1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Banks and Bankers

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Nov 12, 2007.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Bankers And Banks

Today a Govt Private Bank officer along with his senior came calling to give me a box of Dry Fruits. Another Banker gave me a Royal Challenge In Mumbai we used to give the bankers gifts at Diwali, and here it is the opposite.Maybe the competition has spurred them up to keep their clients happy.

I remember, around 10 yrs back,a nationalised Bank, where i had a few Fixed Deposits, the manager came calling on Diwali.I was very surprised as he gave me a 100 gm Silver coin,which i still have and use for prayers on Diwali Day,and a box of sweets.I was so proud of it that i used to boast for quite some to my friends that a banker has come to give me gift on Diwali and not the other way around.

Later on i came to know why i was the chosen one.The manager had the second copies of the FD's in the bank.Those days the rate of interest was 12%,if i take a loan on it for myself, i am charged 2.5% extra, that is 14.50%, and if i keep my FD in lieu for a third person, the bank would charge 21% from that person.This manager,misused our FD's, by forging my signatures, and giving loans to third parties at 21%, and showing in the books that kamal himself has taken a loan at 14.5%, and give to the outsider for 21%.At the time of repayment, he used to tell the borrower, to give him two cheques, one for the 14.5%, which used to go to bank to clear off my fd, and the balance he used to pocket himself.He did this with many depositers of the bank.The difference of 6.5% the manager used to pocket himself.

So when he was caught, he had made a few lakhs of rupees in the difference.But when the investigator asked me my opinion,i said he was the best banker i had seen.He returned the bank money with interest,and he was very generous in the bank to me and the staff, ordering a 100 rupees worth of samosas and tea for everyone.The staff too was happy with him.The borrowers also said, that without colateral , he gave them lakhs as loans, which no other bank ever gave them

Now i know there is no free lunch.This guy made Gold out of me, and gave me silver instead.Never mind, nice guy.He stands suspended as of now.

Today the bankers who came to give me Dry Fruits,told me a few secrets of the other Banks, and how they operate.To please big depositers, some private Banks even offer to send the plumber or electrician contracted with the bank to fix the client's problems.Banks like ICICI, are a fish market.Everything is to be put in a drop box, no receipt given.They dont have the branch telephone no, just a call centre.To ask somethingu have to take a token and sit for at least half an hour, till yr number comes.To depoist Cash,first stand inline to give cash, which is deposited in an enveloppe,and u are told to stay put, and again when yr number comes , then the notes are counted by another chap, and the receipt given.This takes an hour at least.

Another Bank asks their good clients what vegetables and fruits they buy each month or week,and how much.they then offer to buy the vegetabes for them , debit their accounts for the same, and offer to deliver free of charge to the client's home.Well, well.In my case they might ask me, the brand of fish and whiskey that i take eh ! I am so easy to please really.

Nationalised Banks are much better these days.They are more personal,and on phone tell u the balance,and even they bring gifts for clients on Diwali.Last year , the nationalised bank manager gave me a bottle of Royal Challenge,a box of dry fruits, and a telephone instrument.Not bad for a nationalised bank,their services have improved tremendously, all because of the competition maybe, and surprisingly the private banks service has detoriated.Ironic are the ways of the banking world.This year lets see what the surprise is.And my nationalized Bank is now open even on Sundays till 12 pm.

The only difference i find is that the ladies are prettier in the private Banks than the nationalised ones,but my money is safe with the Govt Banks so i give the pretty faces the good bye.Better my money safe with a Grandmother,than being broke with a pretty female.

That reminds me of a Bank called " Lord Krishna Bank".Well decorated, they offer 1 % more than other banks.But i always fear, when i go asking for my money back, the manager may say one day " Sir , sorry,Lord Krishna took away the money last night.You go ask him ! The name puts me off.

And we have the cooperative Banks.The managers are very cooperative of these cooperatives,but they go bankrupt fast, and there is no releif from the Govt of India.There is a bank in Mumbai called " Apna Bank in Lower Parel.the Manager might one day say,Sir this money is Apna( Ours).So that too i Avoid.

And i always wonder about this.They say a Mithai maker never likes to eat his own sweets, as he gets put off seeing so much sweets, and the smell puts him off.So a Cashier, who handles crores everyday,should be put off money the same way shouldnt he?

Let me catch a cashier, and find out the answer.I am curious.Happy Diwali.

KAMAL MAHTANI

2. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

My dear Kamalji,

Very well observed and presented elegantly.

The yester years of banking and the present banking...

Well, the charm lies where the customer service is better and clients choose the same & remain as loyal customers.

