Beat “thermos” For Kids Hot Lunches?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by anika987, Sep 23, 2019.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My kid hates taking food from home and says it’s very cold..can you guys suggest some thermos brand which keep food hot? Checked some in amazon.
    Can you provide me the link and I can order?it would be helpful.Thank you

KashmirFlower likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Thermos Funtainer. You can order from Amazon, Target etc and it comes in a wide variety of colors so your child can choose. Make sure she can open it by herself. To keep food really warm fill the Thermos with very hot water, let it sit for 15-20 mins, dump out and then pack the food.

3. Laks09

Laks09 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The Omie Bento Boxes are highly rated. There are FB groups that discuss kids lunches in detail and these come up often for the thermos variety. Also look up FB for reviews.

4. startinganew

startinganew Gold IL'ite

I've used the Thermos funtainer for a year at least now and we love it. We take it everywhere - even on trips. When kid is not hungry and the rest of us are eating, I'll pack kid's share in the thermos.

Yes, opening it becomes an issue when the food is kept really hot and the steam causes it to get seal tight. I went to a park once with the kid and actually rushed back home when it was time to eat - since I couldn't open it. Luckily had other snacks to keep super hungry kid calm till we got back home right away.

I've now got Cello thermos lunch boxes from India. It's stainless steel inside and outside and comes with a nice handle on top to open it easily. I like it better because (1) you can see the food visually as it is more wide than deep (2) and it has a small compartment to keep sides you don't want to mix with the main meal and still want to keep warm.

KashmirFlower likes this.
  5. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

The "more wide than deep" reminded me - the chairs/desks used in classrooms are appropriate for the average height of children in that grade. At lunch time, they sit on regular height cafeteria table. They stagger the lunch times by grades. Younger child might find it hard to use a spoon and dig into a deep thermos while seated at a cafeteria table.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2019
    startinganew and KashmirFlower like this.