BIG SWITCH...Is this possible???***URGENT***

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by brahan, Jan 11, 2012.

1. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

I have around 6.5 years of work experience in the IT industry.I have done Post Graduation in Maths from the Top Technical Institute of the Country. I somehow landed up in this IT though i have a great passion and Inclination towards teaching. Today morning i saw an Ad in the Paper calling for Maths Teachers in one of the Reputed schools of Bangalore. (They have NOT asked for experience). However i do not have the Bachelor's in Education . Now my Questions are:

a. Do Schools take in teachers without B.Ed??
    b. Can you list me some of the Reputed Universities wherein i can do Bed through correspondence?
    c. Have any of you had such a Big Switch in Life??Is this practically possible???

Please help. TIA

1 person likes this.
  2. 2bkind

2bkind Silver IL'ite

I would strongly suggest you go for it. Most schools do require a BEd degree for teaching positions, however, your Maths degree from a top institute is a definite advantage. You could high light it in your covering letter and also include information like experience in tutoring(if you have any ). If you get called for an interview, its advisable for you to go prepared with a demo in the topic (relevant for the grade you are applying for). This is very essential as most schools prefer to have a live demo and a favorable feedback will be a important factor in selection.
    About BEd degree, a couple of my cousin's who are school teachers are doing BEd through IGNOU and it is said to have a good reputation in the industry. The main point here is following your passion and taking steps in that direction to get success in life. All the best.

3. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a Lot 2bkind. I was expecting a positive and encouraging reply and i got one. Yeah, getting the PG from the Top tech schools is my Plus and i will definitely use it for my covering letter.

4. orion80

orion80 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Brahan,

Kudos to you for contemplating such a step. Many of us are stuck in jobs or fields which we do not like and fear a change.

I guess you are talking about the NPS ad.

One needs lot of courage and patience to make this happen. Also lot of support from family and less financial dependencies on the current salary.

If your family is backing you, i strongly suggest you to go for it.

1 person likes this.
  5. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

I wish i had the courage like you. Not that i hate my job but it is not something i enjoy! Decent pay, less job stress, confusion, and importantly fear to take such drastic decision is holding me back. I have given myself some time line to introspect and take some hard decisions. I wish you all the best.

6. ILoveTulips

ILoveTulips IL Hall of Fame

I dont know the answers for 1 & 2. But for 3, I would suggest you to go for it. You would be happy to have entered into the field you loved. Even if you feel otherwise after sometime, you can always come back to IT as you have good experience. But if you don't give teaching a chance, you will always keep wondering, "what if", "How could it be", "Did I miss a golden opportunity" etc.. Work is where you spend 75% of your life, and it would be lot more fun if that is in the area of your passion. There can be millions of Software Engineers, no one would remember you once you left; But you would create great impression on thousands of kids for their life time if you are a good teacher. Kudos to you for considering this option; I would definitely do that, if I had your qualification.. I wish you all the best.. !

7. divyasselvan

divyasselvan Silver IL'ite

Give more info about the Ad.. I am also considering about a switch..

8. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Thanks a lot. Yes it is Ad for the NPS.I have been thinking a lot about this for the past two years. This time i am very determined to do it. I dont mind even if i get half the pay i am getting now, i would be be having Job Satisfaction and also more time to spend with the kid.

9. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Thank you Fence sitter. I have been also not giving serious thought because of the above reasons. But this time i really want to put down and give a serious Thoughts. With all your Kind words let me give a try. Hope it clicks.

10. brahan

brahan Platinum IL'ite

Divya,

The Ad is for a school in Bangalore. I think you are in chennai rite?