1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bird watching of the Feathered and Unfeathered Varieties

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by satchitananda, Jan 2, 2012.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

[​IMG]

There was a time when the airport was very close to our house. In fact the house lay in the flight path as the massive jets came in to land. Lying on my bed and looking out of the window at a flight coming in to land, it was not seldom that I had a feeling that it was going to come in through the window. Or I could imagine I could see the pilot and wave out to him. Many an evening would be spent relaxing in the balcony, looking at the lights of landing planes and counting how many landed that evening within 5 minutes or 10 minutes.

Nights when I was fast asleep, from the depths of my unconsciousness I would hear some strange, loud sound and wake up wondering what it was, only to realize it was a jet coming in to land. :shock: (On occasions when an international visitor was due at home, I would know when exactly to expect them, going by the sound of the flight at the given time). The windows would shake and rattle, car alarms would go, the stray dogs would set up a symphony to beat all symphonies and we would be gritting our teeth and shaking our fists at these metal birds which would deprive us of our sleep night after night. :rant

Soon the new international airport came up 50 kms outside the city. One major advantage - distance and quick access of the airport - was lost amidst a lot of protests. On one hand we were worried about the distance, on the other hand we celebrated our new found peace. How true - some you win, some you lose. Anyway, the new airport although expensive to reach, is not all that inconvenient after all.

This evening I suddenly noticed the strange calls of a bird. It was a very different call from any I had heard. I ran to the window to check out. Could not see anything. Probably it was very well hidden in the tree outside. Then I ran to the balcony. No sight of the bird. There were two of them in two trees close by and it was very clearly a case of a call and an answering call. The sound was so musical to the ears. So I tried the next possible solution. I tried to Google bird sounds to find out which bird it could be. After going through 10-15 of them, I gave up - there were so many of them and I had only just reached "B" in the list.

In fact some days ago there was this very exotic looking, tiny blue bird with a sharp beak which perched itself on the grill of the window, took a look round inside the room, then decided that the wide open world outside was more beautiful and flew off. I really felt blessed that day at this unexpected visitor.

I was mentioning to a friend about this bird, when she said there were only aeroplanes flying over her house, so she never got to hear birds. That is when it suddenly struck me that I had started noticing bird calls only in recent times. Has it anything to do with the airport being moved to the out-skirts of the city? :coffee Well, if it has, I am really happy. The melodies of these birds are any day more beautiful than the roar of the metal ones and they look so pretty and attractive too. :-D Am waiting for the day when I see this melodious bird.

9 people like this.

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Satchi,

hope you had a good start to the New Year! To be honest, when I read the title I was thinking of bird watching and "Bird watching" - as in watching girls! I didnot for the life of me think of aeroplanes. In Basavnagudi, I remember hearing tha planes go by not long ago and not as close you did but now when I visit B'lore I often wonder if I can hear those planes anyways what with all the already present ground noise! Our family oftne goes to the "viewing area" of our airport to watch the planes land and the expereince of watching these planes at the DC ariport is the best yet!

Yes, that is so very different from having the planes come cso cose whether one likes it or not! So I understand your joy at having to deal lesser with that noise and as a consequence can actually hear these beautiful birds sing. Once you identify the bird, probably you can as a next step learn to coo like that bird so that you can actually attract it to your balcony!

Enjoy!!

3 people like this.
  3. kkrish

kkrish IL Hall of Fame

Sats
    That is a very lovely looking bird..remind me of a baby..wanting to cuddle it in the palm of my hand! Thanks for sharing it!
    You are right; the birds may be returning to their orignial homes, or it being winter in the northern hemisphere could be that it is this season that brings them to your place. No matter what, enjoy the sights and sounds! They are so soothing!

Coming to the featherless variety, the first airport you mention was originally away from the city. I remmber travelling well out of the city limits to reach there. It is the city's growth that had brought the airport amidst homes and not vice versa:)

I am so glad you did not wave to the pilots when they are landing the flights :)... never know what a little distraction from an attractive young lady would cause!

All said I still love to watch landings and takeoffs! There is something mesmerizing about them airplanes! I especially love takeoffs...that tremendous energy that is exerted to defy gravity is simply marvelous and amazing!

2 people like this.
  4. knbg

knbg Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Satchi dear.......:)..In full form eh?.....what an enticing title....:drowning....I too was of the same idea as Sabitha and thinking of your yesterday's post on boys, thought of something juicy.......:bonk
    But, your article turned out to be a pleasant surprise indeed....:thumbsup.of course more delicious than tales of "ogling ornithologists"....:crazy
    Lucky you......you know something....I spotted a Robin, Red-breast Robin on my way back from library a few days ago........these little feathered friends do lift our mood instantly by their cheerful disposition.......colorful plumage.... and intriguing chirps......

Wish you would see more and share them with us too........both as lovely pics and refreshing snippets.....in the coming days......:thumbsup

2 people like this.
  5. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Satchi,

Well , i heard a pilot fell in love with a girl amnd married her, the girl used to wave to the pilot from her hopuse, and his plane came down to land. How come no pilot waved back to u eh !

Yes agreed the birds must be more sweeter in sound than the plane.HAHA. And more silence too, but i read in japan kids born in houses near airports could not sleep when their parents shifted away, for they were used to the sound of the planes.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.
  6. satchitananda

Hi Sabitha,

7. sushmavja

sushmavja Platinum IL'ite

satchi,
    nice snippet..birds are a rare phenomenon now..it has been years that i have seen a sparrow literally and people say this is because of the cell-phone transmissions all over..when i was small(my KG times) there used to be a pomegranate tree beside our bedroom..early morning by 5.30,different types of birds used to come and start chirping there...my dad says i used to get up because of the sound and enjoy seeing these birds..and i sat there so much time on the bed watching the birds tht i would be often late to school..your post brought back my childhood memories..

1 person likes this.
  8. satchitananda

Hi Kamala,

9. satchitananda

Hi Bhargavi,

10. satchitananda

Hi Kamalji,