Beautiful Words The English Language Should Steal

Discussion in 'Education & Personal Growth' started by Rihana, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

28 Beautiful Words The English Language Should Steal

That's a list of 28 beautiful words that are worth stealing and adding to the English language, asserts the author. I agree.

The list starts with a word from our very own Sanskrit: mudita
    Such a lovely word, just saying it aloud brings joy. Makes you want to hijack the proceedings at the nearest girl-baby naming ceremony and have them name her mudita.

Imagine discussing mudita's exact meaning with a logophile or a logomaniac friend over chai. Or, in the busy times we live in, over the phone. Not arriving at a mutually agreeable meaning and having that discussion again sometime.

1. Pick your favorite from that list. Share it here.

2. Do you have a word from another language to add to that list?

3. Or a feeling, a thought, a notion that deserves a word of its own- do share, we might coin a word for it, and when it joins the Oxford Dictionary, we can say it all started here.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017

2. SCSusila

SCSusila Gold IL'ite

I like GIGIL . Brings to mind a giggling little child . And we always want to caress a happy child's cheek !

satchitananda and Rihana like this.
  3. PriyaSrini

PriyaSrini Moderator Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

My favourite new word is "fernweh " .... it almost sounds like fun just w...waiting to happen

4. Rihana

I like 'sobremesa' - the time you keep talking with friends or family at the table after the lunch or dinner has ended.

Which makes me wonder how often do we make the time for such talk. I am happy to report to myself that quite often. Perhaps most of the family using spoon/fork to eat makes that easier.

My most favorite memories of parties or meeting people at their house/our house is the long conversations over the "eating is over but not-yet-cleared table." My least favorite is the one where the hostess had to immediately clear up the table or serving area, and tell us to go to living/family room, and continue the warm conversations and confessions that were spilling and pouring over. Almost always, the moment was lost, and conversation languished like a ceiling fan that auto-switched to slower speed.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    SunPa, Shanvy, Srama and 1 other person like this.
  5. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Then you will love my home - this happens every single time and after I bid a goodnight/bye to my guests and walk back in, look at the table, smile happily, turn the lights off and go to bed!

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

@Rihana Happens at home a lot and only the drying plate and fingers remind you that you need to move from the table. I miss those times.

7. Rihana

Srama and Shanvy, please to pick your favorite word each from the list too. Or, one will be assigned. : )

8. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

"Mangata" - Sounds like a game but described as a Moon's reflection like a road in the water.

Rihana likes this.
  9. Rihana

It does sound like Mancala (strategy based board game played with seeds, stones or beans).

Viswamitra likes this.
  10. creativemumma

creativemumma Gold IL'ite

I like the word "Goya" which is sounding similar to Khoya something like we are lost and here the meaning also conveys the same.When we are so engrossed and travelling along with a story, we feel everything that is currently happening in the story.
    Generally i would be lost in the same location of the happenings in the book, eating what the characters eat and enjoying the same climate. My mom used to call me at least 4 times to make me come out of the trance.

Good old book reading days:sleepy::sleepy::sleepy::crybaby2: Its been years i have read something

Rihana likes this.