1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bittersweet moments -1

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by kkrish, Mar 10, 2011.

1. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Note: This has no connection to the article below:
    It is an historical day! Space Shuttle Discovery made her last landing this morning! She was glorious, graceful, and so beautiful, as she approached earth after her final mission! My heart was lumpy with a deep-etched sadness as this marked the beginning of the end of the Space Shuttle program.
    (SRama)Sabitha, yes, Discovery is sure coming near your town to replace Enterprise.

I apologize for the long post . it is in two parts..
    Since yesterday I was recalling those moments….
    This happened a few years ago when we were in my elder son’s college town for a visit. One evening my husband had a dinner meeting so we three, my elder son (K1), younger son (K2), and I, decided to go out to dinner.

K1 was very happy and wanted to take us to his favorite place. So we went by train to the “Square”! There were youth all around us with two Universities close by.

First we went to his favorite Italian hang out. K1 went in to find out how crowded the place was but came back soon saying that it was very loud inside.

We walked for some distance then turned into an alley to his another favorite hang-out. The smell wafting towards us was indeed wonderful and I was looking forward to enjoying a good meal. K1 went in and came back – same reason-too loud.

We were slowly walking back to the main road when I spotted an Indian restaurant. But no according to K1, the food there was very ordinary, not like my cooking, so was totally unacceptable.

Reaching the main road I saw a Chinese restaurant and suggested we go there. But seeing the 101 contortions K1’s face went through no more was said.

By now we had spent close to three quarters of an hour walking here and there; I was getting hungry and my feet were beginning their protest.

“Mom, there is a very nice Mexican place on the other side, let’s go there!” So the three of us trudged all the way towards the station and beyond. We turned into another alley and reached the Mexican place where young men and women were spilling out on to the street. K1 had walked ahead to reserve tables but I saw him coming back with speed.

“Mom let’s not go there! They are all drinking and dancing.“ I said, “That’s OK; we are just going for food”. But he shook his head with an emphatic “NO”!
    I was so tired and hungry and looked into his face to express my unhappiness.

I was stunned into silence at what I saw in my child’s face! I saw realization that all these places that he found enjoyable with friends were not of the class to take his mother; I saw pain, frustration and disappointment that he didn’t know of a fine dining establishment where he could have taken his mom with confidence!

In addition to all these I saw responsibility and something else in his eyes that told me at that moment my little son had grown up!

Forever!
    For me it was a bittersweet moment.

continued..

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011

2. Chitvish

Chitvish Moderator IL Hall of Fame

Kamala,I fully go with you!
    For you, this happens with child, for me, it happens with grand children as well!

Last week, my GD came for lunch. I had boiled gram dhal for some dish & not wanting to waste the drained water, I added it to rasam. As soon as she tasted asam, she proclaimed "you have done some 'thrisaman' to rasam". i put on an innocent look & said 'no, not at all!'.

Well, ultimately she found out& I proudly mentioned to my daughter that the little girl who used to shudder at the thought of ever entering the kitchen, has grown up & become a good cook!! No more,can I get away from her, with my 'small adjustments'!!
    A bitter-sweet moment, indeed!

3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Kamala,I fully go with you!

Thank you Chivish ma'am! I am really honored by your feedback!

For you, this happens with child, for me, it happens with grand children as well!

Very nice and sweet incident to have your grand daughter question you that too in cooking!
    I am sure you will agree that "bittersweet" is a very mild term to explain the pain that accompanies such defining moments! Thanks much for sharing!

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dea r Kamala,

good one.kids grow up , and their taste may not match the taste of the parents eh !

When my daughters were small they would go with us whereever we wanted to take them.

now they take us to whereever they want, i generally dont go, for they like veg places, and where there are no drinks.:biglaughSo i stay put at home.

Yes yr sons have grown up, and want a decent place for u and hubby to eat eh !

Regards

kamal

5. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

great posting. Yes, kids are growing fast. My sons are like yours but one small difference. they will take me anywhere, but not their dad. Most of the time, they treat me like one of them, than their mom. when it comes to dad, it is entirely different.

It is a pleasure to see them the way they take care of us.

Enjoy!!!!!:cheers:cheers:cheers:cheers

6. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

So true Kamala. One thing caught my eye..is that of the comment you got when you saw an Indian restaurant..'always Mom's is the best..nothing can beat it in taste".
    I had also experienced this moment, when my daughter and my dh looked after my mil..in my absence for nearly 7-10 days)..and over phone, on a casual conversation told me..."Amma, I now realise what you are experiencing at home".

sriniketan

7. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

good one.

Thank you Kamalji!
    ..... i generally dont go, for they like veg places, and where there are no drinks.:biglaughSo i stay put at home.
    :biglaugh! Kamalji this is too much!

Yes yr sons have grown up, and want a decent place for u and hubby to eat eh !
    No my elder wanted to take only me to a good place where there were no drinking, dancing or loud music - in short where there no youth :hide:! My hubby had another meeting so was not with us; things might have been different if he had accompanied us :)

8. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Coffee Akka!
    Yeah they grow so fast it is painful to let go!
    With my kids they are both happy to have all of us go out together! And when I am alone with them yes it feels funny our roles change from caring for them to being cared by them!

9. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Thanks Bhargavi.
    When it comes to eating out in an Indian restaurant the comparison is inevitable.

That was so sweet of your daughter to tell that to you! I am sure she had started observing you more keenly from then on with renewed respect!

10. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi kamala,

That was such a sweet moment, I am sure. :)
    I guess they only have different ways of expressing it isn’t it? Because my daughter actually takes me to places she has been with her friends "you must check that out mamma and don’t worry I have checked out their veggie fare ,you will surely find something " she says.
    ohh kamala why do they grow up soooo fast?:-(