1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Benefits of Flax seeds ??

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by Sanjithra, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Sanjithra

Sanjithra Bronze IL'ite

Dear ILites...

Yesterday I had been to the nearest supermarket and found a packet of Flaxseeds. Till then, I had heard about them. Wanted to use, but as usual lack of initiative to search it..:hide:

I found the following in the Product description :

1.Controls Blood Sugar Level
    2.Builds Immunity
    3.Helps in reducing cholesterol
    4.Natural Laxative
    5.Helps in improving concentration levels
    6.Assists in weight loss
    7.Lowers Blood Pressure
    8.Helps in proper functioning of kidneys.
    9. Has Omega 3 fatty acids

My mom is working as a teacher(very strict...:) ) She has BP, cholesterol, Diabetes n Thyroid.... She is on medication for all these and Doctors have advised her to walk for atleast one hour and to do Pranayama (to reduce stress n tension)..

My question is "Flaxseeds" seem to be a all-in-one product which will reduce all the above mentioned problems.

Please give your valuable suggestions if you had used Flaxseeds and how frequently it should be taken?

Thanks in advance.... :)

2. harinisripada

harinisripada Gold IL'ite

Dear Sanjithra,

Check out WHfoods for the benefits of flax seeds - they will give facts not advts :)

Most of the above claims are right if used correctly with proper diet and exercise, but cant guarantee on improving concentration, immunity and weight loss :)

Reg how to cook and eat -

1) Never eat the seeds directly - they go in one way and come out the other without any change or absorption - no use at all ;-)

2) Lightly roast, grind the seeds and consume them - not more than 2tbsp per person per day - lesser if you face some stomach upset

3) Store the powdered flax seeds in the refrigerator if using more than 1-2 days

4) You can add to oats, breads, cakes, cookies

5) You can add to dry or wet curries after putting all the other masalas, in the last 5 mins, add the flax seed powder - the taste is a little new/odd, so start with small quantities as older people may not like it

6) I also add it to pachadis/chutneys that I will grind anyway - add a spoon of flax seeds to the tadka along with the red/green chillies and fry, then grind with the rest of the chutney recipe - the taste is not at all recognised in most of the chutneys i make

7) Make idli podi/curry powder with the flax seeds - i remember a chitvish recipe for idli podi, check it out- but better store the powder in the fridge

8) just add flax powder to raitha, milk, milkshakes, smoothies if you like the taste - again check chitvish

9) When you buy from market, better to buy seeds than powder because you can grind it fresh, the powder may be rancid and may have other ingredients for longer shelf life

10) Flax seed oil is also available (again store in fridge) but the taste is awful :-(

Let me know if u have questions

:)
    Harini

3. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

Hi Sanjithra,

Welcome to IL Health Forum. Harinisripada has already given you a deatiled list of how to use it.

I use it as a snack sometimes. Initially you will not find it good. You have to develop a taste for it. ;-)

4. amunique

amunique Gold IL'ite

flax seeds .. in tamil pls?? do they cause so much heat in the body?

5. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

6. samraa

samraa Bronze IL'ite

hi , does anyone know what flax seeds are called in telugu ?

7. mimur9

mimur9 IL Hall of Fame

8. pbakshaya

pbakshaya New IL'ite

Re: Flax seed name in various Indian languages

Hi Samaraa,

Falx seeds is called as avisalu in telugu. Even i prepared ada in flax seeds. It is good. As informed by other ILite you need to bring the taste for flax seeds. I prepared like dosa and spread onion on the top and give to children. they will like and it is very good for health. In T Nagar we are getting the flax seeds. Upto 5 kg is Rs.90/-. it was really good. You can prepare like chutney for dosa, idly and also like parupu podi mix it with rice and ghee it tastes good.

Priya

9. Sanjithra

Sanjithra Bronze IL'ite

Hi Harini...

Thank u so much for ur valuable inputs... I had bought the powdered Flax Seeds available in Nilgiris and was having it with Hot water..

But, from your post I understand that we may not derive maximum benefits that way.. I will try to get it as seeds and use as mentioned here...

Thanks again..

10. rashmii

rashmii Bronze IL'ite

hi,

As suggested by other IL's it is useful if consumed in lesser proportion.Mainly the seeds have to roasted very lightly and powdered. It goes rancid very soon, so you need to store in the refrigerator.

It is very good as a laxative as it has dietary fibre.If one suffers from constipation problem you can have it along with lots of water.I have been using this from past one year .

regards
    rashmii