1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bf Parents Are Visiting

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Cantdecide, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

Aren't these uncut-umbilical cord issues ? Declaring their son as your bf (@Rihana: noun, not verb) is a challenge to the first owner. ;) If you are very concerned about "how they may want me / him to behave with regard to them" Rihana's advice about having the bf stand between you and them at all times would be a good idea. You take cues from bf., about where to keep your hands, knees, etc..

Dowry ?!! Flatten some copper pennies on a railroad, and hand one to each of them.

2. memeera1234

memeera1234 Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Try to do whatever possible things suggested by your bf.
    But do remember one thing- You be as you are. Adjust but donot drown with the flow

Cantdecide likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Be yourself .Don't do things that you will be uncomfortable doing in the long run.

As for talking to his mom......talking is a good way of knowing each other,but also has scope of misunderstanding when there are cultural differences.Start by being a bit formal and respectful and then take it from there as you get to know each other.
    Don't take it as a duty that you have to fulfill because your bf thinks you should.Being forced to do something just spoils it for later because of simmering resentment.

Regarding him changing in front of parents.....take this seriously.
    If you have read the forum in detail..you will realize that it is the bane of a lot of Indian marriages .
    The treating of wife as invisible or not that important in front of his parents can be quite insulting.
    If you feel uncomfortable with the way he behaves with you in front of them....let him know his change in behavior around his parents makes you uncomfortable.
    Most men do it subconsciously.
    If he is one of those ,then he will make an effort to change .
    If he is one of those who feels it is fine to treat wife/gf with less importance ,to keep parents happy or to keep from hurting his parents,then it is trouble.
    Will you be fine being treated like this few months every year and maybe for ever once his parents need to move in with you guys for care permanently .

Same with lack of privacy.If he is fine giving up privacy for 3 weeks...it will most likely continue when they visit for longer periods after marriage.

Regarding touching feet...it is your call.It doesn't have to be every time you meet .Doing it the first time you meet and then when they leave should be fine too if they are reasonable.But I would suggest ,keep it for after marriage.Doing it now will just increase unnecessary expectations .

As for dowry....let him know that giving and taking dowry...specially asking for dowry is a crime under Indian laws.Don't indulge any such expectations.Tell him you do not want to adopt the worst of Indian culture when there are better things to adopt from it .

Regarding learning cooking...if you want to be the one cooking after marriage,then do feel free to learn.If you want to share cooking,then tell your bf to learn some dishes from his mom and then teach you later .; )

Best wishes.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
  4. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

You talk what you are comfortable talking . Include bf in the conversations and let him do most of the talking.

As for his dad.Discuss things like tea ,food etc freely but be careful with politics etc unless your views are same .Avoid confrontations over such issues that don't matter in personal life .I learnt it the hard way.
    You can be semi formal and avoid unnecessary touching like hugging ,patting etc till you know them better.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  5. coffeecups

coffeecups Gold IL'ite

Touching feet.. taking dowry
    Tell them u too have a tradition.. rolling eyes

Cantdecide, Laks09, Rihana and 3 others like this.
  6. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Hahaha, I roll my eyes all too much already! :). I told BF that I'm not comfortable with that touching feet and he is concerned, but will respect my decision. I have made a lot of effort and changes already I'm just really uncomfortable with this - partly I don't like feet in general lol and partly I am not comfortable with the symbolism of it.

sbonigala and blissofmylife like this.
  7. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Thank you for your response! I think I am happy to generally have small conversations and get to know his parents. Doesn't mean sometimes I won't be a little tired or just want to rest after work - but I can make an effort.

I honestly had not even considered how much he may change when his parents are here. I know when his sister visited it was terrible and he was not very good with me. We almost broke up a few times about it. I was told by an Indian woman friend that it would be 10x worse when his parents were here, but from what he's said it seems like it is just the obvious "changes" - don't kiss in front of them lol, don't hang all over each other, etc. I am a little burned by what I've already experience which adds to the nervousness, but I won't know until I see for myself.

We discussed the length of the visit and we are both okay with the length and frequency. Compromise for both lol

Yeah, I already told him I am not comfortable with touching feet. Will see maybe if I change my perspective later, but for now, I really don't want to.

He personally does not believe in dowry, and as I understand he will stick with that with his parents.

Haha, yes he is already a pretty good cook. Much better at Indian food than me for sure :).

8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I am fairly certain the expectations they might have of a desi woman will be different than expectations of someone from a different race. I am pretty sure that they won't expect you to fall at their feet and pay a dowry if you 2 get married.

I feel both you and your boyfriend might be overthinking your relationship! As for the parents visit, be as nice as you would to anyone else who might come visit you. That should suffice.

Cantdecide likes this.
  9. Cantdecide

Cantdecide Silver IL'ite

Hahaha, I wouldn't do either of those things :p That is part of their concern at least, that certain of their expectation have to be reset.

I definitely overthink hahaha, and he does a little bit not as much as me. :) He is really worried about making sure the visit goes well, so I am trying to help ease his worries.

10. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

I still don't get it! Maybe because I am not in an inter-racial relationship.

So what do you guys do? Make a list of all the expectations his parents might have and check off on what you will and won't do?

1) Fall at feet - NO
    2) Talk - Sometimes
    3) Dowry - NO
    4) ...

I am genuinely bemused. Is there any spontaneity in your relationship? Both of you just seem to be conveying expectations to each other all the time and deciding whether the other will be OK with it or not. Of course, I am only understanding from what you are posting here and the other thread.