1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Bath issue - scared of the bathroom or tub

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by Classy, Sep 9, 2007.

1. Classy

Classy New IL'ite

[FONT=arial,helvetica] My 14 mo. old toddler was taking a bath in the infant batch tub which we fix in the kitchen sink. After he started standing he would move around a lot making it very difficult to give him shower in the tub. Since he can walk around now, I tried to give him batch in the bath tub that we use. First day I filled it with water and let him stand in it, he was scared and screaming. Even if I drain the water and let him stand on a dry tub too he is very scared. Its the same with the shower room too. He somehow is scared looking at the bath tub and the shower and even if we keep his favorite things there, he doesn't want to take it and just asks us to hold him. Last 2 days I tried to hold him and I went into the tub and poured water on him and gave him a bath. He was holding me for most of the time except in the end he tood by himself but was crying all the time. He just shows that he does not want to be there and once we take him out he is all fine. What is the solution for this? I tried continuing the shower in the kitchen sink only for few days so he would forget but should I try to do that for a month so he forgets completely? But how do I make him get rid of the fear for the bath tub? Please help as it gets very hard to hold him still. [/FONT]

2. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Hi Classy,
    good question. Infact me too wondering why my son has suddenly got an aversion to the bathroom. I used to bathe him only in the bathroom since he was 4 months old. He enjoyed playing in the water and taking bath. He will be the first person to take bath every day now he has got an aversion and is not ready to take a bath forget the shower. But being in India I make sure that he takes bath two times a day in luke warm water. Still confused why he is so. I am also waiting with you for a good solution from anyone who could tellme why this has hapened so suddenly!!!!!

3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi rajmi ,

Sudden likes and dislikes are part of the growing phase..

My son does not like soap on his face..the reason we found that it irritates his nose leading to sneezing..but we are trying to make him understand..:frown:.. have to be strict....

daughter never gave me a problem.............

4. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

The only immediate solution i can see is to establish that the bath tub is as secure as the kitchen sink. For this you/your husband can play with him along with giving him a bath....just one of you can play in the bath tub and the other can hold him and talk about it to him..slowly he will definitely forget his fear. get him water toys...a little patience and lot of splashing....ofcourse family bonding.:cool2:

5. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Yes Shanvy,

I know it is a growing phase problem, I got confused because my daughter never gave any problem in bringing her up. She was and is a cutie pie. She understood things so early and was happy to have anything that we suggest is good for her. But my son giving me hell lot of trouble (My mother often comments boys are only like that and you need to have patience/ he is like you):bang

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi rajmi,

Maybe your mom is right...whatever was a smooth sailing with my daughter looks like a big storm with my son....i too :bang

7. latamurali

latamurali Gold IL'ite

HAI

Now-a-days as u get different INFLATTABLE POOLS whch looks like small bath tub for infants and small kids in different sizes and shapes (even u get in main roads and in all supermarkets) and u can also entertain them by using bath ducksand lot of toys u get for this purpose., definitely kids will enjoy, and u can use that even in the middle of the hall and so they dont find they are in some new place u can use those pools till age of 2.

try them.

latamurali:cool2:

8. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    Handle him with patience and ask his doc whether you can use kids body wah. Somekids don't like soap but they love the bubbles from liquid body wash, a few drops wil do.

9. SDM

SDM New IL'ite

Hi All!!!!

I too had the same problem with my son who is 12 months old now..The same way he used to scream wen v place him in the bath tub...but one good day turned all the things out..My son used to take a nap for 2 hrs in the morning at the mean time i used to take my shower..but on the fine day my cutie woke up and i was in the middle of the bath...so wat to do..i took him to the bathroom..made him to hold the bathtub..then i took bath..then while putting soap to my face i told him that "how happily i am taking bath ...baby,c how i am smiling while cleaning my face.like the way u can add ur own words....that really worked out for me..and now he never cries...he enjoys being n the bath tub...Keep a try:2thumbsup:

With Luv,
    SDM