1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Beginnning to teach a toddler!

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by sunitha, Mar 30, 2006.

1. Shilpa77

Shilpa77 Senior IL'ite

Re: Sometimes kids are overburdened!

Believe me , i feel the same. It is a competitive world and the future generation has to be multi-talented.

I first prepared myself for 2 things, 1. not to impose my aspirations on her like ( " i want my daughter to become a ------"), instead i prep her.. rather groom her by triggering her interests to analyze her capacities vs the society demands

Yes, my child also "attends" to full-time day care, all the above mentioned classes and she's only 4 years old. Now, I don't boast about this and i'm not doing this beacuse of peer pressure!!..

All this is done @ home.. There cannot be a better person than a mom to do all these.
    I've also heard people say" oh.. she/he does not listen to me or sit with me to do it.."..
    A very unacceptable comment to me!!

Parenting is a challenging art, everyone is a first time parent and it is all trial and error method!!..

Children need variety, they get bored to do the same thing at schduled days over and over again..

There are so many online programs available for math & english - sign up your child for them, you can set a schedule. saves you time , money. You can cook and teach your child at the same time. Just 1/2 to 1 hour a day is enough.

Next day, read a book, most kids know internet now..teach them how to log in and read a story, do a drwaing with paint feature in the windows, listen to music..

3rd day, teach them your mother tongue, or Hindi- a coomon laguage to commnicate with others.. Don't send them to hindi classes. If you donno Hindi, buy the basic elementary books and learn as u teach her..

May be when kid get older say about 8-11 you can enroll them for the regular classes.

4th day, teach slokam bhajans, your prayers. Now, dont take a class, you sing-along with them. They might not do it for a couple of times when you start, but as it becomes a daily habit, they will pick it up..

Day 5, play a game - they need to know winning and losing has to taken in the stride but teach them to be competitive. Some kids cannot accept failure and some others are not competitive..

So, if they win, make their game tougher, if they lose, teach them how to win!!.

Saturday - Do an outside activity.. Anything they might interest them., a play date,. a skating, swimming class, shopping! - do something different.

"Sunday - stay home day" - as my daughter calls it. Stay home, have a good family lunch, family movie time, family dinner and a good shower and day time nap - they need these more along with all the above mentioned to be better human tomorrow

It doesn't have to be the same schedule every week you can change to your discretion, but PLAN IT OUT and be consistent in what you do.. don't stress out on it..

Don't quote me on these. I'm not 100% perfect in doing these, but i do to an extent where i do not feel guilty at the end of the day.!!..

All these tips are for kids between the age group 3-6.

Try it all toddler/s moms and let me know if this post was of any use to you..

Shilpa

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

i second Sunitha:) but our education system is so pressurising... what can the poor parents do? after all we all want the best for our kids! Latha

3. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear Shilpa

My son is now 5 and goes to full day school.When he comes back,I spend about 1/2 hr to 1 hr with him on week-days going thru' whatever he did in school. I like to revise once he returns from school and that is it.He brings a library book home every fortnight and reads it once in a while,which his school insists on.Further ,he has homework every Monday which he can do the whole week and return the next Monday.For a 5 yr old,I think this is enough.On weekends,I let him free,no hassles.Yes,he knows how to use the computer all by himself from the age of 3 1/2 and occasionally sits and does some puzzles or games in some kids related websites.I believe that if a child shows interest in something,we should help the child to do it,but if he does not show interest,we should not push him towards it.For eg,we did the mistake of trying to teach him how to swim at 3 1/2 because we heard that other Indian parents were doing the same.After 1 month of trying,we just gave up because he was least interested in it.

4. Shilpa77

Shilpa77 Senior IL'ite

I agree with you Sunitha.. What you do is considerably enough unless the child is extremely energetic to involve them in other activities. Sometime that makes the children tired too..

My earlier post was for moms who think that their child "should" be doing this because other kids are..

Its funny because, there is a residential community where majority are indians and "all" - (no exaggeration here) parents send their kids to Kumon.

and you know what , they tell me " en ponnu Kumon pora, nee Sahana va Kumon seru, romba useful a irukku!", now that i'm not doing it, she's curious to know why..

the answer being very simple..

They all do it because the other is doing it.. hmm.very silly!!,

Shilpa

5. susri

susri Silver IL'ite

Re: Sometimes kids are overburdened!

Hi Shilpa,
    I am also doing most of the things you have mentioned in your previous post. I also got some tips from you. Thanks for your post.

6. babyraji

babyraji Silver IL'ite

Hi Shilpa,
    really very gd tips ,being a mother of a little angel of 2 1/2 yrs iam all set 2 go now.i can c tht with all this my bond with my daughter will b more close n swt.
    thanks
    raji

7. Marikeerthi

Marikeerthi Bronze IL'ite

hi shilpa,

I liked your approach to kids. Its true many parents are forcing thier kids because of the society. My daughter who is 2 years is interrested in rythms and is very active throught out the day. She is interrested to read many books. I just take her library she enjoys more being there. So till now i have not forced her to do anything. I feel rather than forcing we can let the kids learn by themselves.

by
    keerthi

8. SupriyaDinesh

SupriyaDinesh Silver IL'ite

Hi Mommies,
    I found this thread recently.I can co-relate every word by Sunitha.The recent India trip drove me crazy because of the comparisons made b/w my son and my cousins.Age diff is 3 months.I feel in India they want children to be like answering machines.It took a month for my son to get adjusted to the new place and time change.He was bewildered to see relatives talking aload.He was quiet on cing everyone.He clung to me.Every one concluded that i have brought up my kid as a dumb.. :hide:..but he is not so_One of my uncle told "he doesnt know how to wave his hand.." Witsend.. u dint teach him anything.. I wanted to scream "pls leave my child alone" . He waves his hand only when we go out.But they want him to do whenever we ask him to do..He speaks enough for his age,understands what we say and responds and extremely naughty and active.
    I find my sis keeping on n telling abt her child's progress.Its not wrong but there are lot of other things to talk too.I dread talking to her.I dont feel like telling all my son's achievements to every one..This peer pressure exists every where and its really bad.Let a child be a child..y dump all into their little brains..

Im just venting here...

9. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dear sunitha

nice thread and shilpa very good tips frm ur side..i pity these days children who are under tremendous pressure because of the competitive world...just coz the other parents want their children to excel in everything we also force our children into sumthing....i wun blame the parents or the children....we just need to decide what our child likes the best and try to put him or her in that....if we put in our children in sumthing they enjoy then the output wud be 200 %....so now its time for us parents to put on our thinking caps and find out what wud be more interesting for our lil ones???:hide:

10. sowminivibu

sowminivibu Silver IL'ite

dear sunitha

nice thread and shilpa very good tips frm ur side..i pity these days children who are under tremendous pressure because of the competitive world...just coz the other parents want their children to excel in everything we also force our children into sumthing....i wun blame the parents or the children....we just need to decide what our child likes the best and try to put him or her in that....if we put in our children in sumthing they enjoy then the output wud be 200 %....so now its time for us parents to put on our thinking caps and find out what wud be more interesting for our lil ones???:hide:

lov
    sowmi