1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bf Parents Are Visiting

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Cantdecide, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Ah yes, this issue is pretty specific to his immediate family only. He has a decent amount of deference to what they want and so tries to see if what they want is compatible with what I am ok with and if not, he spends a lot of time mediating between us. It's a lot of effort for sure.

With his friends and cousins, etc. it's not an issue at all, I just am myself totally and everything is fine. We go out with them to movies, beach, dancing, drinking, whatever and have fun. He gets more worried with his family and then because he's concerned it makes me feel like...oh...I need to be concerned too.

It definitely is an issue more exclusive to an intercultural relationship - because we do not come from the same understanding of expectations and traditions. Like to me and my friends, we would never have our parents visit for more than 7-10 days at a time. And to him and his friends, several months at a time is normal. Or like the touching feet - I'd never heard of this custom before dating him, and it's important to him and his family. Whereas to an Indian woman, she most likely has at least heard of this. Same with dowry, the idea is so antiquated to me and my friends, but his family still adheres to it, etc. So with all of these differences of course we have to be a little more specific when we speak to each other.

raosh2 likes this.
  2. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

NO .talking is not a traditional expected behaviour of the DIL.i think you are feeling stressed because you are not ffully aware of the indian culture.just be polite and treat them nicely.dont BEND OVER TOO MUCH.

Cantdecide likes this.
  3. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Thank you! You put it exactly correctly - because I am not fully aware of the Indian culture, I do not know what is reasonable or not or what will make them offended. I do want to make an effort to get to know his parents! But I am afraid that what an "effort" means to me may be very different than what is expected from his family. Thanks. I will be polite and nice of course, and will try to keep a balance between not doing too much and making some efforts. :)

4. chanchitra

chanchitra Platinum IL'ite

Are you going to marry him or already married. I liked your quote resident firangi

Cantdecide likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Deleted.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
  6. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Haha thank you. We are not married or engaged, just dating. :) We are moving in the direction of getting married, but nothing is set in stone

7. SunPa

SunPa Platinum IL'ite

@Cantdecide , It is good that you are being prepared . Meeting BF's parents can be tough -without the added pressure of interracial match.

But I guess you guys are the worriers and the precastinator type of personality. I think what most posters want to stress is go with the flow, be mostly yourself maybe just a little more conservative in talk/behaviour and just be mentally prepared to be surprised with some customs.

Just one thing to warn you, typically Indian moms tend to be possessive of their sons. Sometimes you might just seem like competition to them, like who does he love more? Such talk/actions are something you need to recognise and not participate in, because there will be no winners.

for any relationship there has to be a give and take. If they can really understand what you mean to their son and his happiness , they will be accommodating too.At the end of the day, only if they are willing to do that , your efforts and your bf's efforts will pay off.
    You will have a good time with them. fingers crossed :)

Cantdecide likes this.
  8. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Thank you! :) I think he and I end up worrying each other haha so it's nice to have outside perspective too. I do actually feel excited to meet them, after all they raised an amazing son!!

9. abla

abla Gold IL'ite

FYI Dowry is illegal in India : ) Are they expecting you to pay them dowry if you end up getting married to their son ?

KashmirFlower likes this.
  10. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

I didn't know that it was illegal until it was mentioned on here! Even if it's "illegal" people still do it right? At least that is what my BF said. His parents wanted a dowry from his ex wife and it caused issue when she would not agree to it because she thought it was antiquated. Part of why I'm nervous is he says his ex wife and his parents really did not get along, and I feel like - well if she is Indian from his town, and she had trouble - what chance do I stand?

As for their expectations of me / my family paying dowry I have no idea, but my BF and I both agree it's not going to happen.