1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Be Open, Surrender And Let Go!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Srama, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear V sir,

Thank you for your feedback and words of appreciation as always. It is amazing to know that you have a habit of writing 'anbu' in the air when your mind wanders. For me skipping counting usually alerts my mind that it has wandered and draws it back to the present! Oh boy! I need stairs all the time at least one, to stay in the present :biggrin:. The truth is we all need coping mechanisms and have it as well. It is just that we should be able to draw them when we need them. I think that is where the work lies, honestly!

Talk about spinning, this morning at 5.30 am when I saw my instructor on her bike take off with such gusto, I knew we were done for the day! What an amazing energy at that hour. How can I not feel alive after such a class? Mind stays still other than telling my self 'you got this'! Reading you every now and then about your son, I have no doubt he has turned out be a fine young man and you have done such a good job. Right now, as I look heavenward my eyes are on orion telling me cooler weather is here! I love it!

It is kind of strange you should say this,

just this morning I was thinking that my weight does not fluctuate at all no matter what - i have attained that equanimity, a state of 'sthithaprajna' there but dang it when it comes to that mind!! But this physical work out gives that quietness to the mind for a few minutes at least! And that is where I can surrender.

Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
    Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  2. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Thanks a lot @Gauri03 and @Viswamitra for your like. Your likes gives a great value to my post

Srama and Rihana like this.
  3. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Sabita,
    I have the habit of making words from a bigger word.... Test how many can I make. Another habit..... Sometime back when so many apartments were not there, more independent houses.... While walking, after seeing the exterior of the building, make a guess work of how the plan would be inside. Crazy.... Isn't it? But after seeing USA, UK and now India..... All houses more or less same plan inside. Not much diversity. In India independent houses are still diverse.
    I like your students and their thinking. Cute they are in their expression!
    I think nobody can surrender with a closed heart. With an open heart only we can surrender.... Even before God!!!
    Syamala

kkrish and Srama like this.
  4. Rihana

Rihana Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

I count stairs too. : ) When Thing2 was younger and asked why I count the stairs, I used to give him the glare and say, "it started when you were refusing to pop out on the promised date. and settled down with your toes poking my ribs. so, to go upstairs i used to count how many more stairs left..." : ) Partly true. : ) Somehow I feel like your stairs counting is so organic, pure and has the innocence of a quaint mom and pop store, while mine is so corrupted and Costco-on-thanksgiving. LOL.

I do that on license plates too (all of them, not just the vanity/custom ones)... but again for a more pedestrian reason. Mortifies me to present the reason, but here goes: I often read how alert passersby noted down the license plate of a car that had kidnapped a child etc... and that helped police, so I try to remember license plates, or at least the first 4 characters. : )

Nice.

Your snippets bring out the best in me as an observer of life and its beauty and bounty, @Srama. For a day or two after reading them, I have a no-reason smile as I go about life, driving etc. I look at the trees and grass in my front yard differently. And also once again make the resolution to write some long-pending-in-the-mind snippets.

kkrish, Thyagarajan, peddadas and 2 others like this.
  5. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

@Rihana

Repeat after me in the old style legalese:

"Notwithstanding anything contained in the above snippet and all supporting responses, I hereby solemnly declare that I would make the best possible effort to convert my resolution to write a snippet (past) into action (now)".

Or Repeat after me in the new style:

#Just do it.

If you don't repeat after me, you will face the maximum permissible penalty allowed for the associated crime, to read my next snippet titled "How to convert resolutions into actions?"

Viswa

Thyagarajan, Srama and Rihana like this.
  6. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Syamala,

Thank you for your feedback! I love that guessing work you do - fascinating! One of the things I like to do is watch people plan in IKEA!!! For me it is personally very fascinating and I always end up smiling looking at the planning and more importantly the enthusiasm!

I know right! So nice to work with these students and thankfully very rare are the days when I feel totally exhausted. I am grateful for this lovely opportunity. You are so right about surrendering!

Not that you don't know but here's your word of the day for you - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

Enjoy!!!

shyamala1234 and Thyagarajan like this.
  7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Rihana,

I swear! not the bad one but every time I read you, you sound like my double! You are the only other person who uses thing1 and thing2 like me. The only difference? You with your own kids, me with my students!! There are many instances I have felt that way while reading you here in IL! License plates too? Well it never occurred to me for the reasons you quote but then I am that personality, ask me to remember something and I will forget, make a rule I will break it and so on and so forth! The moment I tell my DH that I have put away something in a safe place, the whole household collectively goes "forget about it". I mean it so much that in fact I forget what that safe place is!! So now the norm is "keep it where you can see"! Can you imagine how my house is - an open book! One of the benefits of being in the present is the moment itself is forgotten where as the memory of that aha feeling lingers on!

You are so kind to me with your appreciation. Thank you. It pleases me to no end knowing that you have a no-reason smile. Now it is your turn to bring us that smile with your writing. I can't wait to read you and I am sure many other ILs as well!

Kal Kare So Aaj Kar, Aaj Kare So Ub
    Pal Mein Pralaya Hoyegi, Bahuri Karoge Kub
    [Tomorrow's work do today, today's work now
    if the moment is lost, the work be done how] :)

I love reading you where ever you post but hoping to read you here in snippets soon. Thank you my fried for your response here.

peddadas, Thyagarajan and Viswamitra like this.
  8. girvani

girvani Platinum IL'ite

Dearest Srama

I don’t know where to start. While you are describing a nature you become a nature itself, while you are conveying about an innocence of a child, I see a heart full of purity and a big innocent child in you. Your writing is a joy and it makes me feel choked up with happy tears.

I do count the stairs, I do time my cooking/ Chores mentally before a day before (individual durations for each part) and then real cooking or any chores doesn’t become a burden, I do count how many squares in a ceiling or a wall. Now I am glad that I am not mad. My younger son quantify everything as he sees or talks too.

Yesterday I saw a rainbow. I screamed with the joy and at that moment I thought about you. Your students are so luck to have you as a teacher and your family is blessed to have you. Keep writing and make me cry.

Vani

shyamala1234, Srama and Viswamitra like this.
  9. peddadas

peddadas Platinum IL'ite

I cannot say much other than envy 'ing all your thoughts ! How nicely everything has paid attention to (counting stairs(by almost everyone :banana:), innocence of a child by @Viswamitra Ji , Estimation logistics by @jayasala42 Ji , @iyerviji Ji taking time to respond in midst of her tiring move-in move-out process, Considering a change in our everyday approach by @Rihana Ji).

I am definitely blessed to be part of this IL group and lucky to read these kind of wonderful snippets.

My .000001 cent addition, I too count my 17 stairs almost every day (that is how I taught my #2 the numbers when she was a baby), I decode number plates mostly custom to get the gist of people's mindset (Ex: STRIC9(Stricken), MNGCOFE(Morning Coffee), ILUVTE (I Love Tea), ILUVSING, (I Love Singing), SNRS(Musical Note Sa Ni Ri Sa) , SKIING, NOGAS(Tesla Hybrids), HAHAGAS(Tesla Hybrids) .. etc.,)

Saritha

Srama likes this.
  10. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear Vani,

Now you have me all misty eyed. Children are very close to my heart and they touch me immensely. I am truly blessed to be able to work with children and interact with them. You can assume that I am always there with you whenever you feel you are alone in your madness :biggrin:. You can never be alone. How fortunate am I to have friends think of me when something excites them. I am truly happy. You made my day!

Thank you my friend for always cheering me with your heartfelt enthusiastic responses.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    girvani likes this.