1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Beginner's plants

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by polymorphic, Mar 24, 2012.

1. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Hi All,

Planning to start gardening this spring. Can you please tell plant which will grow well outdoors and indoors. I want to keep aloe-vera plant. But dont know where it will be available. Since iam in US want to know where to get these plants. Walmart? Lowes? Or local farm market? Thanks

2. skmeera

skmeera Silver IL'ite

hi poly,

am a beginner too...not too sure of what plants grow indoors or outdoors....But the seed packets give you a general idea of whether indoor or outdoor.
    you can find plants , seeds in home depot....Also variety of soil,fertilizers, flower pots (u get it in michaels too , dollar stores have smaller plastic pots but obviously cheap solutions)..
    Ikea too has decorative indoor plants and pots.
    Dollar stores also had seeds last week, and they are sold only seasonally.

3. mohana

mohana Silver IL'ite

If you have Shoprite chain stores ,look at there for aloe vera plant.

4. RagaPrasanna

RagaPrasanna Platinum IL'ite

I bought Aloe Vera plant from Ikea.

5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

I have bought my aloe vera in kroger! Also, poly if you want to start gardening, could you thrown some of your specifications like - is it on your patio, in a flower bed etc and I am sure suggestions will start pouring in!

As for indoor plants, I have money plants, some indoor dwarf palms, peace lily, a couple of orchids, rubber plant. I am not sure what you are looking for, howw much space to fill and what kind of plants you like. So do tell us more!

6. polymorphic

polymorphic Platinum IL'ite

Thanks for the inputs. I have a small backyard which gets lots of sunlight in the morning upto mid afternoon. The soil seems to be a bit black color and the lawn is not in good condition.
    I will look for aloe plant in shoprite but it think its like a cactus like so is it indoor or outdoor plant? I have heard its soothing for cuts and bruises.
    Can you be specific which plants - whether already potted or is it better to start with seeds? flowering or veggies?

7. freesia

freesia Bronze IL'ite

If you are a beginner , you can start with starter plants sold in stores. The plant care information will be there on the plant pot itself. You can browse and pick the one that are suited to your garden. You can try vegetable too, so much fun to pick the yeild.

8. pdarshini

pdarshini Silver IL'ite

Hey this is my first time gardening too.I have planted some methi seeds and corinader seeds in used aluminium foil trays...Methi seeds took about 3 days to germinate...I planted last sunday...now they are 3 inches long...Coriander seeds takes one week to develop roots...I planted tomatoes seeds and some flower seeds(aster,petunia,morning glory) bought in dollar store..they are yet to germinate after 3 weeks,so waiting.I have used miracle gro soil bought from home depo...Last week bought soil from dollar store...that too worked fine....I planted some pudina stalks in pot...but no growth yet...they dried....but had put some stalks in water for a week...so only some stalks had developed roots...so I transplanted them to small pots...have to see whether they survive or not...I collected some riped green chillies...have to plant the seeds...you can try that....Aloe vera doesnot need much water to grow...it has many good effects....

1 person likes this.
  9. sillybirdie

sillybirdie Senior IL'ite

Hi all

I live in an apartment in Maryland and I want to start vegetable garden in my balcony. I am very new to gardening. Never had a plant before. Not a lot of plants but some easy to maintain plants that don't require a lot of space. I was thinking of curry leaves plant, peppers(pachi mirapakayi), brinjal plant. Are these plants easy to grow if yes can you give me suggestions on where to find them , how to care for them etc.. If these are not the easy plants then can anyone suggest me what plants to grow ,containers,soils fertlisers..etc.etc.. where to buy.. that meet my requirements of less space and easy to maintain..

10. pdarshini

pdarshini Silver IL'ite

Pudina,chilli,coriander,methi and spring onion plants

Attached Files:

5 people like this.