1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Bay area ladies meet here

Discussion in 'Indians in Bay Area' started by Shal, Feb 23, 2006.

1. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Ikea

Another Wonderful place to shop for gifts and houseware is IKEA. They have some really good stuff at very reasonable prices. I have been to the one in Palo Alto.

2. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

Hi girls!!
    here are my inputs to the questions!

1. Where do you shop for apparel?

costco(got good pyjama sets),Gilroy factory outlets has loads of shops....takes a day or 2 to see all of them,you have all kinds of shops there-apparel,crockery,perfumes,shoes..all the big brands...they have a good sale during christmas....labour day.
    2. Where do you shop for groceries(Indian& non-indian)

Iindia Cash And Carry(live very close to it),new india bazaar....i'v been to farmers market couple of times too but dont go there often.

3. Where do you buy your shoes from?
    sneakers from nike,reebok(Gilroy factory outlet has all the brands),sometimes costco too.

4. What are good places to shop for gifts to take to India?
    Mostly from costco coz there you can pick up all kinds of stuff,specially chocolates(u get big bags of them...hersheys etc...),walmart&frys

5. What, in your opinion, is a good gift for newly wedded couples coming to the bay area? Where do you buy the gifts?
    Once we got a very good deal for electric rice cooker in frys which we gave one of our newly married friends..it was very helpful for the new bride...mostly i go in for items that will help the new bride set up her home.

5. Do you look for deals and then go shopping or end up at the mall and then search for one?
    Well my hubby generally looks for deals in frys coz he is an electronic buff!!!i generally hit the mall&pick what i like.

i have another question that would be good to share -

what are the good places near the bay area that you have visited and you recomend for others or any place you want to visit sometime soon?

i would like to add my answer here itself,
    1. yosemite is a good place coz it looks different in each season and each season has a unique beauty!!!lovely place with lots of meadows,waterfall&mountains!!!i'v heard during spring thare are lots of flowers!!!its a quite retreat!we went in summer so missed out on the flowers&few waterfalls.3&1/2 hrs frm bayarea.
    2.Lake Tahoe-i have been here when i was in Sacremanto(roseville)we went there during winter&enjoyed the winch car ride in sqaw valley on top of snow capped mountains!!!Falsom lake and dam is also nice in sacramento!! you must have been there Sunitha.i guess its 2&1/2 -3 hrs from sacramento &sacramento is 2&1/2 hr from bay area.

i have not written about places out of CA like LA&LV etc... coz we can visit these places close by on any weekend!!!please share any other good places you all may know!Ofcourse places like the Golden gate need no mention!!!

thats all from me
    Vidhya.

3. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Bay area attractions

Dear all,

Looks like most of us buy stuff from the same set of grocery stores! It's interesting to know some new stores such as Trader Joes(it's new to me!!), have heard lots about it, but never really ventured. I agree Costco is one place where you can buy lots of things including chocolates, candies, etc while taking gifts to India.

Now my list of attractive places:

1. Lake Tahoe: Went there last july and had loads of fun jet-skiing, and just driving around the lake. The route to Tahoe itself is pretty scenic!

2. Reno: Covered Tahoe and headed to Reno. I must say even the 5-star hotels there are cheaper than Tahoe. It is a mini mini version of Vegas, but I still liked it a lot for that was the first time I gambled(on slot machines!!!).

3. 17-mile drive: The carmel scenic route covered over a stretch of 17 miles is worth driving atleast 3 times. It is a very beautiful drive that takes you along the ocean with some really good spots to stand and just stare for a while!

4. Half-moon bay: Last summer, we hiked on the Pigeon-point trail which is very close to the Half-moon bay on route 1. The lighthouse there is a good attraction and the adjoining trails make some nice hikes. They are not too steep, but once you are on top of the trail, you get to see a panoramic view of the bay!

5. Shoreline blvd: Situated at Mountain View, this is again a fun place to visit. Not as glamorous as Tahoe, but still attracts quite a bit. We went just a week ago and found it to be serene and away from the hustle-bustle of the city. They have row-boats, pedal-boats, bikes, and some other stuff there.

