Beliefs in the North and South - Regional Variations

Discussion in 'Madhya Pradesh' started by satchitananda, Jul 26, 2012.

1. Priya4oct

Priya4oct Gold IL'ite

Hey Satchi,

Nice thread...Let me start wedding rituals from my native.I am basically from M.P (MP-UP border). Below are the rituals we perform during wedding or prior to wedding.

1. Once the wedding gets fixed, we used to have Bariksha (brides brother and elders from family will visit to groom's place and will give gifts to groom and family) and Oli Bharai (for bride, elders from groom's family come to girl's house and give some gifts to girl). These two rituals are considered as engagement/commitment of marriage.
    At our place, very less people used to have ring ceremony.

2. On same day , Tilak and marriage date gets fixed. It can be after 1 mnth or 1 year.

3.Tilak - This is starting of marriage ceremony.Brides Family visit to Groom and again gift :( . This is the ritual where dowry gets started.

4. On Marriage - we used to have full night marriage ...approx 12 hours . In between of marriage we performlots of rituals at both side. marriage starts from-

1. DwarPooja - Father of girl will perform this with Groom (approx 2 hours)
    2. Jaimala (exchanging of garlands) - Like every one. Earlier it was not happening but now people started from last 3-4 years

3. Chadhao (1-1.5) hours - Inbetween of this girl has to change her Saree and will wear Saree came from in-laws. F-I-L will give all the accessories to girl.
    4. Var Parayan - 30 min -Bride's parent will go and welcome Groom, will wash his feet (I don't like this) .
    5. Fere and Sindoor daan (Byah) - This is main marriage which used to be of around 4-5 hours depends on bride's family .In my and s-i-l case it got started at 2 night and ended at around 9 morning .Just imagine our situation..sitting straight with covered face.No major movement :(
    After byah, bride and groom will change dress and will have some snacks/tea for few min. Then they will be back for Aanjuri (same as Byah, around 2-3 hours depends on bride's family size)

6.Now final is Vidai (one of the saddest moment) and reach your I-Ls place. After reaching I-Ls place ..few more rituals for full day..it means no sleep,no rest....

1 person likes this.
  2. sushmasrivastav

sushmasrivastav Bronze IL'ite

Hi Satchitananda
    This is with reference to your query regarding the pheras. In some communities, the bride leads the groom for the first 3 rounds and the groom leads the bride from the 4th round onwards. It is said that the first 3 rounds represent Dharma ( Right -Wrong) , Artha (Money) and Kama and in these pheras the bride leads the groom. The 4th phera stands for Moksha (Salvation). The groom leads his bride towards salvation.

1 person likes this.
  3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot for the info Sushma. :-D

4. parvathi1980

parvathi1980 Platinum IL'ite

Yes it is. Me a north Indian...and this is not acceptable:)

1 person likes this.
  5. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Makes a lot of sense Parvathi. Perfect genetic sense.