1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bird watching of the Feathered and Unfeathered Varieties

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 2, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kerman,

Till recently all I saw or heard were crows and pigeons. This is a refreshing change, though I wish they would make themselves seen too.

The blue bird which I have posted a pic of was one from the net - just one to console myself as the blue bird on the sill just flew off too quickly. :bonk :hide: But yes, it is very cute.

2. satchitananda

Hi Pranati,

Your cousin was lucky to have lost some weight. I would have blessed the jets if they had helped me do at least that. But no such luck :rant :rotfl

The bird I have mentioned is very small, almost a peacock colour and a sharp long beak. I have not heard it sing. Problem is most of the birds I do not see, I only hear the calls. The one whose calls I have mentioned is not a whistle. I am unable to describe it. The other day I again looked out of the window and saw a very small bird dart across the road from one tree to the other. It was green like a parrot but too small to be a parrot (to my knowledge). Don't know if it was this bird that made the sound. It certainly did not sound like a parrot.

3. Anisu

Anisu Platinum IL'ite

Satchi,

After seeing the heading of the topic about "feathered and unfeathered ones" i thought you are going to make a comparison between girls and the birds ....But after reading it only i came to know that you are talking about the metallic birds and the actual birds ..:hide:

1 person likes this.
  4. vchelluri

vchelluri Gold IL'ite

Dear Satchi,
    Hope you have a good start of this new year with the birds cooing around your house. Maybe all of them are wishing you a happy new year in their natural language.:thumbsup
    I used to watch the white cockatoos and lovely colourful parrots in the park infront of our old house but now I miss them to see here but enjoy listening to different types of interesting bird sounds though could not see them.

Though the sight of planes landing and taking off is nice to enjoy, bearing their sounds, that too from such a near distance, all the time will be very irritating.:bonk
    I too faced the same problem with the sounds of aeroplanes when in India, though not from such a near distance as you and now I am facing it here staying nearby to airport. But one great gift for me is once I sleep nothing can disturb my sleep in general. My dh envies me a lot in this case. He is very sensitive to slightest sounds and lights when asleep and gets disturbed and vents out all his rant on me for having so sound sleep.:rant
    Happy new year and wish you have more and more acquaintes with more and more colourful birds and their songs.

Regards,
    Latha.

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

Hi Anisu,

So you too fell for the title. :rotfl Well, somehow "metallic" birds sounds strange. "Unfeathered" on the other hand suits everything on earth that is not feathered and is hence all inclusive, ain't it?????

6. satchitananda

Hi Latha,

1 person likes this.
  7. satchitananda

Hi folks,

Finally spotted the bird and with the help of other ILites here managed to identify the bird. Here is a picture I took (though not a very good one) from my window.

This is the link to a video showing the bird and recording its call which I had heard earlier and mentioned in my very first post.