6. San Francisco: One loves SFO for its sheer charm which makes you wish you lived there and built your house too. Despite some disadvantages such as heavy traffic, steep roads, it is one of the best cities in the world. I love the Golden Gate bridge, Fishermen's wharf, Ghirardelli, Union square, The adjoining Macy's, China town, Pier 39, Lombard Street, Cable car ride, etc. The Alcatras ferry ride is worth taking once.

7. Livermore temple: I would like to call it an attraction because it seriously is one because unlike India, we don't get to visit the temple every now and then due to distance. It sure brings a lot of positive energy to me. I like the temple at Sunnyvale too.

Have still to cover Yosemite, Napa Valley, Sacramento, some east bay areas such as Oakland, Dublin, etc.

Like Vidhukumar mentioned, LA, Vegas etc are awesome places too but are too far. We could probably start another Travel thread for all the places across the country.

Love-
    Shalini

4. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Ikea-the ultimate home store!!

Vandana,

I totally agree Ikea is one place you can find almost anything! I feel intimidated by the store, for I always fear of getting lost there!!!

We bought our nightstands, chest of drawers, bread bin, paintings, etc from Ikea and the rest of the stuff from target, officemax, lampsplus, etc.

I forgot to mention in my earlier post about Santana Row. It's one the places we love to hang-out with friends during weekends. I love the stores surrounding the place and also like Valley-fair mall for its size and variety of stores!

-Shal
    p.s. I am going to Mikasa today to check out some of the stuff...I like many of them, but some seem pricey to me. Let's see if I can pick up something today. I generally buy kitchen items from Crate and Barrel, Pier1 imports etc.

5. vidhukumar

vidhukumar Senior IL'ite

oh ya shal!!!
    i completely forgot about the 17 mile drive,shoreline blvd&half moon bay!!!those are great places too....i have been to Reno but nothing compared to Las Vegas!!!but am not comfertable with the crowded atmosphre in Reno&Vegas........Disney Land and Universal studios is the only place i didnt mind the crowd coz i was too busy having fun!!!but have been there two times&dont want to go there untill i get a kid&i need to take him/her!!!! i am next looking forward to visiting Grand canyon sometime soon....when ever i can..

6. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Few More Places:

Ladies,

Since you have covered the most popular places, here are a few that i liked too. Bye the , did you stop and have an Icecream at the Ghiradelli icecream parlor? It is really awe some.

Anyway:

Napa Valley and Sonoma are good places to visit. The vineyards are really beautiful Also go to Calistoga to see the hot springs. Mendocino further up north is great place on the coast. The scenery is just breath taking. And then Drive down on route 1. It is worth it. Mendocino is about 3/12 to 4 hrs drive from San Jose.

I like Big Basin State park and Roaring camp Railroad. It is on Hgwy 880 on the way to Santa Cruz. They have really nice trails through the Red woods.

John Muir Redwood forrest is another favorite for trekking.

Down south, Hearst Castle in San Simeon is worth it. Again it is about 3 hours from san jose. But you can cover it in a day. Pismo beach is also fun , but more of like a beach vacation.

I like LV and Reno. But don't go there now due to the kids. We stick more to kid friendly places. Recently we went to San Diego .Carlsbad and had a good time. LA is a perenial favorite of everyone.

If anyone has not gone to Vegas yet, I would suggest combining vegas and Grand canyon together. GC is about 4 hrs from Vegas.

happy travelling.

