1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Betrayal

Discussion in 'Poetry' started by Tamrakshar, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Tamrakshar

Tamrakshar Platinum IL'ite

You were stranded in dark
    As you didn't know how to fly
    I gave you the lift
    Took you to the airport
    Where you took your dream flight.
    Now you accuse me of
    Driving the car too fast
    And putting a hand on your thigh?

You searched for a lattice too long
    And you couldn't grow for
    Want of a support
    I gave you the support
    And you creeped all over me
    You encircled me from bottom to top
    To climb to your destination.
    Now you accuse me of
    Transgressing your modesty?

2. Mistt

Mistt IL Hall of Fame

Looks like you had written this poem against #me too movement. You wanted to convince the readers with the slogan of "I have right on you because I supported/helped you in reaching destination.

3. Tamrakshar

Well, this has nothing to do with the ongoing movement, which I guess is bigger than our freedom movement! Actually, I have been too busy to take note of this movement. This poem is about breach of trust; it's about ingratitude. I am just representing the lamentations of a ladder who was ridden by a female to reach great heights, but when she no longer could remain in that height, she accused the ladder.

4. BhumiBabe

BhumiBabe Platinum IL'ite

That's exactly what I thought, reading this.

5. Tamrakshar

No sane person can support exploitation. But, this poem is not about exploited women. The situation it depicts can't be called exploitation.

6. Lalithambigai

Lalithambigai IL Hall of Fame

Fine. Let's assume these are all mere coincidences. Title of this poem being betrayal and betrayal of trust being the base of #MeToo, you feeling like sharing the lamentations of a ladder just when #MeToo is picking up in India and a female having ridden the ladder to great heights and not a guy.

Question: If a painter claims he painted a rabbit and everyone seeing the painting can only see a tiger in it, should it be called a tiger painting or a rabbit painting? so people don't feel the title/label of the painting is wrong.

This poem is so well-written that I see only two possibilities for the inspiration of this poem, #MeToo or personal experience. Either way, this poem is just one side of the coin. I wouldn't be surprised if the other side of the coin shows up as another poem on another thread by someone else :) Thanks for showing us this side of the coin so well by sharing this poem.

7. Tamrakshar

Well Lalita, in that case let's understand the difference between the two situations: In the first case, a boss or employer is exploiting or harassing a female employee by misusing his power. But, the second situation that I portrayed is a tad different. Here, the female is willing to climb the ladder, no body is forcing her to choose a particular path, knowing fully well that in the course of time physical intimacy will be the byproduct of her ascend.