1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bigamy

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Sep 7, 2017.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

A few days back we received a marriage invitation.The brides' grandfather had sent the invitation.He was my husband's friend, belonging to an agriculturalist family.It was observed with amazement that there were two brides and a single bridegroom, the brides being granddaughters of my husband's friend.The girls' parents seemed to have no objection in giving both their daughters to the same bridegroom.The brides ( sisters) also gave their consent or not, it was not known.
    As there was a hue and cry from the villagers, the younger sister gave a formal complaint to the police.The marriage was conducted for the elder sister only on the appointed day.Of course the other marriage also was performed two days later in another temple as planned earlier.

Will there be harmony in such marriages?Is it not like a cine story? Lord Vishnu and Muruga are famous for bigamy.Shiva also is stated to have some relationship with river Ganga in addition to Parvathi.Bhakthas follow suit.

In many banks they allow Leave fare concession to the first wife and the children of second wife, but not to the second spouse.
    I remember a court judgement long ago in the case of A.L.Srinivasan and Varalakshmi.( 2nd wife) Court denied any right to Varalakshmi in the properties of deceased Srinivasan but said that her children might lay claim right on these properties.

A quick go-through of earlier history reveals that the bigamy issue is evergreen in our society. For that matter polyandry is not so. That was present and was considered natural
    in the early period of civilization. Sociologists and psychologists are of the opinion that both polygamy and polyandry are very much natural of human psyche and not the so called one man - one woman relationship which is of latter emergence.

In Tamilnadu, Mr.Karunanidhi,( Ex CM ) Kannadasan, Gemini Ganesan,Kamalahasan are some of the famous bigamists we adore, of course for different reasons.
    Karunanidhi very cleverly described his bigamous relationship by declaring that one of the women is Manaivi( wife) and the other Thunaivi( companion) Kannadasan was in an ugly situation when he tried for a third marriage. Both his elder wives jointly threatened him of their proposal to file a criminal complaint. He nonchalantly replied- "Ok .Proceed. I go to prison and remaining there write and earn. Without me at home, how could you manage the household." Luckily, wise counsel prevailed and the unpleasant situation was averted.

Now we shun bigamy. That was prevalent throughout the world much before the advent of civilization and the anti bigamy act was passed only in 1954, that too to be clandestinely to be violated by clever manipulators of law, thereby causing untold misery and an equal amount of jealousy among those deprived of that luxury.
    The following comments are based on legal provision as it stands today, avoiding all legal jargons or terminologies, to make it legally understandable.

The Hindu Marriages Act strictly prohibits any bigamous marriage when the other legally wedded spouse is living. The second marriage during the subsistence of the first marriage is definitely considered illegal and the peculiar feature of this provision is that it does not distinguish between husband and wife who is committing the offence. That means even if the wife indulges in bigamy when her legally wedded husband is alive, her act will also attract the punishment prescribed under the relevant provisions of Indian Penal Code.( IPC).

Legal separation alone entitles one to marry someone else. In some cases, the law provides for an exemption when one of the spouses is reported to be missing and not traceable for a period of seven years in which case it may not be possible for obtaining legal separation by the other spouse.

Further, some loopholes to circumvent the offence is also available in bigamy. The Act insists on the performance of marriage following all rituals and customs prescribed such as Sapthapathi, etc. Mostly in second marriages, all these rituals are given a go by and therefore difficult to prove in a court of law.

Only the aggrieved can invoke the provisions of the law and the past cases reveal that in such bigamous marriages, the second wife’s rights are mostly dependent on judges’ discretion. Proving the offence of bigamy is something that discourages the aggrieved from going to courts. As it is not a cognizable offence, the police will not take suo motu action of such offences.

In this context, an interesting compromise formula reached between two warring wives at the intervention of police some time back is of great interest.

The concluding line that “ the man will stay for three days with one woman and next three days with the second woman and the 7th day he would stay alone. This staying alone on the 7th day” would have prompted him to immediately accept the compromise formula that he can find peace at least for a day.

