1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Birth certificate for green card purpose

Discussion in 'Immigration Matters' started by shubhasiddharth, Jan 28, 2012.

1. shubhasiddharth

shubhasiddharth Bronze IL'ite

My husband and I do have our original birth certificates, however they are incomplete with misspellings of our names and such. Its mandatory that you need to show the birth certificate ( complete) as one of your proof for green card process once your priority date becomes current.Has anyone got a birth certificate especially for this purpose? If yes, what is the procedure to obtain it where to apply for the same and the approximate duration for the entire process? Thanks in advance.

2. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

Pls refer to trackitt forums ..google the forums name....they have lots of threads on this particular topic.

3. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

hi..we too had he same problem, we had the certificates but the names were not according to requirements.

we got an affidavit from India, stating that X was born here, on this date, and I know it because ------- and was present at the time of the birth etc and signed by parents - specifically by mother, and notarised.

I don't remember the details now, but I am sure your lawyers will tell you exactly what needs to be written and who needs to sign it.

hope this helps.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  4. shubhasiddharth

Hi Soulful
    Can you please elaborate? I know you are not able to remember, but please??To tell you the minute details, My name is misspelt in the birth certificate, while my husband's name does not even figure in the birth certificate..I am told the birth certificate given by the Indian embassy here in the USA is not acceptable for green card purposes.

5. srims

srims Bronze IL'ite

My reply might be late.
    You can get two or three affidavits from your blood relatives in India,who are elder than you and that should be notarized.This is very simple.For GC process the affidavit format can be down loaded from the USCIS website.For us this was worked out.I got affidavits from my Mom and sister who is 4 years older than me.For my Hubby,his dad and mom did. All the Best!!!!!!!

6. shubhasiddharth

Never too late Srims.Thank you for letting me know what worked for you.I have asked my parents back in India to enquire the procedure of getting a new birth certificate.Hopefully that will work out, else I will have to get the affidavit.My husband and I thought it will be better to have the birth certificate if not for the Green card purposes, atleast as an identity proof.

7. chinnirekha

chinnirekha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Subha,
    I too faced very very big problem with my Birth certificate .Mine wasn't registered within one year after my birth . When we submitted to USCIS we were not knowing that USCIS is very very particular about the date of regisrtation . Then I got a very big query stating me to prove my birth and parentage and its very frustating and it took more than 2 months to solve that query. So be very very sure about the date of registration of your birth.

8. smitharaj

smitharaj New IL'ite

Hi Rekha,

I am in the exact same situation like you. My birth certificate is registered in 2013 (26 years after my actual birth).
    My last name is not spelt out completely. Only my initials are mentioned.

What documents do I need to provide along with my i485 package. PLEASE let me know. It will be of a great help.

Thanks,
    Smitha

9. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

My birth certificate was issued in Hindi. Even in that my name is not written. We had the birth certificate translated into English, typed on Stamp Paper, and notarized. As all the posters above have said, you need to have 2 witnesses to your birth to sign.

My father was out of country when we needed this done, so my mother and her younger brother signed the papers.

For my father in law the affidavit was done. For MIL, we could not get that since her father had smartly registered her birth (65 years ago in a village!!!) The problem with this is that since a birth certificate is available they refused to do an affidavit.

Check with the place you were born in. Initials is ok. My husband only has initials in his birth certificate AND his spelling is different.

Not sure how strict it is now, but it did not pose a problem for us 14 years ago.