7. ridhi23

ridhi23 New IL'ite

1. Where do you shop for apparel?
    I like to go to Macys, Banana Republic, Gap and Levis..

2. Where do you shop for groceries(Indian& non-indian)
    For non indian Groceres i stick to Safeway mostly( as its very near to my place), sometimes albertsons too
    For Indian stuff I go to Dana Bazaar and Coconut Hill .They have a huge variety of most of the stuff..plus u can enjoy the chat at dana bazaar after u are done shopping

3. Where do you buy your shoes from?
    sports shoes mainly from Nike and others from Macys or naturalizer

4. What are good places to shop for gifts to take to India?
    Again if u want to take clothes etc u can go to macys..also try the Gilroy outlets..they have every major store outlet there and u get great prices too

5. What, in your opinion, is a good gift for newly wedded couples coming to the bay area? Where do you buy the gifts?
    I think gifts from the home section of stores like Macys etc are always good..also gift cards are good too..have u tried gifting art..like a painting or a show peice..that looks good too..

6. Do you look for deals and then go shopping or end up at the mall and then search for one?
    I just go to the mall and then shop..if a deal comes across my way its good..if not its still ok..i dont go that much to malls..so when i go I just shop for what I want and what I dont want too..

8. ridhi23

ridhi23 New IL'ite

Places Ive been to and liked for Eating out

Indian:
    1. Bombay Garden-its in fermont/newark. Awesome food both veg and non veg..they have a buffet on weekends..
    2. Naan and curry--One place that we eat at every week cos it has one of the best Non Veg food I have ever tasted..Their Chcken Tikka Masala is out of this world..and the biryani too. BTW Naan and curry is in san Francisco
    3. Krishna--in fremont for Gujrati food..try their thaali ..really nice
    4. Madras Cafe-in fremont for south indian food..really authentic..
    5. Chaat at dana bazaar in fremont--needs no introduction..awesome
    6. Sarvana Bhavan in santa clara

Chinese: I simply love Chinese food..
    1. Wok City-in fremont...The tastiest yummiest chinese food..everytthing is superb

Thai:
    1. Bangkok Gargen in Daly city..very nice thai food..

Italian:
    1. I Love the italian food at Fontana's in Cupertino

though ive been to many more but cant think of any right now..but all this apart..I just love "ghar ka khana"..nothing compares to that...i miss my mom's cooking a lotttttt...MOM I MISS U !!!!!!!

9. Shal

Shal Senior IL'ite

Bay area's Khaana Khazaana!!

Vandana and Ridhima,

Good you guys started a discussion about a topic that's not only women's fav but also appeals greatly to men!! The all-so-busy 'Ask Chitvish' forum is the biggest testimony to this;) The foodie that I am, I'd love to share my experiences with various types of cuisines here in the bay area:

Indian :
    1. Madras Cafe: The madrasi in me never dies;) I love the food here for it is so unpretentious and authentic! Located in sunnyvale.
    http://www.madrascafe.us/

2. Chaat paradise: Awesome ragda pattice, papdi chaat, dal dhokli and hara bhara paratha. Do not miss the chaas in the house thalis too! Again very humble and unpretentious food. Located in mountain view.
    http://www.chaatparadise.com/

3. Dana Bazaar: Needless to mention this all-so good mumbai-style pani-puri corner at the Indian store Dana Bazaar as it has frequent desi visitors. The other good things are the aloo tikki and dahi kachori served by the aunties. Located in fremont

4. Tirupathi Bhimas: Started by the Sri Krishna Sweets of Chennai, this is strictly for andhra food-lovers. DO NOT order the north indian food and say this restaurant isn't good. It is purely andhra food. Go for the andhra spicy-thali and you won't be disappointed. Located in Milpitas
    http://tirupathibhimas.com/

5. Amber India: Very nice ambience, excellent food. Tried the saag-paneer and mango lassi along with pudina paratha and all of them were awesome! The service was excellent. Located in Mountain view and Santana Row.
    http://www.amber-india.com/

6. Udipi Palace: Very ok place. My friend got burnt dosas twice. I don't hate the place, but it definitely isn't at the top of my list. Located in El-camino next to India Cash and Carry.

7. Lucky dhaba: Decent food. Generally go there since it adjoins India Cash n carry. No favorites here. Just pick and choose watever comes to mind.

8. Saravana Bavan &Dasprakash: Good places. Don't love but just like both the places. SB's wait time kills my apetite. I find Dasprakash decent, but still prefer something less fanciful.

