1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best out of Waste - easy crafts

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by tuffyshri, Aug 10, 2011.

1. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

A contest was conducted in my work place to spread Go Green awareness. That was to create something good out of wate. I had submitted a few entries for this. Alas, I couldnt take pictures bcoz of time crunch. But here are the brief of what I had done. All out of mean things, especially wedding invitations.

Some of these are inspired by some web sites which I didnt book mark.

Book-marks cards -
    1) draw rectangular box in the invitation card.
    2) cut them. paste two to three layers if you feel the paper is thin.
    3) punch a hole on one side.
    4) strip a small thread, preferably colorful and tie in the hole.
    5) color/paint/write positive words/decorate the bookmarks as per your imagination.
    Bookmarks are ready.

Twig photo frame -
    1) make a trip in your garden or around your house
    2) collect dry twigs. preferable in same size. collect at least 16 sticks, otherwise your choice. dry twigs are easy to work with than the green ones.
    3) trim the twigs to be of same length.
    4) paste 3 twigs together - very tough, even after using fevicol. may be you can use transparent cellopane tapes. you will be ending with 4 sets of twigs pasted to each other.
    5) arrange the twigs like a rectangle and paste the intersections. This will be your ‘frame’
    6) take a thin choir, tie as a ‘X’ in the intersecting corners. paste in the back side.
    7) take a picture that would fit the frame and paste it in the backside.
    8.) tie or paste a thread in the top twig and hang.

Newspaper based wall hanger
    1) collect newspaper. Tear them into equal squares
    2) roll each paper square (like cigarettes) and paste the edge
    3) arrange the paper rolls and stick each other. This will form the base.
    4) take an invitation card, cut into a size that may fit this base.
    5) stick the newspaper base on to this invitation piece
    6) punch holes in the invitation piece and tie a thread
    7) draw/color/stick images/decorate the front side of the invitation card as per your wish. (I stuck a Ganesh image out of another invitation card and decorated it)
    8.) Use the thread to hang the piece

Paper Aquarium Toy -
    1) Take a box of any size, preferably with a lid. I used a random box with an attached lid that had transperant glass sheet.
    2) Use the invitation cards, draw small fish images and cut them into shape. color them as per your wish.
    3) you can draw two card board fish, attach them to three sides, fill with sand or thermocool beads so that they look 3 D
    4) cut few threads of varying sizes. tie one end to the fish.
    5) cello-tape this thread on one side of the box (inside). if you keep back the box, the fish should hang.
    6) repeat with few other fish.
    7) you can draw plant like, stone like pictures in the invitation card, cut along their shape, color and paste them in the bottom side of the box. can use real small stones also.
    8.) if you have the lid being transparent, just close the box and stick the lid
    9) otherwise, draw a rectangle on the lid and cut along the shape. stick a glass paper if you want. close the box and stick the lid.
    10) when you set the box, the fish will look like they are floating.

Miniature solar system -
    This, I did not submit to the contest. But is an easy one.
    1) Collect 9 balls of different sizes. you can use of the decorative balls for the christmas tree.
    2) If you are unable to find balls - create origami balls using newspaper or crush large rectangles of newspaper into balls. quote them with another paper to give a smooth finish.
    3) Color the balls - stick golden paper around the largest ball. This will be our sun. Choose the next largest one as jupiter, blue color one as earth, smallest as mars, stick silver paper around venus, etc.
    3) Take a large card board or thermocool. Use corn flakes boxes. Stick 2 to 3 boards to provide thickness. Draw a circle and cut along. Draw 9 circles inside, to represent the galaxy.
    4) Tie threads around the balls - it is tough if they are real rubber balls, will be easy if you use paper balls.
    5) tie or stick them in circular card board along the galaxy.
    6) turn around the circular board so that the balls will hang down.
    7) Tie above and hang the solar system.
    8) worst case if you couldnt get balls, you can draw and cut circles in cardboard and hang them - make a 2-D craft instead of 3-D

I didnt get a prize though! :)

2. shobna

shobna Bronze IL'ite

Nice Ideas Tuffy shri! hats off to your artistic ideas of making waste materials into something useful

3. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for sharing tuffy shri.Nice & new ideas.

4. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Hai TS,

Best Brainy Blog without wasting not even a single line filled up with useful information.
    Thanks for sharing. Pls do share more my dear IL.

5. shashiv

shashiv Gold IL'ite

Dear TS,

Creative ideas on GO Green campaign. Every lines are valuable and useful for all. thanks for sharing.

Shanti

6. nandinimithun

nandinimithun IL Hall of Fame

hi tuffy

cute and innovative ideas there, well am sure many ILites have liked dis idea of creativity, so though u may not hav won in the contest, u have won here by sharing this here :)

They r very simple and creative, best part is those who have kids at home can teach these simple yet creative and beautiful art :)

7. nandinimithun

hi tuffy

cute and innovative ideas there, well am sure many ILites have liked dis idea of creativity, so though u may not hav won in the contest, u have won here by sharing this here :)

They r very simple and creative, best part is those who have kids at home can teach these simple yet creative and beautiful art :)

8. nandinimithun

hi tuffy

9. belgia

belgia New IL'ite

Hi Tuffy,

Its really wornderfuly idea for the easy craft. well i was looking for the Planetarium craft for my 6 years son.

thanks a lot dear

10. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

@shobna - thank you. Thanks for visiting and the appreciations :)
    @ambika - thank you :)
    @sreema - wow, what else do I need as an encouragement! am honoured. sure will post couple of them as and when I do the craft
    @sashi - thank you for the comment :)
    @nandi - yes sure... :) i do all these stuff along with my 4 year old. she often messes things but!