1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Ban on corporal punishment in schools- is it really happening..??

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by Shanvy, Sep 29, 2012.

1. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Re: Ban on corporal punishment- is it really happening..??

UUUUUuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurgh! I wrote a nice long reply and I lost it!!! Will try to get that train of thought going again...waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah! Oh I am soooooo mad!!! (at myself because this is the second time it has happened today). Rama, get your act together!

2. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

Re: Ban on corporal punishment- is it really happening..??

Ok, Let me try again...

Shanthi, I give presentations on non intrusive behavioral interventions to teachers and parents. These are arranged by a trust where I am a fellow and a couple of schools with tie ups to another organization. In almost every workshop/presentation I hear confused adults..."Are you telling me that I shouldn't discipline my kids? Our students?" Discipline in their mind is
    1)denying the child something
    2) hitting or any other form of physical punishment
    3) Verbal abuse

Discipline is a science and an art.

1) Punishment or negative reinforcement has to be commensurate with the severity of infraction. If we dole out very severe punishments to minor misbehaviors then we've lost the leverage for more serious acts. Similarly if every misbehavior gets the same kind/level of punishment, we've lost the student before too long.

2) Negative reinforcement has to immediate for it to be effective..."you did this two months ago and I've decided to act on it now"...(or even after a few days), doesn't connect the behavior to the response. The student doesn't get the message.

3) WHenever we target a negative behavior, we have to provide an alternate appropriate behavior. If we don't another inappropriate or unwanted behavior takes its place. 'Next time you feel like this, what is another way to express yourself?" is a very important question for students. Because the same situation may come up again and we want them to act in a socially acceptable manner. Yes, children should learn this from their parents...but not all parents have the same degree of parenting skills and not all children have the same personality or learning ability (I am talking only about learning social problem solving skills by the general student body, not those with cognitive limitations).

Aha, so you are one of those high maintenance parents, are you? Sorry I have no suggestions to offer. One of the young children I work with is extremely scared of a teacher in her school. I have told the mom to talk to the teacher and management but she tells me, "Ah, I can tell you but who will listen to me there? Every time I try to speak to someone I can feel the wall going up!" Now this is a place where I've met the teachers...they are very interested and we have great discussions. But voicing a thought in a discussion is one thing and putting into practice is another. (Do you hear the echoes of my 'actions matter more than the right words' here?) I felt quite embarrassed because really I had been of no assistance to the mother or the child..well maybe the mom felt a bit better from talking to me but we couldn't translate into a positive change for the child!

But keep up that loud voice...as a student I was never afraid of getting into trouble...I just didn't want to be the only student in trouble...I know lots of people like that:) Someone else will realize that they have company and join you:)

One of the causative factors here is the 'for profit' concept of education. There are so many people looking for a job...so they can hire teachers at a low pay. They don't have to include essentials like planning time, coordinating time (where they can talk to other professionals and exchange ideas), easy access to materials and a skilled teaching assistant. Teachers end up having to do all the extra work in their spare time...you know how little kids think teachers sleep in school, (because they can't envisage us having a private life)? I think some school admins feel that way too!

Of late there are discussions that government schools should be done away with because they are ineffective and private schools are the way to go forward...yikes! We have got to this stage of inefficiency because we didn't hold the government schools accountable! We have enabled the private schools to rule as they please because parents have no other option. What we need is a strong central body which understands what education is about-the milestones, how to individualize...and how to hold people accountable -admin, staff, and students.

What we really need is an overhaul of our teacher education. I saw recently that Lady Shriram offers a four year undergrad program in B.Ed. Finally it is happening...but what is the bet politicians will have their own 'teacher's college' up and running with collaboration from Universities around the World? (if it isn't happening already)

Besides all these reasons-lack of knowledge, frustration, pressure at work...there is one other factor...it is actually a boundary issue. We can not, and should not lay a hand on someone else's child! I'll leave the parent hitting scene out of this...this is just about teachers and students.

Yes, Shanthi, involving the students is a must...most of the times, students know when they have pushed the buttons. If we catch them when they are young, we can set boundaries and teach them to evaluate their actions. Usually we try to intervene only when the behavior has become entrenched. Students and teachers are not each others' enemies...we are on the same team.

I know what I want to do...I should start a teacher's college where I can go on and on, even if people look at me like I'm from a different planet...too bad I don't know any politician;)

1 person likes this.
  3. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Aww rama, you make me diggg my foot deeper into this argument..let me come back tommorrow a little energised...

4. teacher

teacher Platinum IL'ite

I had more things to write but it was soooo late...so will continue after I hear your thoughts:)