1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Be Afraid Of Birth-the Cause Of Death

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by HariLakhera, Aug 12, 2018.

1. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

That too is an human assumption - nobody knows. We see so many stories of animals who are so kind and considerate to other beings. We can strive to avoid another birth (if there is) by trying to avoid too much of bad karma (if that is in our control). All this with the caveat that there are no guarantees in life or in death.

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

A nice introspection sir.
    A very close friend of mine was a rich and famous astrologer in Chennai. He saw from his horoscope that he would be world class celebrity in the following birth and became so overwhelmed by the prospect that he committed suicide to reach there asap!

Thyagarajan likes this.
  3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Hariji,

You are right. Birth is the cause of sufferings and we are here to learn how not to be born again. My business partner used to mention about a quote, "I am not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it shows up". I read an interesting Vedantic interpretation of what happens at the time of death. We leave only the Sthula Sareera and the impressions of our actions created in our mind comes with us at the subconscious level. When a new body is selected for the soul to reside, these impressions get superimposed in the new brain. Whatever is assigned to face in the current life (Prarbtha Karma) will show up as thoughts and all happenings around us will be related to that Karma. As you rightly said, Nishkama Karma will eliminate creating further impressions and voluntary selfless, loving and skillful good actions keep wiping the impressions as well.

The real challenge is cracking the code (impressions) embedded in the brain (as subconscious mind) to even look at the Sanchita Karma and make efforts to eliminate them in the present life itself. It is like accelerating the transformation from form to formless. The Western philosophy calls it as finding the purpose of life and the Eastern philosophy calls it as Yoga (Gnana, Karma and Bhakthi). This might be happening rarely but wiping our Karma can be done regularly by our own review of thoughts, words and actions.

The Monkey and its infant and Cat and Kitten are referred to as examples of how liberation can be achieved. We can either hold on the waist of the mother Supreme when the mother jumps around the branches or leave it to the mother to carry us safe in her mouth through small holes.

Viswa

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    Thyagarajan and Cheeniya like this.
  4. HariLakhera

HariLakhera Platinum IL'ite

Still there are souls that merge with the creator and never return in any form. Since their number is too small, it does not make any difference in the number of souls populating the mother earth.
    And as you said, there is no point in worrying about all this. More practical.

5. HariLakhera

Haha. Great, yet simple solution. I wonder anyone knowing what really happened to him!!!!!! There is no way one can remember the previous birth. There have been cases of some remembering their past but nothing mush was heard of them.

6. HariLakhera

Dear Viswa,
    I never thought about monkey or cat way. Thanks. In either case the infant grows up and so does the kitten to face the real world. Like them humans also depend on parents for quite some time. That temporary liberation turns into a big fight for survival. The fight continues till the last breath. During this period all are encountering the pains and enjoying the pleasures totally unmindful of the inevitable- death.
    Ghalib said -apni khusi aye na apni khusi gaye (both birth and death, without choice).

7. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Hariji,
    It is all confusing and very very deep philosophy to people like me. Why worry about birth, death which are bound to happen anyway? Live life, at least try to live in a meaningful way with good values, helping others as much as possible, doing our duties and pursue our interests or passions without hurting anyone...... That is all about life. But sometimes many questions crop up in mind about birth and death. Many questions but no answers!
    Syamala

Thyagarajan likes this.
  8. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Shri Harilakhera by his writing has evoked varieties of responses.Such discussions definitely help to develop our perceptions .

Shri Viswa has made a reference to two important logics or Nyaya sastras.
    Two of those Nyayas – Markata Nyaya and Marjara Nyaya — are very popular among the devotees. Devotees are broadly classified into Monkey (Markata) group and Cat (Marjara) group.

A monkey (markata in Sanskrit) jumps from tree to tree. But it never helps its baby to come with it during its journey. Only the little one has to take care of itself by holding on to its mummy. We can see little monkeys clutching the belly of mother monkey. But its grip is proverbial. It never loses its grip. Mummy also knows it will never fall down. Some devotees are like this monkey. They hold on to God with their efforts. This is called Markata Nyaya.

If you watch cats (marjara) it is quite different from monkeys. Here only the mummy cares about the kittens. Kittens never bother about mum when it moves from one place to another. The cat carries its baby kitten in its mouth without hurting it. We leave everything to God. When they make absolute surrender, God takes care of the devotees like the mother cats. This called Marjara Nyaya.

There is a ladder and boat Nyaya similar to this in the hymns of Appar Thevaram in Tamil.

What does a ladder do? It helps anyone to climb up. But the climber has to hold on to it. The ladder physically does nothing. We can compare this to Markata Nyaya. Like the little ones clutching mummy’s tummy, devotees hold on to it.

What does a boat do? As soon as you board it the boat man sails it. After boarding it, you need not do anything. You leave all the responsibility to the boat man. So if we leave all the worries to God and surrenders to him, he will take care of us and take us to the destination i.e. Moksha. We can compare this to Marjara Nyaya.

A guru is often compared to both the ladder and the boat.

I was just reminded of these things while going through the snippet again.Though the original doubts still remain unanswered,discussions prove to be enlightening.

jayasala 42

Srama likes this.
  9. HariLakhera

Syamalaji,
    Thaks for your feedback. Having taken birth, which is not in our control, we have only option left and that is living in full and not to be afraid of death because that is inevitable. Most of the time we think life is for ever and continue doing things that we should not be doing like collecting material possessions. As I said somewhere, if it was possible to carry all these possessions with us, no one would be afraid of death.

10. HariLakhera

Thanks for elaboration.The Christians believe God is watching each of our action and is always there to pay for our sins. He only wants us to confess and pray for forgiveness. He loves us and one day we will be with Him. This compares to Moksha or Marjara Nyaya.
    In my snippet I tried to find the truth of journey between birth and death both of which are not in our control. The journey is filled with pains and pleasures both but we talk only of pains, knowing fully well that both are transitory. In other words, the journey itself is transitory.
    When it comes to fearing death, both believers and non believers are on the same boat. When it comes to complaining of pains, both are in the same boat.
    If at all, we are fearful of pains and death, we should be more fearful of birth which is the cause of all pains and death and how to not to be born again.
    Non believers do not care as they do not believe in rebirth. Period.
    Believers are left with only way available-salvation through the Niskam Karma Yoga, Jyana Yoga and Bhakti Yoga.
    I must admit I am not at all conversant

Thyagarajan likes this.