1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

"Best out of waste",support my thread

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by sankasailaja, Feb 17, 2007.

did u like my thread

1. yes

131 vote(s)
    99.2%
  2. no

1 vote(s)
    0.8%
  1. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

Shoe box

If you save shoe boxes they come in handy for organizing & storing various things like greeting cards, photos, memorblia, candles, socks, any kind of knick-knacks, tools. They can be wrapped in used gift wrap/calender sheets to look pretty. You can even use these boxes to catalog n' store phone no.s, address - like an immobile rolodex. Same can be done to organize birthday/anniversaries month-wise.
    This doesn't exclusive stop with show boxes, any kind of hard cardboard box which can neatly be closed & put in a drawer or on a shelf.
    L.

1 person likes this.
  2. sankasailaja

sankasailaja Bronze IL'ite

thanks

hi
    thanks to vidya,varudhini,tezheeb,kamla,malini,vidyasarada,mohana,sonia,lavanya and everybody who contributed their ideas in my thread.

il keep on posting like this.:wave

3. Manjureddy

Manjureddy Gold IL'ite

Fold Old cotton sarees and dothis five or six times , machinestich in wide criss cross lines , run piping with contrast coloured ribbon on all four sides. It makes a very soft and cosy quilt or layette for babies.

( I think a similar idea has already been posted in another thread. )

Colourful ads. from glossy magazines can be used for cutting out floral or star shapes which can then be fixed to birthday streamers ,for a festive look.

Wedding Invites: Many are printed on beautiful art paper or handmade paper. Use the unprinted parts to make book marks and gift tags.

sindmani likes this.
  4. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai, a very useful and lively thread, I must say.
    My findings-
    the cartons which we get while we buy Complan or any other product, can be used as holders for a variety of things- like letters, table mats etc. Stick beautiful coloured paper on the outside after cutting them to required size. I use such ones to store CDs. You can even embroider some fancy motifs on cloth and stick that to the carton.
    Old cotton sarees or dupattas can be made into door mats. Just cut the saree on the long side in three parts. Stich together at one end tightly. Then plait it. Fasten the end too with thread. Then tightly roll it in circular or oval shape, and stich with sack needle and thick thread, as you go rolling. Finally stitch the end in place. This will look colourful too.

sindmani likes this.
  5. sonia

sonia Bronze IL'ite

Hi All,

U can use old towel for mopping the floor.Its very easy to collect spilled water from it and very easy to rinse the whole water away frm it.

Normally we got very gud dupatta wd party wear or even wd normal suits.When ur suit is old u can make dresses frm dupatta for girls for ur daughters,nieces etc.I usually made dress frm my dupatta for my daughter and some turned so gud that each n every body was asking frm which shop u bought this dress.

Hope u liked the idea.

6. srilak

srilak Senior IL'ite

HI,

Recently, I saw one waste thing using as useful ones. We useually buy paul's yogurt and icecreams and those will come in small plastic boxes. These plastic boxes we can clean and save. Whenevr, u invite people to a dinner party, u can give the leftover to your friends in these plastic boxes and didn't have to give your new plastic ware. One more thing your friends didn't have to return your boxes and u don't have remeber about your plastic box.

Regards
    srilak.

sindmani likes this.
  7. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hai Srilak,
    I pack lunch or pickles in sweet boxes and other bottles of pickles. This way, the person has no problem of returning the container. And even we can take food in them and dispose the containers, when we go for long tours, to avoid much luggage.

sindmani likes this.
  8. sankasailaja

flowerfountain from x-ray

hi

an x-ray can be made into a fountain.
    cut the x-ray into lines without seperating.
    mark one side into 2cm,from there u go on cut till the end.
    now it will look that as it falling.
    now roll it as thin as u can.
    pin it or apply a rubber band at the bottom.
    on the edge of the falling of the x-ray cut the line on one one half then it will become point,on that pin a thermocal balls if u have.
    it will look colourful.
    place it in a pot vase/any drinkk tin.

bye:wave

1 person likes this.
  9. sankasailaja

u can use the empty powder bottles for bleaching/any plants fertilizer/any powders that kilss insects etc.so that we need not to clean hands when we spread.

sindmani likes this.
  10. Lavanya

Lavanya Bronze IL'ite

1. This is some what similar to sankasailaja's tip ... use any container with a tight screw top lid & poke holes in the lid (with a fine needle or nail & hammer).

You can fill these containers with flour & use for dusting while making rotis. If you fill it with confectionner's sugar you can dust your baked desserts. Similarly you can fill it will rava or couscous & use it to sprinkle rava evenly while making kichidis etc. without forming lumps.

Depending on the ingredient you want to store inside this container you can adjust the size of the holes you make. Also if you place a piece of wax paper to line the inside of the lid then it will cover the holes when you don't use it.

2. Another tip is you can cut dressy worn out dupatta or saree's pallu to make pretty tie backs (fold & stitch the sides up but remember to slit 2 eyes holes for the hooks its the same option as button holes in sewinng machines) for curtains. If you have a good length to spare then you can even make a valance out of it.

3. This one may be known to many ... old toothbrushes to clean/polish narrow areas like utensils such as pressure cooker, in ornate pooja articles, in between the tiles (grout).