1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bathroom Etiquettes For Indian Parents In Us

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by sanjuruby3, Jul 30, 2018.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

Hi
    I am having this problem and my bathrooms are all messy and stinking with my father spilling everywhere. I have breaking my back cleaning and deodorizing. I can still live with it but my worst fear is when we get invited at somebody's place or we invite someone. How do I convey to him on how to use toilets here or leave it clean for others to use.
    We have these toilets in home in india too and they are messy there also.

2. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

i conveyed this message through my mom :(
    My dad was a mess until i told my mom to tell him!

3. sanjuruby3

I have been trying to do the same. But it does not work. I do not tell mom to tell on my behalf. You know father's ego won't accept kids teaching them how to go. So mother tells him like she is teaching him and he instead of listening, gets mad. My father has big ego.
    Poor mother feels so ashamed and embarassed. She gets blasted from him to teach him manners and me. Problem is that my kid sometimes goes and sits directly without checking and she complains also. This has been so stressful for us. And smells trapped are making me vomit, because of how bathrooms are here in US, not much ventilation.

4. Rakhii

Rakhii Moderator IL Hall of Fame

that's really ewww.
    Can you yell at your husband? I mean...when dad comes out, go in, and start yell, "oye, Mr. Sanjuruby, see what you have done...disgusting!"
    But hubby has to be on board for this.
    Or, just loudly teach your kid again the bathroom manners. I know how this can get. FYI, use essential oil diffusers to get rid of the smell. also try cleaning using tea-tree essential oil

Penelope and shravs3 like this.
  5. Acctgirl83

Acctgirl83 New IL'ite

My dad does the same thing and it is disgusting. I have conveyed it through my mom and he's learning is much better now. The worst is when relatives from India come and they turn the bathroom into a mess, esp. my one uncle. I can't believe simple things like these are not taught to people in India.

6. sanjuruby3

Seriously. I think same. My dad is just a bit better but we have to be extra cautious. I love them and feel bad and guilt about this thing that once they leave i will need to deep clean. Thank god we do not have many relatives coming.

7. sheztheone

sheztheone Platinum IL'ite

How you convey it to them really depends on their temperament and your relationship. To avoid too much work at our end, we usually remove all cloth-based items from the toilet and replace with plastics or disposables (mat, seat cover etc. else remove it completely).
    Another way is to have the grandchild teach them gently. It is difficult for grandparents to let their ego come in when the child tells them.