9. Milan Sweet shop: A small petite place where I normally see either bachelors or people with kids(I belong to neither but I end up there many times!!) Their papdi chaat is worth mentioning and so are the khandvi, chai, and sweets.

Many more, but they escape me at the moment...

Thai:

Amarin Thai at Mountain View- I liked the food lots. I was suggested by a friend to ask for this dish 'Pad ki ma' which was not on the menu but was a speciality and man, was it good! I love this place for their thai so much that I haven't had the mind to try any other thai place!!
    Note: Not the ones at Sunnyvale or Great America, make sure you land at the one at Mountain View for the others just suck!!

Malaysian:

Banana Leaf: Needless to say, most of us have gone here and tasted the lovely Malaysian food they serve! Just for people who haven't been here, it is located in San Jose(Mc Carthy Ranch).
    http://www.bananaleaf-usa.com/

Mexican:

1. Wahoo's: My husband swore by this one when he took me there the first time as he had already been to the Wahoo's at Colorado tons of times. And yes, it is really really good, Ridhima would agree. She supposedly did not enjoy Mex food so much, but the pudina sauce they pour over the burritos is just superb and she loved it!! Located at Santana Row.
    http://www.wahoos.com/

2. Chevy's fresh-mex: I like their fresh margharitas esp the watermelon. The food is straight off the grill so it tastes very fresh.
    http://www.chevys.com/frameset.html

3. Baja Fresh: Very fresh food, I love the chips they serve and the salsa bar with various options. http://www.bajafresh.com/jump.jsp?itemID=0&itemType=HOME_PAGE

Have still to try some more suggested by friends, but we end up eating at Wahoo's all the time we crave for Mexican...

Italian:

1. California Pizza Kitchen: I love their pizzas and the tiramisu.

2. Macaroni Grill: I love the pasta they serve, the fresh aroma of basil is wonderful!

Chinese:

1. Sino's: This Chinese restaurant is my fav not for the food(not ideal for we veggies) but for its ambience. It is perfect for a romantic dinner. Located at Santana Row.
    http://www.sinorestaurant.com/

2. House of Nanking: Totally opposite the above, expect the udipi style kada-kada-kada sound here!!! But expect to get awesome veggie options that are mouth-watering. Located at China Town, SFO.

Med:

Haven't been to too many here. I loved some in Colorado, they were awesome. Have heard quite a bit about the falafel drive-in, gotta make sure I visit it sometime. Ate at a downtown mountain View restaurant once, can't remember the name though.

I generally make hummus at home and use it for pita-pockets.

Healthy options:

1. Fresh Choice: Like Vandana said, I'd love to go there anytime too! Love the amount of salads I get to chew on! I like the non-fat icecream too :p

2. Subway/Quizno's: Anytime places. I am a salad-freak, so stop by these places at any point of the day and pick up to fill my stomach!!

Would still like to try Mongolian (I loved the BD's Mongolian BBQ at Colorado, wish I could find a good place here too), Ethiopian, Russian, Lebanese, French, etc.

Too long a list aint it girls? Haha...Guess I could call myself Saapadu Seethai;)

Love-
    Shal

10. Vandhana

Vandhana Silver IL'ite

Shal,

Well that is quite a list you have covered in the short while you have been here!! Anyway, udipi Palace used to be good when they opened about i think 7 years back. But the standard has gone down a lot.

I would also recomend Gaylord Indian Cuisine. They are located in Menlo park and Ghiradelli Square. I think their malai kofta is the best i have eaten in any indian restaurant here. Chaat paradise is good too. Used to go there many time. My office was on Shore line blvd . Anyway, i am considered a decent cook of allthe north indian stuff so we only eat north indian out when we go for parites . Otherwise like Ridhima said it is good old ghar ka khana!!!

By the way how did you idlis come out that day? I am just in the process of grinding a big batch of dough. All the men in my family are "idli Subbans".

Have a nice weekend everyone!