1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Behind Every Successful Man ….. Every Sunset Follows A Sunrise.

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Thyagarajan, Oct 10, 2017.

1. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello: On a full moon Saturday, after late lavish dinner, while walking back to lodge via moon-lit cemetery, budding nuclear scientist Kalpathri suddenly commented, he had never visited a cemetery. He complained about something lodged in a crevice around wisdom tooth. Despite picking it for long with a safety pin, he was still at it. Fatigued I was, sleep embraced me.

Next morning too, Kalpathri was found picking his teeth with safety-pin. I suggested that it could be dangerous and he should instead immediately go to Doctor. He thought I was silly!

Spending week end with relative of mine, Monday early morning I returned in hurry to room only to find Kalpathri was still on bed staring at the roof, his jaws locked and face turned bluish. I saw safety pin at the corner of the table, with its open end tad rusty. . In the next 15 minutes, I managed to shift Kalpathri to nearby government hospital. A saree clad doctor with emblematic white coat and a dangling stethoscope on hand, examined and ordered Kalpathri shifted to ICU.

Blood test results came after an hour revealing Iron-oxide contamination in blood. ICU in-charge told me that Kalpathri was critical; needs to be given every 4 hour a shot at least 6 times to bring his condition to normal and told to get atleast six ampoules of an imported rare medicine.

A stocky cabby standing earshot overheard medicine name, offered to help and introduced himself as Sukveer Singh. From hospital payphone, in accented Hindi, he spoke calmly to someone. Few moments later, the stranger said a man would bring and deliver 3 ampoules with invoice to the reception in about an hour. I checked in nearby shops but to no avail. Sukveer exited giving me a telephone number for follow-up. In the meanwhile, the senior doctor advised to try multiple sources.

Reputed pharmacies all over city were contacted in vain. I rang up from a payphone my friend GBS in civil aviation in Air Traffic Control (ATC). I briefed him about urgency and the requirement. He told to contact him again after an hour or so. I informed my boss at the plant that I was caught with a problem and might attend after few hours.

A man approached the reception mentioning Kalpathri’s name showing invoice of Sahib Singh Company for 3 ampoules. I collected the invoice and the carton containing three ampoules and paid the cost. ICU Doctor’s face seemed lit up, when the carton of ampoules handed over to him. First shot administered at 11 a.m.

For another three ampoules, I spoke again to my friend’s brother in law GBS. He said three ampoules arranged and it would be brought and delivered by a Captain of Indian Airline evening flight that was expected ex-Madras by 8 and I could arrange collection from ATC office. I left to the plant close to the Local air port. I was busy at the plant till 7. GBS had telexed plant office, confirming flight would be sighted (ETS) around 1945hrs.

I heard of an aircraft booming over, when I reached by stairs the ATC at second floor. Behind a glass partition, I could see GBS removing his headset and a flight touchdown. After 5 minutes, I heard approaching footsteps. It was a lanky pilot. GBS came out shook hands with pilot and introduced me. After hand-shake, he handed over the packet. I thanked them. I offered to pay the cost but GBS said it was his contribution. It was around 9, when I drove back to hospital. Fourth shot was due around 11.30 P.M.

Doctor sauntered from ICU toward me with a smiling face, told Kalpathri showing rapid progress and the shots were efficacious. I handed over to Doctor the packet of 3 ampoules. I went into ICU, had a sigh of relief. Kalpathri’s face was looking natural and he winked softly at me!

Next morning I was boarding a train for New Delhi as per transfer order and moving out on promotion. Three decades later, received a call from USA “hello is it Thyagrajan? I am Kalpathri from NASA”. It was a full moon day.

Sandyr46, Maayon, Star25 and 15 others like this.

2. venlax

venlax Silver IL'ite

Very touching. A future scientist saved by ur spontaneous efforts of humanity extended by others also.Also a lesson for some people who are mostly seen with a pin in their hands digging the teeth.Another point in this is having an eye on others now & then like room mates, family members so that any change in their behavior,routine can at once be detected.
    " The woods are lovely ,dark & deep but i have promises to keep & miles to go before i sleep"

3. Thyagarajan

:hello:May I thank you for summing up succinctly from the bottom of my heart. As I read your feedback, I couldn't help tears gathering in eyes. It happened when I, as a bachelor, stayed in erstwhile Bombay in 70s. God Bless Us All. regards.

kaniths and GeetaKashyap like this.
  4. joylokhi

joylokhi Platinum IL'ite

A lesson in your snippet for everyone! A quick step in time has saved your friend. When i read the last line - receiving the call after three decades, i really felt emotional. Can imagine how thankful you would have felt too.
    Very well narrated too:)

5. Thyagarajan

:hello:with your comments ibid, You have put me in absolute delight and goose-pimples all over. Thank You . Regards. God Bless Us All.

GeetaKashyap likes this.
  6. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Thyagarajan,
    God gives us the opportunity to help someone in a life threatening situation.
    In our life also we got this opportunity thrice, twice knowingly and once unknowingly.

PS

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017
    Thyagarajan likes this.
  7. PushpavalliSrinivasan

PushpavalliSrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mr Thyagarajan,
    God gives us the opportunity to help someone in a life threatening situation.
    In our life we too have got the opportunity.
    Thanks for sharing,
    PS

8. Thyagarajan

:hello:Thank You. It is quite true that essentially every Opportunity is God given.
    2.With this realisation, if approaches are made, the result is bound to always remain positive, fruitful, productive and even spread and share happiness all around.
    3.It would be nice to imagine, Lord (Sri Rama) from his Snake-Bed(Lakshmana) surrounded by milky ocean, winking and propagating waves of opportunities all across the cosmos and most of the species including humans are supposed to be benefitted by that. (Rama & Lakshmana - the inseparables)
    Regards. God Bless Us All.

9. Thyagarajan

:hello:@sindmani Thanks for pressing the LIKE. will be more glad if you could give feedback.
    Regards.:hello:
    God Bless Us All always.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2018
  10. iyerviji

iyerviji Finest Post Winner

Your post shows that you have a heart to help people. Glad he was saved. Can imagine how happy you must have been when he got well and alsowhen you received the phone call. With your narration could imagine the scene

Thyagarajan likes this.