Beliefs in the North and South - Regional Variations

Discussion in 'Madhya Pradesh' started by satchitananda, Jul 26, 2012.

1. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

satchi, samething happened in our house , my little girl dropped the kumkum box on one friday and i was very much scared and the next minute i called my friend and asked her is that anything bad will happen???????she said no nothing bad but you will hear a good news very soon........yeah she was right, with in two days of this incident my MIL called us and told that my BIL's marraige has been fixed.........i was realy shocked.........

4 people like this.
  2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Wow, so you had practical experience of the belief. :-D

1 person likes this.
  3. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

i can't forget such incidents........

4. aashuabhi

aashuabhi Gold IL'ite

In north people don't purchase new things usually as its not considered good day but here in south saturday is considered very auspicious as its day of Hanuman ( in north tuesday is day of hanuman )

1 person likes this.
  5. pranatim

pranatim Platinum IL'ite

Satchi dear very nice thread. My personal experience I am going to share with you. We keep left feet while entering temple here in south they keep right feet. We feel bad omen if milk spills on the gas stove where as here its good omen. If your right eye shakes its good and left bad for us left good and right bad. So whenever milk spills I console myself that I am in south india so good things will happen. Also when the things happen to my eyes. So its all about beliefs dear.

1 person likes this.
  6. pinky6

pinky6 Platinum IL'ite

am from south india but we still don't do any new things on saturdays........

7. fencesitter

fencesitter Platinum IL'ite

wedding rituals take place in night time in north and in south its usually in the morning and pre-noon time. In South, i guess except kerala, marraige between maternal and paternal cousins are common where as in north its not accepted.

2 people like this.
  8. aashuabhi

aashuabhi Gold IL'ite

Oh.. is it?? because my MIL is from bangalore and she once said that saturday is good day.. though we never purchased anything big till date on saturday ( me being northie :hide:)

9. AkilaMani

AkilaMani Local Champion Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

In south, saturday is the day for Lord Perumal, but still nothing new is started or new things bought on that day.

Also in south tuesday is not considered a good day to begin things, while in north i understand it is considered an auspicious day. I really marvel at the huge diversity we have.

Yes, kumkum spilling in south considered a good sign, where they say a marriage will soon occur in the family. Also spilling of chandanam (sandal/chandan) is considered good, as they say a girl child of eligible age in the family will soon attain puberty.

Breaking glass is considered bad in south, surprised to know that it is considered luck. Indeed, our country and culture is diverse in beliefs and customs :) so nice to learn a lot on this thread :)

sindmani, pinky6 and satchitananda like this.
  10. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Dear satchi
    Good thread... many superstitious things are believed at my home to but I dont believe them at the same time I couldnt convince as well so this different beliefs come as relief :ideafor me to pass and say everything is good :cheers...

Saturday is considered good for few and not good for others purely based on individual horoscope:coffee...

2 people like this.