Biggest Risk To Your Physical Safety You Ever Took?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Rihana, Dec 13, 2019.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

imp.png

When, if ever, did you take a big risk to your physical safety and well-being? What made you do that?
    Was it an impulsive decision or a deliberate choice?
    What was the outcome?

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. Rihana

I was answering this question elsewhere and thought it'd be interesting to read responses to it here.

The times that I recall having taken such risks have an eerie similarity - getting into cars. One was long ago when I was new to the U.S. My rickety second-hand car broke down on the expressway on a Saturday and there were no emergency phones nearby. One guy slowed down and I eagerly walked towards his car. Long story short, I got into the car as he said he could drop me at gas station a mile away. I knew it was a stupidity on my part the minute his car started moving. Luckily, I saw an office building on the right and told him he could stop as my friend worked there. He stopped and I stumbled out. As I started walking away, he slowly drove away. But in a few minutes he circled around and came back, pulled up alongside my path, rolled down the window, leaned over and asked if I was sure I didn't need more help. The look in his eyes made my blood run cold. A woman can tell. Even one as stupid as I was to do what I did.

Decades later, in a new century, I did it again! Late at night in India, after a wedding, I returned alone to my hotel in a car that I had rented for the day from the hotel reception. It was not one of the registered ones like Uber or Ola. I convinced myself that I was past my womanly prime : ) and that the gold I was wearing was obviously the 1gm variety. :smash2:I was not even familiar with the borrowed cell phone I was using, let alone know how to call any police number with it.

And when I was much younger, I once got off from a bus that was moving quite fast. Barely missed getting run over by the vehicle behind it.

3. meepre

meepre Gold IL'ite

You did the right thing getting out as soon as you felt uncomfortable..

Rihana likes this.
  4. ragzz

ragzz Silver IL'ite

While working in the labs, many times walked from college (US) building to apartment late at night - sometimes with a friend, but still what can two meek ones do if bad guys pull up? Area was generally ok, but still crime can happen anywhere if you think of it even in 'safer' campuses....probably 15-20 minute walk thro campus and then some local road to get to apartment. Reading about Ruth George like stories last month, glad we were safe back then.

Vaikuntha, Rihana and SinghManisha like this.
  5. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

Gives the chills even now doesnt it?

I am a little stupid,so there have been a few occasions.

Traveled by unreserved compartment from Kolkata to Chennai during Christmas period, a compartment filled with only men except me.

Blackmailed a close friend into allowing me to ride his hero honda near mid night on my birthday, and panicking and driving off into bushes and landing with bad scratches

Clap back on eve teasers , who were fortunately cowards, cos if they turned around and attacked me, I couldnt have defended myself.

rachaputi, Vaikuntha and Rihana like this.
  6. SinghManisha

SinghManisha Platinum IL'ite

Brings back memories !
    Walking from the university at 3.00 a.m in the morning ( a car following me once).
    Taking a ride offered by a senior student during the new student orientation. Pretty harmless I would think, until he starts telling me how he has never talked to a girl like this before and insists on knowing where I live/number . I had to pretend I forgot my new home address and then argue for a good 5 mins for him to let me get out of the car.

When we are young, we think we are invincible. Age and experience, both tell us otherwise .

Vaikuntha, Sunshine04 and Rihana like this.
  7. Rihana

Yes, I was reading the news about Ruth George. Sad. I initially didn't realize she was of Indian origin. Not that that should make any difference.
    19-year old Indian-American student sexually assaulted, strangulated to death in Chicago

8. Rihana

Oh this reminds me of a 30+ hour train journey by AC 2 tier between Delhi and Hyderabad, Dakshin Express. Started around 11 pm Monday and reached around 6 AM Wednesday. : ) Once, I was the only one in that entire coach for many hours at a stretch, unless someone got in for a segment of the journey. Couple of times the TC on duty came by and suggested I move. Heroine style I said no.

So true. And then we grow older and the kids grow into young people, and we can only hope and pray and pretend they don't/will not take the risks we did. : ) And keep refreshing Google Maps location sharing.

9. Caughtinbetween

Caughtinbetween Gold IL'ite

when i was in 12th class , during weekends our competitive exam coaching classes would begin at 6am and we are required to be inside the class by 5.45am . Those days there was no public transport available that early in the morning from our place. first weekend i was late by 15 -20 mins and Sir refused to let me in in front of the big class . So next weekend when i didnt find any means of commute at the bus stop /no auto i just asked lift from a random stranger on a scooter at 5am in a completely deserted locality. But he was a good man , didnt make me feel uncomfortable .

Rihana likes this.
  10. Rihana

Good Lord.. this thread is bringing back so many memories of so many incidents that I had forgotten. After alighting from the Dakshin express mentioned above, I once couldn't find a convenient bus to take to home 25 kms away. I actually took an autorickshaw that ambled bravely along the highway, often almost pulling over to give way to lorries and inter-state buses. It was hot, and once the autorickshaw driver loosened a few buttons of his uniform shirt to allow ventilation. Nice guy, he only kept mildly complaining about how he didn't know it was so far, and that I should give him full-return fare instead of half-return.

Good to read this. While we do come across the bad variety, most of us would have taken help from the good ones also.

Twice my two-wheeler broke down, and I was helped by men who looked like roadside romeos. Of course, it was broad daylight and busy road. But still, I remember their help in taking my broken down two-wheeler to the repair shop in a side street, and just going on their way, not even expecting any money in return.