1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Best breastpump for working women in India?

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by megsmom, Nov 27, 2009.

1. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Just a note on what I heard - Automatic ones are better than manual and do the job in half the time. Hence, I am thinking of an electric one as I plan to either work from home or return to work. My only worry was the feeding bottles. Can the BPump and bottles be of different makes? If so, will transferring be a problem?
    I have kind of settled on Medela swing ass the reviews were good.

Waiting for other moms to give their thoughts.

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya, medela swing is indeed good, but u dont want to buy the mini electric. i hv seen it, SO loud! if u ever pump in office, m sure the entire staff wld know u are pumping... LOL

btw it is true that if u want to regularly pump, an electric is a better option for working moms :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wc3tIozVseA here it is medela mini, YUK

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  3. megsmom

megsmom New IL'ite

Thanks for your responses.

On reading other reviews of the Medela mini-electric I too figured out that it was loud. Hence decided against it. The Medela Swing seems to have good reviews.

I have ordered the Medela PISA from the US (quite expensive :(). Am hoping that I get an adapter for it in India and can use it everyday at work.

4. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya,Poonam,
    Even i found all electric ones soooooo louder enough to wake up kids. My manual Avent is calm and cool. But haan, takes time. I do slight massage with a warm washcloth before pumping and this helps the letdown faster. But otherwise its a tradeoff between time and noise factors in deciding on pumps i think.
    Megsmom,all the best:thumbsup

5. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

pon, the avent electric n even swing arent that noisy, but some reason the mini is :)

now i am wonderin if i should invest in a pump too, its embarrasing to feed in public,but how long can we store bm at room temp?

6. megsmom

megsmom New IL'ite

7. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

poonam, from what my doc said - at room temp, u can store expressed BM for 3-4 hours (if room is air conditioned). Else, if AC is not on all the time, you can express the BM, refrigerate it(thats what I do now). This way it will stay for 12 hours. When u want to feed, you can keep the milk inside a bowl of hot water (u cannot heat it directly) and then feed LO.

Hey can anyone clarify my doubt of BPump and associated bottles? Can they be of different brands?

8. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

ramya wat if we are traveling, like say a couple of hours in the car?

9. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Ramya,
    I think Vidyaa can help you better, we know she holds a medela pump. Bottle brand, transfering, et all she cud help exactly.

Vidyaaaaaaaaaa, busy mommy, we need your reply :))))))

10. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

Poonam,
    Reg nursing in public, you can go for some nursing shirts, remember krithika did mention in some other thread. Will dig out more. But just for this reason, are you game for pumping-storing-bottling-maintenance head-aches??? If you are planning to work and cant feed LO for 4-5hrs at a stretch, leaving her with MIL, then pumping is worth it.
    Am a SAHM, use pump
    1)when i face undersupply
    2)To express and feed DD, when she asks out for BM
    Otherwise pump is left unused :D
    When i go out, i feed LO exclusively, i personally wont invite the expressing-bottling trouble just for this reason :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2009