Best school for +2

Discussion in 'Schools/Playschools/Daycares' started by Arabudupi, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Arabudupi

Arabudupi Bronze IL'ite

I'm planning to shift to Chennai in March 2011 for better education puprpose for my elder son who is doing 10th now here in UAE. I've shortlisted a few schools on whatever info I got- Chettinad Vidyashram, bala Vidya Mandir, Vidya Mandir, Sri Sankara, PSBB etc. I'd prefer a school where there are facilities for coaching for engineering .

I'd like to know if

:there is any NRI quota in any of the schools?

: what is the admission procedure? my son will be appearing for the board exam (its compulsory in his school) , will there be any entrance exam also?

: should the student/parent be present at the time of applying? i guess some schools start giving applications december onwards.

: is there any preference for the sibling to be admitted in the same school? i'd prefer to put my little one also for 3rd std in the same school.

Hope my friends in IL can throw some light on my queries.. thnaks in advance.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Arabudupi, all the best for your r2i. most of the schools are said to give application forms by march..(last heard). you can get into most of the schools in the cbse boards, but i have not heard about the schools coaching. you have to opt for coaching outside. most of the kids start in the 9th standard. i thought you were from villivakkam/ambattur area. then you could try sboa..and there are few coaching centres in anna nagar that have been giving good results..

there is not quota. but when it comes to engineering, you are in the nri quota as far as i know..because you have to be in india for the last 4 years when you apply for engineering..

depends on the school. since he is already appearing for the exams, the results should suffice.

: should the student/parent be present at the time of applying? i guess some schools start giving applications december onwards.

you can definitely try for the sibling admission.

3. n.yamuna

n.yamuna New IL'ite

Hi shanti

As we are planning to shift next april for my son's admission into class 11 mostly in bangalore school, it's shocking me that you have mentioned for engineering college it comes under nri fees, what we have been told is 2 years of domicile is sufficient for getting admission into engineering colleges, please can you clarify my doubt what is the rule/time required for this college admissions both in chennai and bangalore(if you can)

thanks in advance
    yamuna

Last edited: Nov 8, 2010
  4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

yamuna,

I think the same holds for both the states as far as i know.

but i am very sure for tamilnadu..
    last year v's colleague paid 8 lacs for some course in chennai. another friend paid 18lacs for physio in karnataka.. ..

TNEA Eligibility Criteria for other states / Non-localities

Candidates belonging to Tamil Nadu only will be considered for TNEA admission.

• "Nativity Certificate" is not necessary to enclose if the candidates who have studied VIII, IX, X, XI & XII Std. in Tamil Nadu.
    • "Nativity Certificate" is must if the student have passed any of the VIII, IX, X, XI & XII Std. or their equivalent Examination from schools situated outside Tamil Nadu. TNEA Applications without proper Nativity Certificate will not be considered.

If the candidates from other states want to apply to TNEA, they should satisfy atleast one condition mentioned below.

• Candidates studied VIII, IX, X, XI & XII Std. in Tamil Nadu.

5. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

DEAR AD
    Some schools start giving application by December and some of them have entrance.I know that in DAV they have entrance.Siblings get preference.My co sister is working in PSBB,I can find out from her,if you want.I am going to to Chennai for a short vacation,I will get you the details if you want.PS senior secondary and Sivaswami Kalalaya are also good schools.My nephews studied in PSBB and for engineering they want to coaching schools outside the school.

6. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

Shanvy
    I do not follow about this TNEA application,does that mean the children who have completed their schooling abroad stand no chance in engineering colleges in TAMIL NADU.

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Kanaka,

How are you. i have been talking about this for some time now. i thought it was minimum 4 years, but it looks like it is 5 years.

and it does not mean that you do not have a chance in engineering colleges. it means that you don't compete in the general quota but apply from the nri quota and this has been split to the gulf a certain percentage.. have to check out before i give the actual percentage.

some people, who do not want to risk, just apply straight to the college of their choice, like one of dh's colleague opted vit, another sastra and another srm, go and pay the fees and get the seat.

infact there is a rumor/truth i am not sure but paying 70lacs, you can get your medical seat, finish your college get your degree and come out..one time payment in a very reputed medical college chennai..

8. n.yamuna

n.yamuna New IL'ite

thanks shanvy for your reply, I have to scratch my head now and see what is the rule in bangalore

regards
    yn

9. Arabudupi

Arabudupi Bronze IL'ite

Thanks so much Shanvy for your info. I think nativity certificate might be required in govt engineering colleges. Is that what you meant? becoz one of my relative's son in Bombay joined D B jain college after his +2 in Bombay.

Right now I'm mainly concerned about admission to +2 in a good school. Its a tough decision, leaving DH back here and relocating with kids to chennai. My parents are in Villivakkam but i would be renting a flat close to the school where my kids get admission. ( i prefer tiruvanmiyur/besant nagar/adyar being good residential areas).

Any idea about St. john's CBSE school in Manadaveli? ALso Hindu School (?) in Adyar.

10. radhikrish

radhikrish Silver IL'ite

Shanthi,

You have mentioned only one condition, which is the second condition?
    Also pl tell me whether this nativity certificate is applicable only for TN local colleges where they get admitted thru 12th marks or colleges where AIEEE scores are considered for admission like NIT, Trichy etc.?
    Further how to get this nativity certificate? Is it given only to people born in TN or to tamilians in general , but born in other states?

I have asked too many questions, pl try to guide me, since I am on a transferable job, we never stay in one place for more than 4-5 years, so I need to take some decisions before I shift my dd if I get transfered.