gravies etc like the medium jars in Indian blenders. How about small quantity of jeera etc? I don't like to keep a lot of powdered spices because they lose their freshness.

4. GoneGirl

GoneGirl Gold IL'ite

Preethi mixer works well for me, for masalas and chutneys, have had it for almost 8 years now.. available on amazon.

5. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

I have a Preethi mixie with metal jars that I bought on Amazon a few years ago. It works well for Indian dry and wet grinding. I also have a Vitamix that does everything else. Costco usually has good sales on the Vitamix and I just saw one there with the shorter jar, which makes it easier to store on the counter. I only have the regular jar but you can get a special jar fro dry grinding too.

Rihana and Laks09 like this.
  6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

It won't handle very small quantities well.

Laks09 likes this.
  7. justanothergirl

Hmm I use it for coconut chutney and the coconut masala for all kootu ,mor kozhambu ,avial etc....Yes it does need a little bit more water..but thats fine with me. If u want very thick chutney /thogayals etc then it might not work.
    For very small amounts of dry grinding spices I use the coffee grinder.

Laks09 likes this.
  8. justanothergirl

9. Laks09

I have this one but the wet grinding jar is just enough for a tiny amount of chutney. The powder also isn't as fine as the mixie so I continued using the mixie. I think I should use this for the small quantity of powders.

Amazon.com: Secura Electric Coffee Grinder & Spice Grinder with 2 Stainless-Steel Blades Removable Bowl: Power Blade Coffee Grinders: Kitchen & Dining

justanothergirl likes this.
  10. Laks09

Aviyal has to be thick in my house. Otherwise nobody will eat it. All spoilt brats.