1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bhagirathi Aunty And Her Harmonium

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheenya sir,

Perhaps the fights kept their marriage vibrant - she might have seen no reason to keep the harmonium if she cannot feel the same vibrancy no? Old people (not you!) can be very interesting tell you My own grand mother who is 94/95 almost always complains with "Oh Bhgavantha! Why have you kept me alive still? Have I not suffered and seen enough?" in a very dramatic way every time her grand children call and we are too many to count. Then again, come a wedding in the family (considering the number of us cousins), she goes "Oh Bhagavantha! Please keep me healthy to help me get through this wedding. Thank you for all your blessings." All we do is laugh heartily never failing to remind her that all her complaints will disappear when she hears of a grand child's wedding! I have to tell you that I feel incredibly lucky to stil have her and I am glad she is not the bearer of bad news. All she is interested is in the welfare of her very large family. I was thinking of grim reaper as you described Bhageerathi aunty!

Forget the abhorring serials, sometimes being off internet/social meda gives me so much of quietness that I remind myself to do that as often as I can. Thank fully, I don't have much to share or exchange and happy to be in my corner. So you are right in telling aunty that it is not her, but the serials that could be the culprit.

sindmani likes this.
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

@jayasala42

Dear jayasala
    I am reminded of the story of Seshadri Swamigal of Thiruvannamalai who was there ahead of Ramana Maharshi. When Sri Ramana Maharishi was in his younger days doing meditation in Pathala Linga cave of Arunachala Temple, it was Sri Séshadri Swamigal who gave him protection from urchins and brought him to the notice of the world. Everyday Sashadri Swamigal would enter a hotel or sweetmeat shop and throw the food items for the street dogs and beggars. That day the shop would achieve ten times of its normal sale. So the shop keepers would consider his visit a boom!
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  3. Cheeniya

@Srama
    Why have you excluded me? Am I not interesting? My maternal grandma would often ask me, 'Tell me Pappa, when will I die?' She called me Pappa as she could not call me by my name which is the same as my grandpa's. One day I was in a foul mood because my mother would not let me go to a movie in view the approaching exam. So when my grandma repeated the question that she usually asked, I told her that her death would come within a week! She lived for many years after that and would call be a bad astrologer! People who make a regular plea of death usually have a greater passion for life!
    Sri

4. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Cheeniya,
    After reading your snippet I am very much worried because Bhagirathi aunty told you that so many people kicked the bucket. Definitely there will be shortage of buckets for those who are willing to kick the bucket.
    I feel that when a person has completed the duties he/she would have the option to kick the bucket as and when they wish. Alas! We have not been given that choice. I know that as and when we enter the world our departure date is written.
    My mother who left this world after she completed 93 years and was adored by her relatives, friends and all used to say that Chitraguptha had misplaced her expiry date chit.
    I wonder longevity is really a boon or bane.
    PS

5. Cheeniya

@PushpavalliSrinivasan
    I always wonder about the mechanics of birth and death.There are many couples who are childless and keep praying for one. So births may elude some couples but death is the ultimate eventuality of everyone. No one is exempt from it. But people like your mother attain immortality by their actions while alive. Immortality is nothing but the love people shower on a person even after his death.
    Longevity is a boon or bane depends on the kind of life a person leads. I know a lady in my neighborhood who is well past 90. I have heard her daughter in law remarking that it would be in the best interest of all if she kicked the bucket. Everything depends on the quality of life that we lead.
    Sri

sindmani likes this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear sir,

Put this way, I can see how I might have misrepresented what I wanted to say.
    The fact that we all enjoy reading you so much, makes you very interesting - not to mention the wise owl persona!

Last edited: May 1, 2017
    Cheeniya and shyamala1234 like this.
  7. Cheeniya

@Srama

Looks like I fished for a generous compliment!

8. Iravati

Iravati Platinum IL'ite

How did I miss this Bhagirathi aunty? If I skipped the harmonium, it still makes sense because I am tone-deaf but Bhagirathi aunty, how?

I love your blogs for two reasons 1) personal anecdotes, relevant citations and pointers to world mythology 2) below William Burroughs- styed naked truth

You relay such incidents out loud for others to cross-check. Do I indulge in such appraisals? O'yeh, big time! I am not active on social networks but people I know are. Occasionally, they pull up the profiles of common friends to comment …”she used to be rail thin ...look at her ....she used to be greasy haired ...phoren and look at her permed hair ....she used to look like a doll ...look at her." I am sure the reciprocal comments will be no different on our drab appearances ..."she used to have glamorous hair that is reduced to peach fuzz now ...phoren and she has a tattoo now". Funny, we assume we are aging more gracefully than the rest whereas everyone is going down the same drain.

I look at the mirror and pat vain, huh! I still look like a college kid.
    The mirror might be smirking back, what a hag I have to reflect everyday.

More on harmonium later.

9. Cheeniya

@Iravati
    By saying 'you look almost my age', Bhagirathi aunty could have meant either I looked too old for my age or she looked too young for her age. A day after our meeting, I felt sorry that I reacted that way. I could have told her, 'Certainly aunty. You don't look a day older than me'. I missed a chance to be nice to a lovable old lady. I don't know why we initially react in a hostile manner when people make an uncharitable remark about our physical appearance.
    Very true. I would never like to be a mirror and uttering lies all the time about people who stand in front of me. I can't help recalling The Picture of Dorian Gray. Thankfully we do not have any person today to ask a mirror, 'Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the fairest of them all?'

10. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

I wonder how I missed this interesting rambling of yours. I am sure it must have been so irritating to listen to the laundry list of your friends who have kicked the bucket but considering her age, you can excuse her. In our family, there is a talk that male members either die between 60-65 or else live long life. I am right in the middle of this age range and I am not too concerned about how long I live. Rather, I am worried about how happy I am as long as I am alive.

Having met you in person and read everyone of your ramblings, I know the sense of humor you possess in you despite all your health issues. You are going to live long no matter what anyone says.

Harmonium is my favorite instrument and I would have gladly taken it from her had she told me she was going to throw it. What I don't understand is why someone should insist on not playing harmonium because Nehru didn't like it. Perhaps, she threw harmonium away to accompany her husband to remind him about her.

I am wondering what was going to be your response when that elderly lady asked you, "Is this your wife?". You left it in suspense. It amazes me when people ask, "how old you have become?" Aren't we supposed to get older as we progress in our age? We are not Goldie Hawn to remain young forever.

Viswa