1. Looking for an Interesting Craft Project? : Plethora of Ideas
    Dismiss Notice

Basic steps in making Terracotta Jewellery.....

Discussion in 'Jewellery Making' started by geetharao, Dec 2, 2013.

1. geetharao

geetharao Gold IL'ite

Hello Friends,

Recently I tried my hands in Terracotta jewellery which turned out to be satisfactory....

So thought of sharing the procedure......

Happy if it really help you......

The first thing which you need to make a terracotta jewellery is terracotta clay.

This is also called as processed clay or potters clay which you can get from potters shop.

I got this clay from a neighbor in my native place who is a potter.

This clay can be stored in an air tight box to prevent it from hardening.

When you start working with the clay, no need to add water or any other things as the clay itself will be ready to make jewellery.

Roll sufficient amount of clay with your hands or with the help of a rolling pin.

Give them different size, shape and structure according to your creativity.

Dip your fingers in water and rub over the surface to give it a smooth finishing.

Note: Do not use excess of water.

Allow the prepared structures to air dry for 2 days. No need to keep them in sunlight.

After two days bake the structures for half an hour with a temperature 220 - 240 degree centigrade.

Note: Again here, people like me, gets disappointed as we do not either have a kiln or oven to bake the clay. So what I did was, just took my pressure cooker, adjusted the flame of the gas to high ( normally a high flame in the gas burner means a temperature around 200 to 240 degree centigrade), placed all the clay structures in an air tight steel box, poured water inside the cooker, and placed the steel box inside the cooker, and closed the lid of the cooker and placed it on a high flame. Do not forget to remove the weight of the cooker. Baked it for about half an hour. So the jewellery is ready.... ;-) ;-)

Now paint the jewellery with different, attractive acrylic colors....

This is my method of making the terracotta jewellery.

Here is a link in you tube which helps in making a terracotta jewellery. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YdPIJsE4jGE. If the link is removed by the admin, just open you tube, type terracotta jewellery making video in the search box, which shows a set of videos from which you can select.

Right from three months I was searching for the procedure of making clay jewellery but in vain. The blogs which portrayed the clay jewelleries of their owners did not show the procedure in making.

I had even posted the queries in this section about the making, but I don't know why, those who knew the procedure, kept quiet and did not even bother to answer.

But my heartfelt thanks to Kalaipriya who guided me in the procedure of baking the clay.....

Friends I will be most happy if you let me know this thread is useful to you....

Sorry for the grammatical mistakes in the post......

Knowledge always increase with sharing...:) :) :)

2. SandhyaBoopathy

SandhyaBoopathy Bronze IL'ite

Thank you for this info

1 person likes this.
  3. vidyavinod

vidyavinod Junior IL'ite

thank u very much geetha...even i had posted few queries abt baking terracotta, but unfortunately nobody bothered to respond...this pressure cooker baking technique is something new ..thanx for the info, i wud definitely try :)

3 people like this.
  4. saradab

saradab New IL'ite

Excellent Geetharao, Finally u broke the secret of baking the clay.

Finally one doubt, The clay u bought it from potter u directly used it or did u processed and used?

1 person likes this.
  5. geetharao

geetharao Gold IL'ite

Hi,

I really don't know much about the processed clay or whatever......

I just used it directly. The person who gave me insisted to use it directly...So I did the same...

I don't even know how a clay which is not processed look like or the difference between a processed clay or a normal clay....

6. saradab

saradab New IL'ite

Once again Thanks Geetha,

7. Shethal

Shethal Silver IL'ite

Thanks a lot for the procedure. I have been looking for this for soo long. Thanks for sharing.

1 person likes this.
  8. geetharao

geetharao Gold IL'ite

You are most welcome.......

9. harina

harina Gold IL'ite

T
    hank you Geetha for the baking instructions and i am sure to try it out .since long i was waiting for the process and i heard that you should go to the potter for baking your things and it is very difficult to find a potter nowadays.....Thank you once again

1 person likes this.
  10. geetharao

geetharao Gold IL'ite

You are welcome.....