1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Being Pushed To Change From Maiden To Married Name

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by icanniwill, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Cutie1991

Cutie1991 Senior IL'ite

This is the exact situation I am in right now. I am not in India and there are so many unknowns that I dont want to get my name changed. I see soo many women around me keeping their maiden name that it surprises me who are these people my in-laws keep talking to who want me to change my name? And why is their wish given more importance than my wish?????

Thank you all for your advice!!

pinkgal likes this.
  2. Dishaa

Dishaa Gold IL'ite

Hi,

Similar case even I faced after my marriage, you can go for this type
    1. Make an add on in my surname like " your first name ; parents surname and in laws surname" all you have to just give a self attested marriage certificate for banking transactions and office work - same thing I did.
    2. For doing name change in your education / passport / pan card / Driving Licence etc is a very tedious with lots of documentations and time consuming too - I would suggest, you better do the research ensure your husband accompany with you for all the office / paper / legal work.
    • It will also be difficult for him to always take leaves or half days from his office.
    • If he tries to involve his parents (your in laws) you can always excuse saying that you don't want to bother them during their old age (that way you will be in good books of both your husband and your in laws and also your parents will also not be involved much in this).
    Best Regards,

3. blessings1010

blessings1010 Gold IL'ite

I am strange. I want to change or add my hubby's surname to mine.
    In my family, from both sides, no one ever thought about changing my maiden name. When my PP was about to expire, I thought of changing the surname for a brief time. But the whole research itself about change in name on PP, Visa, SSN, PAN Card, DLs, GC was so tiring that I ignored it totally.
    I just added my hubby's name in the new passport. For investment purposes, no one ever will ask you to change your surname. A certified Marriage Certificate works always- well until the marriage is in force :blush:. This is good for investment in land, houses, shares, bank savings- you name it. Just make sure to attach your marriage certificate.
    Here in USA, no one has asked me for it for our joint investments.
    But if you ever want to start the process, there are name change kits available for every state. Generally, SSN is the first place to change the name. There you need just your current ID and marriage certificate. Once it is done, then go for DL, PP, BANKS, Titles ( home, autos etc), Insurance and LOANS. IF you are in the GC process, waiting makes sense.