Baking Classes

Discussion in 'Personal Services' started by archana.kc, Apr 24, 2009.

1. tetania

tetania New IL'ite

Hi Archana
    Was just reading the replies to your query posted in April
    I am so happy to hear that Cultural Academy has advanced to giving lessons in cake making..
    I was a student there in the 70's while waiting for my DH to complete his housemanship in MMC
    I remember we did not have a dry grinder to grind our sugar and my partner and I would grind the sugar at the grinding stone at the back(ammikal)
    We also used the veg masher(mathu)to cream the butter and sugar..
    I hope they have a kitchen Aid by now..
    We got the best results and I still use the recipe
    Paying RPS4000 for 30plus cakes is a bargain I tell you
    I learnt the best coconut candy and mysore pak from there
    Each and every recipe holds a prime place in my recipe collection
    I wish I had the time to attend this course
    How I envy you girls for being able to attend their classes
    Now I am a mother of 4 grown up kids and I have taught them whatever I learn't there..
    Thank you to Miss Vasanthy and Mrs Bhatt

Kamala Vasudevan:)

2. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Kamla Ma,

It is so nice to read your memories. I did not attend the classes there, but decided to go with Chitvish's SBS instructions. I may take up icing classes at the academy sometime.Thanks for your memories sharing session, was so nice to read thro!

Love
    Arch

3. shreyashreyas

shreyashreyas Gold IL'ite

Hey ladies,

Also help me. I stay in east tambaram, raja kilpakkam. any body who take cookery classes near by. I am very bad at cooking and would like to learn north indian and other dishes. so please help.

4. anudhivi

anudhivi Silver IL'ite

hi archana,
    where is this cultural academy is?
    do they take any baking and icing classes?
    how about shanta jeyaraj? i have seen couple of her shows in TV for making cakes..

5. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Dhivya,

Cultural Academy is at Santhome, very close to the Church. I am not sure if they offer icing classes, but their baking and confectionery course costs closeto Rs. 4500. I was apprehensive of spending the amount. I do not have any info on Shanthi Jeyaraj, infact not seen her shows too. I have not seen any tamil show making cakes :)

Arch

6. anudhivi

anudhivi Silver IL'ite

hi archana,
    Do you know the course details?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  7. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Dhivya,

Please google on cultural academy, and call them for more details. I did not do the course.

Cheers

Arch

8. bookworm74

bookworm74 New IL'ite

Hi Archana

Saw that you live in Velachery and you have been trying out recipes from SBS. What is SBS. I did see a lot of comments on ChitVish recipes but not sure where I can get the recipes themselves.

Have you tried making breads in chennai? Where can I get the strong flour that is recommended for Pizzas etc?

I know I am asking a lot of questions but I am pretty new to cake making, any cooking with oven and would like to start this year. I picked up a sunflame oven last week and my cake (from a cake mix) came out well but my bread was a disaster.

So if my husband and kids are to survive my onslaught of cooking, I better learn! I do work but can go for classes during weekends. so if you know any, let me know.

9. Jananikrithsan

Jananikrithsan Gold IL'ite

Last edited: Feb 19, 2010
  10. archana.kc

archana.kc Gold IL'ite

Bookworm,

Jan has directed you a forum full of photos and recipes. It is like a pictorial instruction for every recipe. Within the forum, there are two separate threads for Cakes and Buns

Cakes, Muffins, Cookies, Biscuits http://www.indusladies.com/forums/step-step-photos-chitvish-recipes/78797-step-step-photos-cakes-muffins.html

Breads, Pastries, Buns

This would give you a very fair idea on baking. I personally, would not advocate any classes because I feel they are very general and give basic info only. It is not worth spending, unless you have grand plans with baking. On the other hand, if you have someone to learn in person - not in a class, but on a home level - it will help a lot.On a home level, these photos and some reading would really help. I can say this confidently, because I was a total lull in baking about 8 months back, and now I have the confidence to make a recipe work well.Thanks to CV!

Arch