Polygamy occurs when someone engages in marriages to more than one partner; in most polygamous marriages, there is still an expectation of fidelity within the marriage.

A non-monogamous relationship is simply one in which there is no one-to-one commitment; the specifics of the relationship are up to the definition of the parties involved. Non-monogamous relationships may or may not involve expectations of fidelity among the partners involved.

Though Western culture is criticized by Indians on so many accounts, especially by Hindus, it cannot be denied that Christianity is the central driving force in the shaping of western civilization in Europe and due to Church's belief in monogamy, polygamy and polyandry were shunned.

If you roll back 500 years from now, there were very poor medical facilities available, especially in India. So the mortality of infants were very high, many used to die before their adolescence, but wait !The mortality rate was not evenly distributed between the male and female babies, it’s statistical fact that baby girls were more resistant to diseases when compared to their male counterparts and had lesser mortality rate.

Second point, back then the frequency of wars and battles were too high, and we all know in wars mostly men participated, and in every such fight thousands of men died.

Third point, this is considerably less important, but one cannot neglect it’s effect, MEN going after religion, were too high in number, especially at 500 AD, where Buddhism was at its peak in terms of following in India, and men went on becoming celibates.

Now all the three caused a huge inversion in the ratio of men and women, where there were less marriable men, and many marriable women, now the choice was staying single all life, which was very difficult back then considering the social economical bodily sentimental needs, or by a little adjustment and understanding one could share a husband, which was very practical and ok and it was needed too. This necessity was later taken advantage of, distorted and exploited, and finally the Indian constitution put an end to it

But now, infant mortality is at its lowest, no wars and peace, atleast in India, where every one is engaged in word war and intellectual war and political war which is far better than killing thousands, and religious celibacy is low .Due to the horrible and inhuman act of female baby abortion, the ratio of men and women is now reciprocated, leaving behind more men and less women so by logic we can know what should we practice, polygyny? or polyandry?
    In the present condition of the gender ratio,will there be a situation of polyandry? It is very funny, delicate and sad situation for men as well as women! How to solve this social problem?
    Easily said that some men may take up celibacy.Perhaps Yoga Guru Jaggi Vasudev will be in a position to suggest some solutions !

Now for the obvious reasons polyandry seems some what too radical and impractical, and would cause much unease.We know how the brave woman Draupathi managed to live with five husbands, a situation forced on her.

wouldn’t it be just fine….if its one man for one woman.

Jayasala 42

kaniths, bmaquarius, SCSusila and 4 others like this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jayasala
    When I was inspecting branches of SBI in the Himalayan districts, I had come across several cases of polyandry. The local Manager told me that it was the effect of worship of Pandavas. When I was inspecting Agricultural branches of the Bank, I came across numerous cases of polyandry. When I went to Manali in the Himalayas, I found the large foot mark being worshipped as that of Bheema.
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Christianity or no christianity open marriages are becoming popular in the west with both husbabd a nd wife having affairs with full knowledge of their partners, Let us hope we don't imitate that.

4. jayasala42

Dear Cheeniya Sir,
    Though much is talked about the chastity of women, polyandry seems to have had its sway in may parts of India.I have heard and known personally known many such cases in Kerala.
    Jayasala 42

5. jayasala42

It is str
    US Laws are strange. Polygamy is illegal;But gay marriage is legal in US because of legal complications. It is expected that within 50 years polygamy would become legal in US.
    Jayasala 42

6. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

wonderful ptient ananlysis of wedlock over the ages which I enjoyed between re-reads.
    this was a tad nostalgic when I was before superannuation in Mumbai. the episode is as under.

