1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Best kind of cookware for Indian cooking

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by Riyasmommy, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Riyasmommy

Riyasmommy Silver IL'ite

Hi everyone, couldn't figure out where to post this since there didn't seem like a right place to post under "Kitchen & Household" and since I live in the US I thought I'll post here. Administrator please move to the right place. Thanks! :)

It's time for my kitchen to get some new sets of pots and pans and I have been doing some research and found three kinds that I am interested in

Hard Anodized Aluminium
    Stainless Steel
    Non stick (Teflon coating)

Not sure which ones are better. I understand they all have their pros and cons but for Indian cooking I want one that can withstand long cooking time and high heat and is durable. Not planning on using them in the dishwashers anyway.

Please help me in my decision process. Thanks! :)

2. cool09

cool09 Senior IL'ite

Hey Riyasmommy

I have the phillipe richard stainless steel collection which i bought from macys 2 years back..i love cooking in it.

Pros:

1.it is Stainless Steel..so no health hazards ..

2.It comes with lids for all the pots and pans so it is very useful for indian cooking.

3.Cleaning is a breeze . I put it in the dishwasher and it comes out sparkling clean since it is SS..

Cons:
    1.U cant cook in high heat .since it is SS you will get a charred coating at the bottom although it disappears after cleaning.I always use med-high or med heat.

one more thing i found that the handles get heated up when i put in the gas stove
    now that i have coil I dont find it happen .

Hope this helps.happy shopping:thumbsup

my kisses to Riya:)

here is the link
    http://www.amazon.com/Philippe-Richard-Stainless-Cookware-Set-Professional/dp/B0002S9M8G

3. pman16

pman16 Platinum IL'ite

I personally prefer non-stick for cooking purposes as cooking can be done in less oil and also is healthy. The daily curries (aloo,gobi,carrot etc) tastes good if done in less oil and if left on low flame, tastes crunchy also.

You can go for steel ones for serving purposes but again the downside is leftovers can be best stored in the fridge in glassware/plastic for reheating in microwave and steel will not serve the purpose here.