There are certain noble officers and kind hearted staff in Nationalized banks, yet the problem is too much of workload with less staff ( As the last few years in the name of cost saving, many banks have stopped recruitments when other staffs retire and let the bank work with existing staff as well as the current scenerio is with lots of customers than that of yester years ) the bankers are unable to fulfill their tasks faster.

Still when compared with Private banks like ICICI , CitiBank, who knows how to lure customers first with loan offers and burden him with more un reasonable bank charges & Interests, there by force their customers to pay through nose or customers will have to face their so called associated BPO goondas to collect the dues.

Recently ICICI was forced to pay Rs. 55 lakhs as penalty for their employing goondas to collect dues from the customers.

As the present days even Nationalized banks offer ATM services, Online transactions, customers find it more user-friendly.

The moment when we witnessed many corporate and chitfund operators who swindled lots of public deposits and vanished. we saw common public returning to Banks even the interest is less rather than losing the capital with scruplous private non banking sectors.

I had been operating my business,personal funds with Nationalized bank SBI, Scheduled bankers KVB last 34 years and found their services more satisfactory.

Although they offered loans, I refrained to accept such offers and operating in Current Account as it is safe to operate within our limits.

Banks and bankers are our friends provided we do treat them with our liking.

Subbu

3. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,

It is nice to read your experiences with the Bankers... Unfortunately or fortunately being in the finance side, I have a few intersting encounters with the Bankers... Both Nationalised and Foreign Banks...

Nationalised Bank is like our legal wife... Strict, we have to follow rules and regulations... Private Banks are like stepney of like our girlfriend or a second wife or Baharwali... Whatever name you want to give... She will be taking out all your possession without your knowledge and you will be giving happily without knowing oneday she will throw you out...

With more competition coming in... they all offer attractive interest rates etc... But the moment you go inside... You dont know what hit you.... You will be charged left right and center.... I have seen that happening both personally and Officially...

So... Always remember... All that glitters is not Gold...

4. pammor

pammor Senior IL'ite

I think all of us should forward this copy of Kamalaji`s post to our respective bank managers.Atleast it should be brought to their knowledge,that the customers hav to be taken care of and not the politicians.
    In Tamilnad Politicians get the importance in Bankls and most of the banks are hand tied in front of the Politicians.Worst is our ICICI bank.

5. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

Hi Kamalji

A Very Nice post... I'm not ery experienced in this matter, cos since i started working we have had accounts in ICICI and HDFC, ABN amro, Stan C etc.... ICICI is really becoming a fish market i agree but HDFC and rest are still great....

well kamaji we arent businessmen like you.... and nobody treats us like VIPs in nationalised banks... in fact these days you go to State bank, to open an account, they refuse you upfront, Sorry we cant do it... even if my dad introduced me there... but then PNB, next door gave me asylum...

~Abha

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Abha,

Pammor

Veda,

Subbu,

I just posted detailed replies and they dissappeared , as the page had expired.

I am very very angry with Indus Ladies.This has happened to me many a times, and i dont feel like wasting my time writing comments again.

Indus, please check this mistake , this is very very irritating. we cant write comments again and again, and then it says u are not registered, and when u register, the comments u have written have disappeared.

Thanks to all of u, for yr comments, but i dont feel like writing comments again here. i am very angry with Induis, this has happened many times,.

And one more thing i cant copy my comments on my mouse, as i do on other sites, so that in case they dissappear i can repaste them again .

Why is this so ??????????????

7. Abha

Abha Bronze IL'ite

same here

even i get frustrated with this thing... the whole thing is lost and dont have patience to write again !

i'm sure many others are having the same problem.

Please look into the matter INDUS LADY

8. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Abha,

Thanks for taking this up with Indus.Regards.kamal

9. pammor

pammor Senior IL'ite

Dear all members,
    I am experianced in forums and postings.I hav good experiance in such things so called and mentioned by many and Kamalji.
    Please consider they are our own community .They are all answerable to some one and try to do their best satisfying some XYZ.
    Though I recently joined this site I can see /feel/smell a Strong groupism in this site.
    There are many a head shakes for un necessary issues.It is amazing some write ups get 150 `s of replies and some does not even opened up.
    In a forum where political powder is smeared in abundance to increase the beauty(artificial) of the presentations,u cannot expect right things in right way.But keep up your work.
    We are duty bound to convey what we feel.I am sure that there are many things wrong here.I am nobody to say this,but stillI I wanted to say this.
    Regards to all the good souls.
    Pam

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Pammor,

Hi.Even I am new here, joined in August.I am not aware of groupisms here, though it may be possible..

I too have had 900 hits on some blogs and some don’t have 20 hits.all in the game really.

Now after yesterday I am typing my comments on Word pad and then copy pasting on <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on">Indus</st1:place>, so that even if it gets lost, I still have it on the computer.

Thanks for yr kind comments.Regards.kamal