Our ever humble robust Sherpa watchman with a small hand knife in a sheath attached to his waist-belt asked for leave to go to his native place Tibet. When enquired for reason, he said he got a message that his wife in the family way and would deliver in a week or so and therefore he would like to be present there at least for a month. When I was wondering as to how his wife could became pregnant when continuously for the past three years without any gap in service he was with us attending to our daily needs and running odd errands. I was thinking probably he was going to settle score with his spouse or with some criminal intent he would proceed. Given that he was with us continuously for years, I felt the later reason seems to be more plausible that I wanted to dissuade him from proceeding to Tibet and therefore I told member-secretary of the society to persuade him to postpone his leave request. When I came to know he would proceed to Tibet, regardless of society secretary permit or not, i called him to my flat offered him a cup of ginger tea in a cup and saucer and in between sips he was enquiring of my UKG son’s academic progress as he had a likening for his talkative nature and jocularly suggested in Hindi, “sahib-Your son thinks deeply and analyse everything before making a statement and he has got questioning mind and therefore he would shine well if he becomes a lawyer.” I responded positively in Hindi, thanking him for his observation and suggestion. Quietly I mooted the topic of his leave. He expressed his unhappiness of secretary’s decision not permitting him and therefore he would resign.
    Always seen to be with a smiling face, I was upset seeing him with a dead-pan face and the thought of losing him as a watch-man impelled me to somehow know the real reason behind his risking the job and proceed to Tibet at all costs. I told him that secretary refused his leave because besides ridiculing the common-sense, the reason advanced by him was not acceptable and asked him how his faithful wife could be pregnant when he was working with us without any interruption for three years in a row.
    His response was shocking. He said his brothers are in Tibet and they are also married to the same lady as he was. He said in his community in Tibet it was an acceptable custom and in their society wedlock between a girl and many boys at the same time is quite common and was in vogue since several centuries. Then I remembered how Lord Krishna had been depicted in the epic Mahabharata in order to uphold Dharma and to trounce cheats was cordial with brother-husbands of Drowpadhi - the protagonist. So polyandry was in practice since mythological days.
    When he mentioned indicating that one of his brothers had done the job as rightfully as any husband could do, my eyes welled up. I felt guilty for the moment in thinking there could be some criminal intent in his desire to go to Tibet. I immediately called up and explained to the secretary of our building watchman’s rightful demand and then the watchman happily left the next day for Tibet to join his wife with her other husbands to celebrate the birth of their heir.
    After a month or so the Sherpa-watchman returned and called endearingly in heavily accented Hindi .....”Sahib- Ji I have returned to work” and proffering a small carton of milk-sweet (peda) added “My brother and I have become father of twins a boy and a girl.” I took one piece of sweet whence he requested take few more pieces of peda for my son and spouse. Someone looking like him was just approaching behind him and the Sherpa introduced him as his twin-brother. As my son just came running to me with toy-monkey set “look-no-evil, listen-no-evil and see-no-evil” Sherpa-watchman called him endearingly, “hareguddu become a lawyer; you would be great.”
    Thanks for your thread that triggered my memories to the above incident happened almost forty years ago.
    Regards.

MonikaSG and nakshatra1 like this.
  7. jayasala42

Thank you Thyagarajan Sir for tracing the earlier events.In interior villages, this is a common practice and no one talks ill of them. They take it as a matter of routine.
    jayasala 42

8. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

Not true , this is like saying most Indian men beat their wife for dowry. Lot of westerners I know believe in the sanctity of marriage. So let's not make general assumptions and paint everyone with the same brush .

Nylaa likes this.
  9. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

Period , Region , Social Situation are three factors that guide the practises adopted by of any group of people . When needs and mores change , practises too change . So nothing can be taken as an absolute value .
    As you say , sometime in future , when women become scarce , polyandry may become a way of life . I think there was a Hindi movie on this same premise some years ago .

10. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Jaya,
    In my opinion both bigamy and polyandry is against morality.
    Yesterday Telugu Desam Chief Minister Chandrababu Naidu was advising people to shun hum dho and hamare dho and have more children. Perhaps if people followed his advice this problem could be solved.
    PS