1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Bay area ladies meet here

Discussion in 'Indians in Bay Area' started by Shal, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

We defly are here to stay!!!

Hey Vidhukumar,

Good to see you gettin us out of hibernation!! I actually had missed a couple of posts that Shweta and 'friends2b' shared...good that you got me back on track!!

Hey Shweta, where did u celebrate holi? Ridhima(ridhi23) and I had been to the Sunnyvale temple holi and we enjoyed it thoroughly! Stanford Holi was way too late, so we lost all the mood!!
    Tell us all more abt yourself, and the places, stores, restaurants, hang-outs you've been to and we could prolly get a tip or two!

Hey 'friends2b', House of Nanking is an amazing Chinese eat-out which attracts so much crowd with its taste! We love to go there and eat the 'Mu-shu' (veggie wraps) and the veggie dumplings. Haven't been to Shiva's yet...should try it soon!

Could anyone suggest good locations to go camping in summer? I'd prefer some place that's not too near as we're planning to rent a 4 or 6 persons RV, so no fun if we dont drive long enough!

Keep mailing in gals!

Shal

2. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Dear gals

Planning to make a visit to Bay Area maybe this weekend or next week,once the weather permits.

Pls suggest some places to see...we don't want to stay over,we will probably drive early in the morning from Sacramento and come back home by evening.We have already seen Mystery spot and Alcatraz,so pls suggest something else and also if any Indian restaurant is nearby.

Cheers

3. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Camping in Summer

Hi Shal,
    Long time no hear. Since you want to go camping and that too a long drive. How about trying Crater lake, Mount Shasta area. It is really beautiful. It is on the border of Oregon and CA. The drive is very scenic. It is a good 500 or so miles from san Jose. You could google and find out more info. If you are a little more adventurous, you get house boats for rent on Crater lake. That is some experience.!!

Vandhana

Last edited: Apr 13, 2006
  4. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

For Sunitha

Here are a few places to consider: All of them are a days trip in themselves.
    Since you a have a kid:

1. Oakland Zoo
    2. San francisco Exploratorium
    3. Bonfante Gardens ( this is in Gilroy. I t will be at least a three hour drive for you)

All of the above have websites that you can look up. If you go to Oakland Zoo, there a re plenty of Indian restaurants in berkeley on Universtiy Avenue.

For Banfante Gardens, The closest will be indian restaurants in San Jose or Fremont area on your way back.

Hope this helps
    Vandhana

5. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Chalti Phirti Wikipidea!!

Dear Vandana,

Guess wat? We were thinking about Crater Lake too! We wanted to go there when we went to Colorado during Thanksgiving but ended up spending all three days in Vail, Aspen and Boulder! So, yeah, it looks like an impressive one for it's an 8 hour drive and has some nice camping, fishing, scuba-diving spots!

To me, you are a walking talking wikipedia!!!!

Thanks a bunch:)

Shalini

6. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Thanks a lot Vandhana...will check out all the 3 options.

Cheers

7. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Bonafante

Thanks a lot Vandhana...we went to Bonafante Gardens on Saturday...Beautiful place.Took us about 2 1/2 hrs from our place.Lots of fun activities for kids and my son really enjoyed..he went on almost all the rides..ofcourse,we went along with him too...sometimes I wonder whether we are more kiddish than him!!

On our way back, we went to Saravana Bhavan on Fremont avenue,had delicious Rava khichdi and sambar vada.Then we went to the Nilgiris close by and purchased a whole lot of Indian stuff.Found Molakeerai there!!!WOW!!! With all this ,we were back at home by 8.30 pm.

Thanks a lot for suggesting this place.Even our friends who have been here for almost 8 yrs did not know this place.

Now,does anyone know about Yosemite National park...pls let me know if anyone has been there.Planning to go there end of this month.

8. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Yosemite

Hi Sunitha,

Glad that you liked Bonfante. We are planning to take the kids in summer. Anyway, about Yosemite, this is a good time to go. All the waterfalls will be in full flow now. I am not sure how long it takes from sacramento. But inside the park, you can park your vehicle and go on the guided tours that the park has. It has been ages since we went( i think almost 8 yrs now) . Kids will be a littlebored , but it is a hikers paradise.

Check out this website:

http://www.nps.gov/yose/home.htm

I would recomend that you pack and take your food for the day. There are a few cafes , but they are usually very crowded.

Anyone been there recently should have more up to date info.

Vandhana

9. sunitha

sunitha Gold IL'ite

Yosemite is about 3 hrs from Sacramento,but that also depends on which part of Yosemite we are going to(out of the 4 points),I suppose...that is what I found from their site.We are thinking of going to a central point...let's see!

Yes,I was thinking about the food too...especially for my son since he fusses a lot with food..myself and hubby are okay with a pizza or a burger,so that's not a problem.

10. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Dear Sunita, need your help!

Having made a trip to Canada just this week, Dh and I decided that we're gonna play it cool this memorial day weekend. Hence, I was looking to go to this place called Yuba City(thanks to Ridhi23, for she suggested this place!) that seems to be not too far from Sacramento(and is about 2 hrs drive from San Jose). There seems to be an Annual Punjabi American Festival held there on 28th may and it looks like a good option. But we definitely do not want to end up eating and watching stage shows all day!

Do you have suggestions about doing fun stuff (boating, backpacking, trekking, etc) around Yuba city or Sacramento. Are there any other places you think we could go to so we could do more than just shopping and eating at Yuba city? Do you think we could do it all in just one day or it's a good option to stay overnight?

Too many qs here, take your time to answer:)

TIA,

Love
    Shalini