1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Best Exercise To Stay Toned And Fit??

Discussion in 'Keep Fit & Maintain Shape' started by anika987, Jan 14, 2017.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I have been advocated strength training and I do the same to others too.However,strength training in gym or home is boring.However,I do it religiously so as to stay toned.

I love to mix up Zumba,yoga etc..Howevet strength training always takes precedence.

dancers body,runners body etc so
    Many people say so many things.

Walking makes you lose weight but your body cannot be "toned" by that.

I am Not talking but weight loss but toning.not any extra flab.

Can you achieve a toned body not always by strength training but through yoga or Zumba coz I love only those two the best.

sbonigala and KashmirFlower like this.

2. KashmirFlower

KashmirFlower IL Hall of Fame

In yoga some are tough poses like some poses in surya namaskara where you use your own weight to strengthen your body , by putting your body weight on different parts of the body. You concentrate on each pose where your giving stress to body, and choose those poses which helps toning.

But with weights strengthening exercises show more toned muscles. As in this exercise all the time you are toning muscles where as in yoga toning is part of it for some poses.

You can ask your trainer they will know lot

anika987 likes this.
  3. generic

generic Gold IL'ite

In addition to above mentioned options, According to me , climbing stairs is also a good exercise and it doubles up as a cardio workout as well...

anika987 likes this.
  4. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Bodyweight training. Essentially same as weight training but using your body's own weight to work the muscles. This is the book I refer to - You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises: Mark Lauren, Joshua Clark

To be honest, I haven't applied myself to it, but I have seen people with incredible results. I'm just too lazy to create a program for myself. If you don't mind sharing what strength training routine are you following?

KashmirFlower likes this.
  5. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I do lot of burpees and upper body weight training one day.Cardio on treadmill/elliptical or skip rope only for 10 to 15 mts using high interval training.
    Next day I do lower body training with yoga,side toe touch,Russian twists,lunges ,leg lifts,jumping jacks etc etc.Also do Zumba and take two rest days a week.also do planks,side planks and many other things.some days run on treadmill.Do LISS some days.mix and match a lot

KashmirFlower likes this.
  6. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I did do some heavy lifting but stopped. It got in the way of my running. Zumba has a Zumba toning version which is done with weights. I used to love that. Try it. I used 5lbs weights for it and it really gave me some definition.

Yoga also helps building strength. In your practice concentrate on strength rather than flexibility. In my studio, the instructors are on me for holding my pose with strength(especially since they all know the running connection). I can hear choose strong over flexible multiple times during class.

Strong lifts 5X5 is what I have experience with. It's an awesome program. If I could give up on running long distances and stick to the 5k distance, I would continue strong lifts. You need a trainer who knows the program and helps you lift. Mine modified the program for me. I don't think I would do it alone even when I got the exercises down. The bench press is scary to do alone and my trainer was always on hand to make sure the weights didn't fall on me.
    And it doesn't make you muscular, just toned. The women developing muscles after heavy lifting happens only when it's a difficult lifting regimen followed by a very high protein, extra cals diet. Something that we will not do. Not after all the trouble we took to reduce cals.

KashmirFlower and anika987 like this.
  7. Jeevasaro

Jeevasaro Silver IL'ite

Hi,
    I highly recommend Hot yoga... It burns calories and as well to maintain our physic :)
    First its bit hard to cope up then u ll be fine..Try it once u ll be amazed :)

8. Aabha82

Aabha82 New IL'ite

Great Information from your experience. Thanks and stay healthy.

9. PanchrathnaGems

PanchrathnaGems New IL'ite

Every exercises which could be helpful to get toned and fit, only by the best and experienced trainer's advise. And when we get sweat, then our dead cells are removed, so that we could get toned and well fit in our external body shape.

10. Aabha82

Aabha82 New IL'ite

Plank and burpee one of the most powerful exercise