1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Because We Are Chinese

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by sojourner, May 8, 2011.

1. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

In the university in our small town in the U.S. midwest, there is a Chinese professor. His field of study is adaptation of different cultures to America. He has a standard speech, in which he tells several stories -- my children and I have heard this speech multiple times.

His father never went to school even a single day. Yet, if the son brought home a grade less than an A, the dad would say,

"I never got a grade less than an A" :)

In that culture (which was Taiwan), you never challenge your parents. You simply cannot ask,

"How could you have gotten only A's if you never went to school?"

The Chinese professor had strict rules for his own children. [The Chinese are the most successful ethnic group in America. If admission to Harvard Medical School is based strictly on numbers and no other considerations, on most years, the incoming class would be 100% Chinese females. There is also the funny youtube parody of a Chinese kid getting a B+.] If they ask,

"Why can't we do this? All my friends are allowed to do this."

his answer would be,

"Because we are Chinese." My kids and I got a big chuckle out of this. Once, they asked me,

"Philip and Catherine are allowed to do this. Why can't we do this?"

I was of course, ready. My answer was,

"Because we are Chinese?"

They started laughing too hard to press their case. [Catherine is the one mentioned here.]

Note:

The YouTube link mentioned above has been watched more than 5 million times. I did not provide a clickable link to it because some of the links "suggested" from it are in quite poor taste.

2. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

..>>>> "Why can't we do this? All my friends are allowed to do this."

his answer would be,

"Because we are Chinese."

[​IMG]

My dd is interested in learning to make dolls with modelling clay. She goes to the hobby class every saturday. Once a chinese boy (just around 5/6 years old) refused to enter the class becos he did not want an indian inside...god knows the reason for that hatred... my dd felt very hurt and embarassed and she looked at me....i did not know how to react and i looked at the teacher .... There were a few indonesian kids in the class room but he did not want the indian there.

But the indonesian teacher insisted that my dd stay back in the class and requested the boy to enter... No way... he replied he would attend classes outside. So the teacher had to go outside every 10 minutes or so to teach him.

Not all are like that becos my son has a few chinese friends and he takes my non veg dishes for them as they like the indian version. He says they are happy when i send extra food for them on every monday.

3. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Sunitha:

I am assuming that you have posted a link to an image. Obviously there is some sort of a problem with it.

4. mssunitha2001

mssunitha2001 IL Hall of Fame

thank you for letting me know about it....sorry...

I have re-posted and added my comments too....

5. tuffyshri

tuffyshri Gold IL'ite

good one!! you are very witty. sure your friends and family will be happy to be around you.

6. sreemanavaneeth

sreemanavaneeth Gold IL'ite

Very nice sojo. I enjoyed it fully.

7. sojourner

sojourner Silver IL'ite

Sunitha:

Thanks for fixing the link. I am sorry that your daughter had this unpleasant experience in the clay modeling class.