Best schools in New Mumbai

Discussion in 'Mumbai & Navi Mumbai' started by MrsMulchandani, Jun 16, 2009.

1. MrsMulchandani

MrsMulchandani New IL'ite

All,

I am shifting to Navi Mumbai, and would like to know your feedback on best schools in Navi Mumbai. We will be based near Airoli/Koparkhaine/Nerul.
    Also, I heard that giving tutions is a big time business of most school teachers in mumbai, is that true? And students who dont take these tutions are failed by the teachers? Please let me know of schools that do not have this kind of culture.

Thanks!!

2. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

3. MrsMulchandani

Thanks Mals,

You seem to be the most active member here!! Appreciate your help!

I was looking for feedback/review kind of stuff, there aint much info in the link. I guess Mumbaikars are way toooo busy.. :-(

hope we have a dedicated school sub forum under navi mumbai, so that its easier for parents like me to post school related queries. ILs in other cities are actively discussing about schools/education and there is tons of info available. Hope we get to do the same for Mumbai/Navi Mumbai too!!

Wake up Mumbai ILs!! :)

4. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Mrs Mulchandani,

Merit holders are from small schools which has Vidyalaya in their names.

A child who has an inclination to do well, will do it anywhere.

Father Agnel is one of the best schools of Navi Mumbai with merit holders every year on board.

5. MrsMulchandani

Thanks again Mals,

Since I am focussed on Nerul area, so was looking on actual feedback, inputs from parents who have schools going kids in that area. I was more keen on schools that emphasise on overall development of a child.

I disagree here! Most of the times, the right environment, teachers and values bring out the best in an otherwise shy, quite or laid back child. A child spends 70-80% of learning hours in a school, and the right school - (big or small is irrelevant), makes all the difference. All gems are not cut the same, some need more polishing to sparkle!

cheers

6. Prettina

Prettina Gold IL'ite

You are right MrsMulchandani

Schools in Mumbai are not much appreciated other than for communication skills and extra curricular activities.

But as you say there are teachers who make tutions as business.

Any school you get admitted your child you have to take measures and help the child in studies.

As teachers are not much concerned about the students.

They just mark the answers and students have to take their own interest in studies.

But there are exceptions also.

I personally experience that studies in down Tamilnadu is qualitative compared to Mumbai.Teachers are so much concerned about the students.
    No need to study at home.they make the lessons thorough in school only.

7. bhansnig

bhansnig Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    I fully agree with you.
    I ve lived in many cities and in my experience I find that Navi Mumbai schools rather child unfriendly.A little concern shown by the teachers would go a long way in moulding the child.

I am not sure abt teachers giving tuitions but coaching classes thrive, In higher classes students depend more on classes than the school.I find this very unhealthy.I feel that children here are pressurised more than necessary.

8. MrsMulchandani

Thanks Prettina and Bhansnig,

My elder one is 3.8 and younger is 2 years old. Older one is already in a CBSE school here in Bangalore in LKG, so we have to restart the search for a school in Navi Mumbai.

How old are your kids? Would be great if you can let me know the following:
    1. Teacher student ratio in schools (DPS, DAV, Apeejay etc). Individual attention?
    2. Play learning vs rote learning
    3. Homework - lots of it, or manageable?
    4. Teacher interaction with parents, how accessible are teachers to parents?
    5. Fees structure - admission, tution, extra curricular, bus etc?
    6. Stress on overall development

Here in Bangalore, we have all sorts of options from pure academics schools, to new age schools etc. Quality of education appears to be good as I do not see the tution/coaching culture here.

Hence worried about the schools etc. It would be great if you and other experienced parents here can share some information!!

Thanks again!

Thanks in advance.

9. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

Friends,

Details of school and their contacts should be exchanged through PM. It is the rule of the site. I have just finished giving details through PM for all the queries raised by my freinds.

We can discuss about the schools and their quality of teaching openly.

10. MrsMulchandani

Thanks Mal, I think my questions above cater to the feedback category. Any feedback is appreciated - either on forum or through PM.
    cheers!

PS: I've seen people discussing about fees/admission details etc for various schools in other IL forums. Not sure if you consider this information confidential! As such there is very limited info on schools in mumbai, contact details can be obtained on websites, but feedback is something that only existing parents/students can give. Let me know if its against the "rules" to discuss the queries above!